Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Wicklow Roar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Jip wrote: »
    punch card
    /QUOTE]

WTF ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

4 stars (good)
    How do you mean WTF, WTF is a punch card or WTF are they using it ?
    With the SI system including punched starting that we are using if you happen to miss your wave start we hope to be able to accomodate you on

and
    The Sport Ident timing system being used will make full allowance for your wave start time
    Please take care of your SI Timing "Card" when issued as there will be a €30 charge for any cards that are not returned after the event.

I presume it's this system, an electronic 'punch' card and not the punch card in the traditional sense where you punched into work with a bit of cardboard.

http://www.sportident.co.uk/

How do you mean WTF, WTF is a punch card or WTF are they using it ?

Sounds a bit 1950's ... in my head You get a card , and there are circles on the cards and someone has a stamp and they stamp the card and maybe write a time.....also in my head there are big queues

the website helped though thanks !

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, I initially thought the same and was brought back to orienteering in the 80s with your little card around your neck which you punched at each point with the thing that looked liked a stapler, presumably it's advanced a little since I last done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭trentv

4 stars (good)
    Cycled the expert course on saturday and it seems pretty fine.
    Part I is relatively short and lots of small ups and downs, if you get good speed on the downs there's not much left to go up on the other side. ;)
    Part II is the toughest of the three, its long and ascending nearly all the way up to the second run, its not too steep but it does go on for a long time. The road turns in to gravely track for the last couple of Kms and we had to negotiate a couple of cows (with horns, but dont think they were bulls :o) on the way up.
    The road down from the second run is shocking, lol, its a bone shaker, there have been attemps by the look of it to fill the holes but the filling is gravelly mounds dotted all along like random speedbumps. It would take a brave racer to get a good speed going down here. Once you get down this hill the rest of the way is like Part I (obviously) ups and downs. There is one sharp corner at the bottom of one of the hills which needs caution but apart from that the roads were in decent condition and make for good racing!

If anyone did the runs I'd love to know about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I've registered, but am feeling tired and emotional this week and thinking of pulling out.. someone give me a kick please:rolleyes:

still recovering from connemara and have a bit of fluid on my knee..

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    I've registered, but am feeling tired and emotional this week and thinking of pulling out.. someone give me a kick please:rolleyes:

This should do it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcQ4E1cxLJ4

Quitting is a permanent solution to a temporary problem- i like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Where is the bike drop for this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

3 stars (average)
    trentv wrote: »
    The road down from the second run is shocking, lol, its a bone shaker, there have been attemps by the look of it to fill the holes but the filling is gravelly mounds dotted all along like random speedbumps. It would take a brave racer to get a good speed going down here.
    Ain't that the truth.
    Don't plan on spending much time in the saddle for this section.
    The first time I cycled this route I wasn't able to see the road any time I sat down. I think the best way of doing it is to stand the whole way down to Lacken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

If anyone did the runs I'd love to know about them?[/QUOTE]

I did the 2nd run on Sunday mainly to decide on whether to wear my asics or my trail shoes on the day. the way up is on mainly spongy ground, a little wet in places. the way down is a fairly rough surface with loose gravel. It's fairly straight forward but you'll need to be careful with grip here. Reckon i'll be wearing the asics unless it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

I think the timing will be done by punch card, pretty sure I read it somewhere on their site.

As for rain gear, it's supposed to be a warm week and as it's not a particularly long course I'd imagine it won't be needed, but again I suppose we have to wait till we hear from the organisers.

-- This is the reply that I got when I queried if water gear was needed for the shorter (sport)- but I assume that this will change if the weather is good :

"
    Kit list is the same for both races I am afraid - this is the Wickla mountains after all and it is not always all sunshine! "

Enduro wrote: »
    If you're expecting to win then yes, pull out.

Otherwise, just relax and enjoy the event. It'll take you as long as it takes you to complete it. You'll learn loads about yourself, and how to race this particular race, and others like it (and no amount of theorising is ever as good as actual experience). You'll set yourself a target which which should be no problem for you to come back and better next year. What could you possibly gain by pulling out?

