Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA Museum Belfast

Options
  • 19-04-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

went on a visit to it recently. apparently it has been open for three years. admission is free but you are not allowed to leave before they do their best to indoctrinate you. it is manned by former IRA guys. they presume southeners know nothing of the conflict.

all the weapons are deactiated but some are obviously replicas.

I believe there was a thread on this somewhere already, but was unable to locate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    went on a visit to it recently. apparently it has been open for three years. admission is free but you are not allowed to leave before they do their best to indoctrinate you. it is manned by former IRA guys. they presume southeners know nothing of the conflict.

all the weapons are deactiated but some are obviously replicas.

I believe there was a thread on this somewhere already, but was unable to locate it.
    I put up a thread on the History forum about it. Here it is -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882795

" admission is free but you are not allowed to leave before they do their best to indoctrinate you. " :eek: Really, did they put a gun to your head before they tried to brainwash you ? Maybe you should have left the BS for the Walter Mitty forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

lol where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

paky wrote: »
    lol where is it?

its just off the Falls. i think after the Bobby Sands mural (whose smile broadens every time they paint him). you will see a sign saying museum. its in a old mill, which is a building site and looks seriously dodgy.you may thing you are the going the wrong way but its in there.
    you won't leave the place alive if you dare challenge the boys in there.

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    I put up a thread on the History forum about it. Here it is -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882795

" admission is free but you are not allowed to leave before they do their best to indoctrinate you. " :eek: Really, did they put a gun to your head before they tried to brainwash you ? Maybe you should have left the BS for the Walter Mitty forum.

they were not exactly neutral and insisted on a BS spiel which I did not ask for.
    the other side, ie the protestants were a lot less pushy.

they were not exactly neutral and insisted on a BS spiel which I did not ask for.
    Really :eek:. Obviously they have it all worng that that occupation, partition, not having a Catholic about the place, harrassment and assaults at checkpoints, shooting and murder of their relatives and friends has obviously preduiced their preception of the B Specials, RUC and Brits who you know were just as a bunch of polite lads helping old ladies across the road etc
    the other side, ie the protestants were a lot less pushy.
    Really :eek:. Didn't know the loyalists had a loyalist museum. And I'm sure you had a good chat with friends of the likes of Johnny Adair over a pint on the Shankill Road and they were indeed " a lot less pushy " :rolleyes: Maybe you should just stick to the Walter Mitty forum.

( Just in case any of you would ever consider going into a loyalist area to dander around and meet the locals, herre's a good post about the experience of a person with a Cavan reg. car when they stopped for petrol and was lucky not to be beaten up - Scariest experience of my life!!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61012719&postcount=1 )

• Advertisement

Really :eek:. Obviously they have it all worng that that occupation, partition, not having a Catholic about the place, harrassment and assaults at checkpoints, shooting and murder of their relatives and friends has obviously preduiced their preception of the B Specials, RUC and Brits who you know were just as a bunch of polite lads helping old ladies across the road etc

Really :eek:. Didn't know the loyalists had a loyalist museum. And I'm sure you had a good chat with friends of the likes of Johnny Adair over a pint on the Shankill Road and they were indeed " a lot less pushy " :rolleyes: Maybe you should just stick to the Walter Mitty forum.

( Just in case any of you would ever consider going into a loyalist area to dander around and meet the locals, herre's a good post about the experience of a person with a Cavan reg. car when they stopped for petrol and was lucky not to be beaten up - Scariest experience of my life!!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61012719&postcount=1 )

given your user name one can assume that you are not entirely impartial when it comes to discussing the North.
    you seem fixated by the past but for most folks these days the past is the past. who cares about it? the place is great for shopping and you can have plenty of craic there.

most Irish people could not care less who owns the palce so long as people do not get hassled and those days are over.
    british soldiers are no longer on the streets, but if the IRA still want to shoot them they can do so by heroically shooting them when they collect a pizza.

here in the south we have created the image that catholics are the victims, but the hatred on 'our' side is just as strong.

wear a rangers jersey in the republic and you get beaten up. whats the story there? celtic fans fuel the flames of sectarian hatred by singing provo songs.

I drank in a loyalist pub in sandy row and said where i was from. no one had a problem with it, but i guess if you go looking for trouble then you will fin d it. try talking to people instead of lugging around year hundred old stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I drank in a loyalist pub in sandy row and said where i was from. no one had a problem with it, but i guess if you go looking for trouble then you will fin d it. try talking to people instead of lugging around year hundred old stereotypes.

