Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on collie pups

Options
  • 19-04-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,
    I've recently "acquired" 7 collie pups and am looking for some advice. The bitch isn't mine and the pups weren't planned so the guy that owns them was planning to drown them. He agreed not to on the promise that I would take them after 6 weeks (A little early I know but its the best I could get).

I'm planning to advertise them soon but am wondering whether to charge anything for them or give them away free? I'm certainly not looking to make any money out of them and no doubt they'll cost me more than anything I'll get for them! But I was wondering about giving them away for free - would it be more likely that people would just take them on a whim and end up not wanting them in 6 months time? Would paying a small price make them more likely to think about it properly? The mother is a border collie and the dad is a collie x. There's 4 girls and 3 boys, all are typical border collie black/white. They were born fri night/sat morning and are all doing well. Any advice welcome! And the bitch is getting spayed as soon as she's able btw!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I agree that you probably shouldn't give them away for free. People might take them to use at bait for fighting dogs or something . . .

I would ask for a small fee. Or ask the new owner to pay for their vaccinations or the cost of feeding them or something. It's not like you'll be making money, since you'll probably be spending more anyway. Rescues ask for a fee, and you rescued these pups, so it's the same.

Poor puppies, it's so good you got them and they weren't drowned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

But I was wondering about giving them away for free - would it be more likely that people would just take them on a whim and end up not wanting them in 6 months time? Would paying a small price make them more likely to think about it properly? The mother is a border collie and the dad is a collie x.

When I was younger our dog had puppies and we sold them for $50 each. My mums theory behind it was that people wouldnt get a puppy for the sake of getting one because there was money involved, but it wasn't so much money that people wouldn't want to buy them either.

Funnily enough they were border collie x collie too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shy

Hi Ya

Would you not be better giving them to your local ISPCA who will look after them and make sure they get good homes. They will spay the bitch for you as well for a small fee or donation.

Fair dues to you for saving them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 equinestudent

Thanks for the replies! I think they're better off where they are at the minute tbh. They're on a farm and have peace and quiet which I'd much prefer to a noisy animal shelter! I've taken over looking after both the pups and the mum so they'll be spoilt rotten!! I'll definatley contact the local spca, just incase they get someone in who might be looking for a pup. Thanks again for the help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd say they're better off with you since you're willing to look after them. Because shelters are always too full anyway and looking for foster homes, so you're saving a space for other dogs there. :)

And a home environment is the best for puppies, where they can get lots of attention, get used to living in a home, and also be less exposed to disease than a shelter would be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

I would charge a small amount to cover your costs which are going to include food, worming, vacinations and it would be advised to consider microchipping them,

Its very likely they were never wormed so I would get some drontal from your vet and get started with this. You can get a syrup for young puppies, the vet will give tell u how much to give each puppy. They probably have fleas as well so will need to be treated for these also

When they are going to their new homes, maybe you could do up a puppy pack for each new owner and they will feel like they are getting something for their money

The puppy pack could be cheap folders from easons which include the following

The free information leaflets from your vet about worming/defleaing/neutering.

Diet sheets with details of what you are feeding them and how often

Picture of the puppies mother

Vacination card with details of any vacs given.

These are just some ideas

Well done for rescuing them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 equinestudent

The puppy packs are a good idea, thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

You can put them together fairly cheap. Type up the feeding sheets,

and give a small amount of food to each new owner. Most rescue centres charge a rehoming fee so I think you should at least cover your costs.

Advertisement