I'd say I've more chance of winning the lotto than this race !

sure I'll give it a go for the craic. Will get out in the saddle tomorrow evening and try to get my feet into the plastic clips..( I look totally stupid cycling a new bike and struggling to get my feet into the straps )..
    some practice needed, but at least I won't have to stop at traffic lights so once I get my feet in, I don't intend taking them out again

Wonkagirl wrote: »

I can't kayak, swim or cycle but am going to give it a go.
    That should be enough to guilt you into doing it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Anyone know how many doing the sport and expert? Just curious of the split in numbers.

Also, what's the story with the bike drop on the morning? Do you just leave your bike on the grounds of the Tulfarris House some place at TA1 or will we need to travel on some place else with it?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    watergal wrote: »
    -- This is the reply that I got when I queried if water gear was needed for the shorter (sport)- but I assume that this will change if the weather is good :

"
    Kit list is the same for both races I am afraid - this is the Wickla mountains after all and it is not always all sunshine! "

What do they constitute as rain gear so, just a jacket ? Even in the winter when out on the road/fields I'd still be wearing shorts in the rain, we won't need bottoms would we ? I want to keep my bag as light as possible !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Updated Participant info now posted on the Race Info Section of www.roar.ie

Rainproof bottoms removed as forecast is encouraging (By special "arrangement" with the weather gods ;)) but Final Decision other mandatory kit marked with * on list will be advised on Saturday morning.

We will have 5 waves of approx 100 in each - 2 Experts and 3 Sports

4 stars (good)
    How does the relay system work, i mean the logistics of getting the team members to their start points?

4 stars (good)
    Excuseless wrote: »
    We will have 5 waves of approx 100 in each - 2 Experts and 3 Sports

I presume then there's a typo on the website, you have 4 waves for Expert and only 1 for Sports, I'd say only the first 2 are expert, the other 3 sports ?

I was planning on bag on back. The kayak is quite close to the transition area but would I be right in guessing that you're going to get your feet wet at some stage anyway ?

Anyone here get to do the run part over the weekend ? The hill part looks quite rocky, how is it ?

Are you gonna run from the start to the kayak in bike shoes or just in socks as the kayak starts and finish's in 1 place , so in theory ya could leave bike shoes by the bike ,run do kayak and back to bike and stick bike shoes on ??

Im trying to convience myself that bike shoes are worth the few seconds of changing at the transition V trail shoes all the way espically on hills

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    I'm in the same quandary, I was thinking about just not bothering with the bike shoes and probably doing the kayak barefoot, get to the bike and stick on the runners. I'll probably still bring everything and decide on the day.

Heres some crazy lad doing a demo on the 1950's chip thing they are using.....I presume there will be a fair amount of stations that you can finger !

http://www.youtube.com/user/sportidentrun#p/f/0/hLjRKsGxNjA

Im liking the barefoot kayak option -

Anyone have rough idea what time they wanna do the sport one in or what the winner would go round in ?

3 stars (average)
    I'm in the same quandary, I was thinking about just not bothering with the bike shoes and probably doing the kayak barefoot, get to the bike and stick on the runners. I'll probably still bring everything and decide on the day.
    Woudl you not just do the kayak stage in your trail runners, and just hop on the bike.
    Then there's no faffing around with putting shoes on wet, gritty feet. You just hop on bike and off you go.
    Your feet will be well dry by the time it comes for them to get wet again on the run.

Robertd_07 wrote: »
    Woudl you not just do the kayak stage in your trail runners, and just hop on the bike.
    Then there's no faffing around with putting shoes on wet, gritty feet. You just hop on bike and off you go.
    Your feet will be well dry by the time it comes for them to get wet again on the run.

were talking about road bike shoes.......like ones that clip in

3 stars (average)
    Sorry, thought you'd knocked the bike shoes on the head. Misread that.
    I'll be wearing trail shoes for the whole race. Worked for WAR. Should work for this.

watergal wrote: »
    I can't kayak, swim or cycle but am going to give it a go.
    That should be enough to guilt you into doing it !

haha- ok, you've shamed me into it so... tks;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Very few girls doing expert on this I notice. It was the same in WAR. Wonder why that is?