Speaking as someone who regularly travels to Belfast for work, I don't believe this one bit. Either you are making the story up in an attempt to validate your argument, or you are mistaken about the pub.

I certainly don't look for trouble. I keep my head down and go about my business without bothering anyone. Nevertheless, I have encountered an alarming level of hostility from certain elements of the Unionists comunity. Usually when they hear my accent, abuse is limited to shouts of "up the UVF", "Paddy bastard", and "f**k the pope" etc etc. However, on the rare occassion it has turned violent. I have been hit, spat on, and kicked. For what?? Just being Irish. I'm not political, I don't go around broadcasting my nationality. One gang of scum bags evem threatened to " string me up from a lamp post, and my car window was put in. It really opened my eyes to the realities of Northern Ireland, and I have to say when I started working there my sympathies for the Irish communities up there increased greatly.

Now don't get me wrong, I imagine similar incidents can be attributed to the nationalist community. However, as an Irishman I am safer on the Falls road than I am on the Shankill. Thats a fact. You are trying to portray a false reality and I don't know what your agenda is.

given your user name one can assume that you are not entirely impartial when it comes to discussing the North.
    you seem fixated by the past but for most folks these days the past is the past. who cares about it? the place is great for shopping and you can have plenty of craic there.

most Irish people could not care less who owns the palce so long as people do not get hassled and those days are over.
    british soldiers are no longer on the streets, but if the IRA still want to shoot them they can do so by heroically shooting them when they collect a pizza.

here in the south we have created the image that catholics are the victims, but the hatred on 'our' side is just as strong.

wear a rangers jersey in the republic and you get beaten up. whats the story there? celtic fans fuel the flames of sectarian hatred by singing provo songs.

" I drank in a loyalist pub in sandy row and said where i was from. " Well if yuor from the south as you claim, then why would you have to say where you are from when they would immediately know by your southern accent :D

As for all the rest of the BS - " here in the south we have created the image that catholics are the victims, but the hatred on 'our' side is just as strong......celtic fans fuel the flames of sectarian hatred by singing provo songs......they ( museum guides) do their best to indoctrinate you......you won't leave the place ( Republican museum) alive if you dare challenge the boys in there."

Bet your actually from the Sandy Row ? :D

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who regularly travels to Belfast for work, I don't believe this one bit. Either you are making the story up in an attempt to validate your argument, or you are mistaken about the pub.

I certainly don't look for trouble. I keep my head down and go about my business without bothering anyone. Nevertheless, I have encountered an alarming level of hostility from certain elements of the Unionists comunity. Usually when they hear my accent, abuse is limited to shouts of "up the UVF", "Paddy bastard", and "f**k the pope" etc etc. However, on the rare occassion it has turned violent. I have been hit, spat on, and kicked. For what?? Just being Irish. I'm not political, I don't go around broadcasting my nationality. One gang of scum bags evem threatened to " string me up from a lamp post, and my car window was put in. It really opened my eyes to the realities of Northern Ireland, and I have to say when I started working there my sympathies for the Irish communities up there increased greatly.

Now don't get me wrong, I imagine similar incidents can be attributed to the nationalist community. However, as an Irishman I am safer on the Falls road than I am on the Shankill. Thats a fact. You are trying to portray a false reality and I don't know what your agenda is.
    I'll tell you what his agenda is, he's probably from the Shankill or Sandy Row or some other unionist sh*thole like Larne or Poratdaown. Couldn't agree more with you about the Falls etc.

I know I have put it up before on this thread, but this is a post very worth reading regarding a bloke with a Cavan reg. who stopped at a petrol station in Craigavon and was lucky not to have been beaten up when they heard his accent and he tried to pay with euros. Lucky for him the PSNI were nearby and he wasn't beaten up - in front of his girlfriend at that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61012719&postcount=1

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

working class areas anywhere can be dodgy.
    Belfast is safer than Dublin. I was in Ballymun once and I got abuse hurled at me, just because I earn more than a group of scumbags. the place just did not feel safe.

i was in derry and catholics started throwing rocks at us because we were talking to protetsants.

