Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with wireless signal

• 19-04-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hello, thanks for reading my question, im wondering is there anyway i can increase the signal strength of my wireless broadband. Basically im picking up the signal from a satellite (dont ask,but it is legit) its kinda a commual broadband anyway i can only ever get about 1 mbps.
    the satellite obviously cant be tampered with cos its suits everyone else,im the only one with the crap signal. So is there anything i can do with my comp to speed it up?ive updated the drivers on the wireless but no improvement.thanks again for reading, all replies greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There's usually between 1 and 14 wireless "channels" that your wireless router can communicate on.

Typically your router admin page, or the wireless card in your laptop will let you do a "site survey". Basically that lists all the wireless networks in the area and what channel they are running on.

So try running on a different channel to everyone else.
    The channel should be selected in your routers admin page.

I see a lot of local wireless networks in my neighbourhood running on channel 9, so the signals can interfere with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Thanks for the reply.Excuse my ignorance but any ideas of how to change the channels,or find out which one im running on? Im working on windows xp if thats any help to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Thanks for the reply.Excuse my ignorance but any ideas of how to change the channels,or find out which one im running on? Im working on windows xp if thats any help to you

Have a root around the menus on your routers setting page, wireless channel will be there somewhere. It's listed under Wireless Settings on my Netgear.

In order to see what channel anyone in your immediate area is on you could check out a program like inSSIDer. It'll give you a graphical representation of all channels and help you pick a free channel with no overlap.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Here's a good tutorial vid:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

Here's a good tutorial vid:

Excellent:D
    Might try this later:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

ok not great at trying the old home made satellite job. no ethernet wire unfortunately. tried the metageek program but no joy, i still cant switch channels, two signals overlapping on top of each other which is obviously affecting my signal.thanks for the help guys.greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

maki wrote: »
    In order to see what channel anyone in your immediate area is on you could check out a program like inSSIDer. It'll give you a graphical representation of all channels and help you pick a free channel with no overlap.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Oh... free programs with nerdy graphs of technical information... :)

Advertisement