I already emailed to ask, but will mention here too... Is there any registration at Tulfaris on Friday evening? Ill be up and it would be nice to avoid an early morning queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

I wore Clips with trail shoes in WAR and glad I did but does anyone know what the top 10 - cycling shoes or clips?

Oryx wrote: »
    Very few girls doing expert on this I notice. It was the same in WAR. Wonder why that is?

I already emailed to ask, but will mention here too... Is there any registration at Tulfaris on Friday evening? Ill be up and it would be nice to avoid an early morning queue.

Yeah you can register in tulfaris on fri eve but only until 6pm.. the late reg was on thurs nite (tonite) which was a real balls- didnt suit me- late reg tomo nite would tho... sat morn it is i guess!

There is no reg in Tulfarris tonight Fri Wonkagirl :eek:!

Reg in Cycle Superstore until 5.30 tonight we have said but in reality we will be there until 6 when the shop closes.

If you can't make it there then Tulfarris Tomorrow morning
    8-9 for experts
    9-10 for sports

• Advertisement

Based on excellent forecast worth planning to bring plenty of electrolyte laden liquids for before, during and after the race.

We will provide water at TA2 (Tap) and TA3 (Large Bottles - approx 1litre / hd).

Minimum Mandatory Kit:
    Wind or waterproof jacket
    First Aid Kit
    Space Blanket
    Whistle
    Mobile Phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Excuseless wrote: »
    Based on excellent forecast worth planning to bring plenty of electrolyte laden liquids for before, during and after the race.

We will provide water at TA2 (Tap) and TA3 (Large Bottles - approx 1litre / hd).

Minimum Mandatory Kit:
    Wind or waterproof jacket
    First Aid Kit
    Space Blanket
    Whistle
    Mobile Phone

Anyone know where i can get a really small jacket that will fit into a pocket of a cycling jersey in cork today?

I normally bring a bag with me and stuff my larger jacket into it but im going lightweight for tomorrow so everythings going in the jersey.

c montgomery... TK MAXX! all joking aside- they ahve great sports gear.. it's oppposite the bodega.

otherwise, mahers outdoors by the bus station. or john buckleys over the bridge opposite the opera house.. try TK maxx tho ul be pleasantly surprised. i get all my gear there these days. i even got a pair of saloman trail shoes there last summer- that was a stroke of luck tho i think.. thing is, you need to go in there often,the stock changes so frequently and they get deliveries couple times a week

4 stars (good)
    Looks like it's going to be a warm one everybody, I almost feel guilty wishing it would be a cool day instead !

Looks like it's going to be a warm one everybody, I almost feel guilty wishing it would be a cool day instead !

Cramp-fest !

Nuuns.....all the way......

4 stars (good)
    dario28 wrote: »
    Cramp-fest !

I dunno, might need something stronger......

Has anyone got Lance Armstrong's number? :rolleyes:

4 stars (good)
    dario28 wrote: »

Ha, I didn't know what nuun was, I was thinking it was the sound you unintentionally make as you make that final hill on the inward cycle !

Is it any good, you just add it to water correct ? What would people recommend, I'm taking an energy drink before hand so stick with water then with nuun and not bother with the likes of Gatorade etc ?

Ha, I didn't know what nuun was, I was thinking it was the sound you unintentionally make as you make that final hill on the inward cycle !

Is it any good, you just add it to water correct ? What would people recommend, I'm taking an energy drink before hand so stick with water then with nuun and not bother with the likes of Gatorade etc ?

nuuns are good yeah , they are only for hydration and cramps , no sugar included

Depending on what im doing but generally this is my nutrition for something sports sized

Before - 500ml of this http://www.highfive.co.uk/energy_endurance_drinks/endurance_drinks.html

During 800ml bottle of the same stuff above and a nuun included

Then I'll neck one of these maybe before the run..see how im feeling on the day http://www.scienceinsport.com/acatalog/GO-Gel_isotonic_energy_gel.html

Some may think thats prob overkill but I like to be sugarded off my head !