• Advertisement

" I drank in a loyalist pub in sandy row and said where i was from. " Well if yuor from the south as you claim, then why would you have to say where you are from when they would immediately know by your southern accent :D

:D

i am not actually from the south, more the west, and not everyone speaks like paddy whack. normally in the course of a civlised conversation you reveal where you are from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

working class areas anywhere can be dodgy.
    Belfast is safer than Dublin. I was in Ballymun once and I got abuse hurled at me, just because I earn more than a group of scumbags. the place just did not feel safe.

i was in derry and catholics started throwing rocks at us because we were talking to protetsants.

i cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would want to throw rocks at you !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I find everything Fuinseog has said is deeply offensive and I have reported him to the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not that I believe any of this - but..

1) How did the catholics know that they were protestants? (There are many protestant nationalists btw)

2) How did you know that they were catholics (There are many catholic unionists btw)

Your posts smack of hyperbolic nonsense to be honest. Nobody threw stones at you, and you did not drink in a loyalist bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

eth0_ wrote: »
    I find everything Fuinseog has said is deeply offensive and I have reported him to the mods.

It isn't offensive, you just happen to disagree with him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This Mod isn't sure where this conversation is going, but believes that if it doesn't get back onto the topic of the museum and off the topic of throwing rocks at groups of catholics in the Ballymun loyalist pub, it's going to get locked in short order.

NTM

2925178.jpg2925177.jpg2925182.jpg

I actually rang the museum and was told the weapons in it aren't replica's but were the real deal :eek:. I presume under the Good Friday Agreement they have been doctored so as not to be operable.

Here is the link to it. http://www.eileenhickeymuseum.com/

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not that I believe any of this - but..

1) How did the catholics know that they were protestants? (There are many protestant nationalists btw)

2) How did you know that they were catholics (There are many catholic unionists btw)

Your posts smack of hyperbolic nonsense to be honest. Nobody threw stones at you, and you did not drink in a loyalist bar.

its not beyond the realms of possibility to drink in a loyalist bar. you open the door, walk in and order a beer. they even have guinness.

if you never go north then you will always have the stereotype of protestants trying to lynch you just because you wander into their area. these days that kind of thinking is confined to museums.

2925178.jpg2925177.jpg2925182.jpg

I actually rang the museum and was told the weapons in it aren't replica's but were the real deal :eek:. I presume under the Good Friday Agreement they have been doctored so as not to be operable.

Here is the link to it. http://www.eileenhickeymuseum.com/

some of the weapons are replicas, the others are deactivated.

the museum was offered a grant, but they turned it down.

it has a mini library for reserach but the books are not very objective and not really of any value beyond propaganda.
    you can learn a little Gelic there, because it is a vital part of the Nationalist heritage in the north, but it appears to be limited to a few basic phrases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

its not beyond the realms of possibility to drink in a loyalist bar. you open the door, walk in and order a beer. they even have guinness.

Oh, you could walk in and order a beer. But as soon as they get wind of your accent, it's downhill from there. It's possible you have problems differentiating between loyalists and unionists. They are not the same thing.
    if you never go north then you will always have the stereotype of protestants trying to lynch you just because you wander into their area. these days that kind of thinking is confined to museums.

I'm always up north as it so happens, and I never once mentioned "protestant". I was responding to the loyalist bar comment. You could for sure enter a predominately unionist or protestamnt bar, and probably not get a second look. But to say a southerner would be welcomed into a loyalist bar is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Oh, you could walk in and order a beer. But as soon as they get wind of your accent, it's downhill from there. It's possible you have problems differentiating between loyalists and unionists. They are not the same thing.

I'm always up north as it so happens, and I never once mentioned "protestant". I was responding to the loyalist bar comment. You could for sure enter a predominately unionist or protestamnt bar, and probably not get a second look. But to say a southerner would be welcomed into a loyalist bar is just plain wrong.

belfast is one of the safest cities in the world. i am told taht tourist are not targeted. if they go around wearing a celtic jersey then that would be as ill advised as a rangers jersey in teh south.

a lot of the fear we have is based on hearsay. Duirt bean liom go nduirt bean lei....

I can't remember the name of the bar, maybe The Crown in Sandy Row. two of the guys in there told me they had spent time in the Kesh, what for they did not reveal and I did not ask.
    How I would have been received in a Rangers Bar or LOO bar I cannot say, but on the otherhand a rangers fan would not be welcomed in a celtic bar, whether it be in belfast or dublin.

there are pubs in dublin that are very dodgy.any outsider would be at risk. I believe an extreme loyalist bar would be hostile to all outsiders, not just catholics and you have these places everywhere in the world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Enough with the bars already.

NTM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement