Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work problem

Options
  • 19-04-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

in short my manager uses really bad language towards me/us in work. constantly criticising me in front of others, colleagues and clients, telling me to shut the f up or go fcuk myself and calling me nasty names when giving me instructions such as when asked to file something if i have a question he will answer with just fcuking do it you stupid sl*t etc. i have spoken to him and told him his language is offensive to me and he just laughs it off and says to get used to it, like its all a joke. i work in a edium size office but on a small team. we have no relatiionship outside of work. any ideas? am i just being a baby or is this out of line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems forum.

OP, you can continue to post unregistered in that forum

dudara

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Out of line, file a complaint with HR for sexual harrassment and take note of exact comment with date and time (two or three comments before the complaint is enough). Make the complaint in writing and in a formal note, don't go into personal feelings but simply state factual events, i.e.:

Manger A answered my question on how to file X with "Go **** yourself you sl*t", when I requested the manager to use more appropriate language on date X time Y he laughed at me etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

Do not put up with this! I had this problem a few years ago in a job.Nobody has a right to speak to you like this no matter who they are.
    As the other OP says keep a diary of these things dates and times and witnesses.don't feel bad for complaining, you go there to work not to be spoken to like this.your manager sounds like an inmature N*b!

Chin up and don't let him away with it!

DG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Out of line. I work on a building site (I'm a girl), and lads who even curse in front of me excuse themselves to me. I have never been spoken to like that in my job - or my life - and people would probably assume my place of work would be the kind of place that sort of thing might be said.
    Your boss is....a pr&*k (to use his own language). He's out of line. And to be honest, if I was working somewhere that someone - anyone - was calling me a slut - even just once - I'd be having some very serious words with him. If it continued I'd be leaving. Gone, with an official complaint left behind me. It's not a joke. It's rude, disrespectful, and viciously unprofessional. It makes him look bad not you, but he's just too dumb to realise that.
    Don't put up with it OP. He's way, way out of line, and you are very much in the right. In fact the more I think about it, the more appalling that situation is. You're right and you are most certainly not overreacting. He obviously has no respect for people, least of all his employees.Don't put up with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I'm not a hundred percent on this but as far as i'm aware If you are a member of a union you can go to them they will lodge an official complaint with your supervisors boss possibly human resources, if you lodge a complaint using this route it remains annoymous and it's more official because your work place have to respond to the unions letter with there intended actions or a union rep will be sent out to you job place.

A girl in my wifes office has done this before and her supervisor was suspended for 2 weeks following a review of work practices. I understand you wouldn't be willing to contact human resources as you are putting a face to the complaint and with work the way it is nowadays nobody wants to be the one to put their hand up, there're probably some of your co workers who feel the same as you do. his behaviour is disgraceful sounds like he needs taking down a peg or 2.

best of luck:D

• Advertisement

work prob wrote: »
    in short my manager uses really bad language towards me/us in work. constantly criticising me in front of others, colleagues and clients, telling me to shut the f up or go fcuk myself and calling me nasty names when giving me instructions such as when asked to file something if i have a question he will answer with just fcuking do it you stupid sl*t etc. i have spoken to him and told him his language is offensive to me and he just laughs it off and says to get used to it, like its all a joke. i work in a edium size office but on a small team. we have no relatiionship outside of work. any ideas? am i just being a baby or is this out of line?

He sounds like a proper scumrat :mad:
    Complain him to HR and play the 'stress card' to the max. Say you cant sleep are stressed out, dread coming in to work, humiliated, intimidated which id say in fairness you are after that sh*tbag. To be honest what he is doing is sheer blatant gross misconduct.
    a trip down the dole office might make him think twice about doing it again. if his behaviour continues thereafter see if you can seek constructive dismissal but get advice on it first before acting. remember you hold all the cards and can decide this w*nker's future. good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I know working in construction we have a "dignity in the workplace rule" - so this person is totally out of line

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for replies

im in a union but the only person on my team who is, so if i went that way it would be easy to figure out it was me. Other people on the team find the language unnacceptable but only myself and one other person has said anything. Each time something has been said the manager has basically laughed us out of it for not being able to 'take it' or said ah im only buzzing wit ya or this is just me!! and several times he has said to other colleagues that we fond it hilarious and telling the story in a way that made us a mockery. the manager was recently talking about another team who had a hr complaint. they were saying that person will just have to leave now because to them if you make a complaint on a small team then the repercussions of that will be your life will be made hell until you leave. So i feel its pointless in making further complaints as my manager just uses it to make me a further source of fun and the manager gets further abusive towards me. I kind of think my only option is to leave but obviously in a recession i dont' want to and what would i say in future interviews about why i had left? Thats if i could even get any

Advertisement