I thought Nunn was a wine... so god help me tomorrow !

think by the time I start ( 12:00) all my energy will be zapped ..

figrolls are good for eating on the go- just take plenty of water with them. I always use them in marathons as I can't bear gels etc..
    also, I'm going to have 2 bananas tomorrow morn (one at brekkie and one about 11.30) to try and keep the cramps away.
    just an idea ! this works for marathons, but I'm a novice at this event so feel free to ignore all of the above !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

2 stars (poor)
    So anyone have any idea of target times??
    I'll start off but not sure how close I'll be...!

Name|Course|Start time|Target time
    Belcarra|Expert Course|10:00|3h15m
    |||
    |||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)
    belcarra wrote: »
    So anyone have any idea of target times??
    I'll start off but not sure how close I'll be...!

GoHard|Expert Course|10:00|3h14 59 sec!
    |||

Don't know about the target times, assuming it's a bit easier than WAR then my time might be close, just wanted to go a second quicker than you Belcarra!

I'm dreading the heat though. Give me some nice Irish drizzle anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

2 stars (poor)
    GoHard|Expert Course|10:00|3h14 59 sec!
    |||

Don't know about the target times, assuming it's a bit easier than WAR then my time might be close, just wanted to go a second quicker than you Belcarra!

I'm dreading the heat though. Give me some nice Irish drizzle anyday.
    GoHard...if that's a realistic time for you, then you're worrying me...I will have to add on an extra half hour I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

photos from today ,well done to all....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40084026@N05/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

4 stars (good)
    belcarra wrote: »
    GoHard...if that's a realistic time for you, then you're worrying me...I will have to add on an extra half hour I'd imagine!

Woah! I was way off! 3h49-ish. Found it harder than WAR. WAR was more runnable I thought. The only part I was running comfortably was the downhill on the 2nd run.

Was fantastic to be able to take a dip in the water afterwards. Happy Days!

4 stars (good)
    Yet again another flawless event guys. The organisation was so smooth you almost didnt notice it, everything was just there where it was meant to be. Even spare water and a mad photographer at the top of a mountain. The weather worked out, I prefer that sun to pouring rain on those roads.
    Great teeshirts too, well worth the extra few bob.
    The only thing I want to apologise for are all the horrible names I called the organisers as I went uphill on the second run. I never meant it. Honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

4 stars (good)
    Great event... like gohard i was expecting it to be easier than WAR and boy was i wrong! The second cycle was a serious energy sapper... a long 19k drag to the top!! Thanks to all involved - looking forward to achill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    Great event again. Definintely one for the cyclists, the 2nd cycle was a nightmare. The 2nd run/hike was energy sapping and the start of the 3rd cycle was rough, lost control for a bit, had a speed wobble and nearly hit a sheep but managed to regain control and enjoyed most of the rest of the cycle back.

Does anyone know if the girl who fell at the kayak section in the 10.30 wave was able to finish? she landed awkwardly at the little jump onto the beach.

Was the bloke on the beach whose runner vanished into the quick sand able to retrieve it? Tried to help him but we were having no luck

3 stars (average)
    guapos wrote: »
    .. nearly hit a sheep but managed to regain control
    Not the first hazard you think of when considering adventure racing.

guapos wrote: »
    .. Was the bloke on the beach whose runner vanished into the quick sand able to retrieve it? Tried to help him but we were having no luck
    Was talking to a guy who said this happened to him. He did find his shoe.
    It just took him a while to figure out which hole it was in.

4 stars (good)
    I think I met that kamikaze sheep too, on that bad bit of road. :) were there many dnfs yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

4 stars (good)
    Hey,

Great day out yesterday, Here's the sports course mapped out from my Garmin Forerunner....
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/34228667

Thanks to all involved, great to get the pics and support from other racers was great, especially on the leg sapping beach run ;o)

Looking forward to GaleForce (and maybe Achill).

Go Team!

• Advertisement
Advertisement