Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Types of Paper

• 19-04-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi All

I am getting a photobook printed and have the choice of the following paper types. Has anyone got a reccommendation on which would be best?

148 gsm SilkThe smooth and soft feel of the silk paper provides a slender and professional
    sheen across your images. Options to upgrade to 216 gsm Premium Gloss

170 gsm Matte Textured (Upgrade)A premium canvas-like paper, the matte textured paper imparts a memorable
    touch and is sure to enhance each of your images.

The Matte textured one sounds good but I am printing a photobook
    which will contain a lot of older images and I am concerned about the
    loss of quality this paper possibly may produce?

Anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Completely depends on your taste, I would go for matte.

What company are you using out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

depends on the images, but generally the silk will give you a better percived quality of prints

but the matt will give you a better feel of paper

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Completely depends on your taste, I would go for matte.

What company are you using out of curiosity?

Im using PhotobookEurope

Im going for the 12 x 14 Imagewrap Hardcover Portrait book.

Some of the images in the book are old newspaper clippings though. The mention of "canvas like paper" in the matte paper description is making me a little doubtful though as I am afraid that detail may be lost which would not allow the text of these images to be read.

I just want the book to seem substantial, and i reckon the matte paper would feel more substantantial but just a little put off by that canvas description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

dar_d wrote: »
    Im using PhotobookEurope

Im going for the 12 x 14 Imagewrap Hardcover Portrait book.

Some of the images in the book are old newspaper clippings though. The mention of "canvas like paper" in the matte paper description is making me a little doubtful though as I am afraid that detail may be lost which would not allow the text of these images to be read.

I just want the book to seem substantial, and i reckon the matte paper would feel more substantantial but just a little put off by that canvas description.

If you are in doubt go with silk. Most people dont notice much difference in page finish, just those that are into photography.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ummm i'd go with silk, matt maybe if its gonna be getting grubbing fingers flicking through it, the ol gloss looks so much better tho, but marks easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If it's a photographic paper.. it shouldn't really have a "loss" of quality.. just a different finish on the top of things. I really like a true matte finish myself.

Now.. if it's an inkjet print.. that's a totally different ballgame due to the wicking of the ink into the cotton fibre of the paper. There are newer papers that are better about it.. but in general it can cause problems... BUT... a good printer is going to have the equipment to properly color-profile for every paper they use in every printer they used it in and should still be able to deliver a quality image. I'd ask for a sample of each paper.. preferably with an identical image of YOUR CHOICE printed on it.. even if you have to pay for them separately.. just so you can see exactly what you'd be getting.

dar_d wrote: »
    Hi All

I am getting a photobook printed and have the choice of the following paper types. Has anyone got a reccommendation on which would be best?

148 gsm SilkThe smooth and soft feel of the silk paper provides a slender and professional
    sheen across your images. Options to upgrade to 216 gsm Premium Gloss

170 gsm Matte Textured (Upgrade)A premium canvas-like paper, the matte textured paper imparts a memorable
    touch and is sure to enhance each of your images.

The Matte textured one sounds good but I am printing a photobook
    which will contain a lot of older images and I am concerned about the
    loss of quality this paper possibly may produce?

Anyone have any opinions?

Advertisement