Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade degreaser

Options
  • 19-04-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

So I nearly went through a £10.99 can spraying the muck and grit off my chain and derailleur on Saturday. My own fault for using too much and not doing it sooner, but it was badly needed.

What are cheaper options to get rid of grease?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use Fenwicks FS-1. Neat you can degrease a chain with it in a chain cleaner, diluted it is equivalent to Muc-Off for general bike cleaning. Used in a chain cleaner you probably only use ~50-75ml so you could get 15-20 chain cleans out of a bottle.

Around €12 for a litre but that makes 11 litres of general bike cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I got the Fenwicks based on Blorg recommendation here on boards and also find it very good. The one litre bottle should last a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I have found WD-40 is a good de-greaser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

blorg wrote: »
    I use Fenwicks FS-1. Neat you can degrease a chain with it in a chain cleaner, diluted it is equivalent to Muc-Off for general bike cleaning. Used in a chain cleaner you probably only use ~50-75ml so you could get 15-20 chain cleans out of a bottle.

Around €12 for a litre but that makes 11 litres of general bike cleaner.

Muc-Off = Rip-Off.
    Any car powerwasher detergent is the exact same sans the stupid pink colour.
    I got a 5l tub of generic deterg in Tesco for around 8 yoyos I think, read the ingredients folks it's the exact same, feels the exact same, smells the exact same, and works the exact same. Can't remember the saying about a duck....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

gman2k wrote: »
    I got a 5l tub of generic deterg in Tesco for around 8 yoyos I think, read the ingredients folks it's the exact same, feels the exact same, smells the exact same, and works the exact same. Can't remember the saying about a duck....
    Well Fenwicks FS-1 is around €12 (I bought it from NI for £8) for 11 litres so I think that is ahead :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

jizer is good,
    comes in a metal 5 litre can, get it in car auto shops. dilutes very well and doesnt leave a residue on bike or on the ground.

i used to work alot with race teams abroad, diesel was their chosen degreaser but then again they could afford new bikes during and after each season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Anyone ever make their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

White spirits or petrol if you are trying to save pennies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Just use your dishwasher

Or if you don't want to get a beating for using the dishwasher for your chain and gears then a dishwasher tab in a basin. Other than that white spirit but that stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gavin wrote: »

Petrol is carcinogenic so it may be a personal false economy in the long term, not to mention the effects on your local environment if it isn't correctly disposed of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

nitrogen wrote: »
    So I nearly went through a £10.99 can spraying the muck and grit off my chain and derailleur on Saturday. My own fault for using too much and not doing it sooner, but it was badly needed.

What are cheaper options to get rid of grease?

Thanks

I use OVEN CLEANER with a toothbrush when im really stuck, don't leave it on to dry as it would leave a white residue, 10 mins would be enough and then attack it with your missus old toothbrush
    it hasn't damaged my rims or painwork, 6 months on, nor has it turned the metal a dodge colour. and ive used it quite a lot. 2.50 in tescos. can't get cheaper than that
    I was talken to tony in Cyclelogical this morning (yearly full service)
    and he commented on how shiny the drive train was, even though it is a year old, i wasn't gonna say it was Mr Muscle ;)
    ALWAYS ALWAYS keep your bike clean as grit and gunk will wear your parts down. costing you a siht load to fix
    your bike and parts will thank you for it
    Not to mention your drive-train & pocket

I have over the years of washing cars and bikes that ive mixed chems to make a better than average bike cleaner that even disperses the water when you rinse it off. and knowing how i don't like girlie colours ie pink !!
    it is a manly blue,

Maybe i should market it and call it (not for girlies!)
    and sell it at a resesh price!in 5ltr containers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

TBH I didn't find the Fenwicks FS-1 that good as a degreaser, Finish Line Ecotech 2 works way better, non aerosol can €12, or 5L for €52. I just use Simoniz Wax Free Car Shampoo for washing the bike, €7.50 a gallon for 2L in Woodies, should do ya for well over a year.

+ 1 on Muc Off = Rip Off

Lumen wrote: »
    Petrol is carcinogenic so it may be a personal false economy in the long term, not to mention the effects on your local environment if it isn't correctly disposed of.

lumen is right, it will ruin your paint, not to mention it will your bike will burst into flames.

that
    nitrogen wrote: »
    Anyone ever make their own?

oven cleaner is that cheap that if you were to buy a dozen lemons
    and other ingredients
    to make your own it would cost more,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've read that oven-cleaner can be used to strip aluminium of its anodising. Pretty much every alu piece you buy will have an anodised layer on it, even the silver bits which use a transparent coat to keep it shiny, so if you let that oven cleaner stay on longer than it should you could be looking at a pretty dull surface afterwards and a constant battle against oxidation thereafter. It'll strip off coloured anodisation too so all you mtb'rs and hipsters with a liking for purple/gold bits, be warned.

I can see why it would be good on steel parts; chains and cassettes &c.

I use halfords own brand citrus degreaser, neat on chain, diluted everywhere else.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I've read that oven-cleaner can be used to strip aluminium of its anodising. Pretty much every alu piece you buy will have an anodised layer on it, even the silver bits which use a transparent coat to keep it shiny, so if you let that oven cleaner stay on longer than it should you could be looking at a pretty dull surface afterwards and a constant battle against oxidation thereafter. It'll strip off coloured anodisation too so all you mtb'rs and hipsters with a liking for purple/gold bits, be warned.

I can see why it would be good on steel parts; chains and cassettes &c.

I use halfords own brand citrus degreaser, neat on chain, diluted everywhere else.

all my parts are highend parts and the likes, and they are still ok after 6 months usage. as i stated don't leave mr muscle on for more than 10 mins, and use a toothbrush to get the dirt and grease off before rinsing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Lumen wrote: »

Speaking of which, what's the correct way of disposing of the degreaser-and-gunk mix? I have a citrus Halfords cleaner which is supposedly environmentally-friendly on its own, but having degreased and rinsed the bike on grass it did some damage to my precious daisies.

Speaking of which, what's the correct way of disposing of the degreaser-and-gunk mix? I have a citrus Halfords cleaner which is supposedly environmentally-friendly on its own, but having degreased and rinsed the bike on grass it did some damage to my precious daisies.

i have an old piece of carpet that i roll out and it soaks into it,
    its as flammable as a fart at this stage.
    your local county co. can dispose of chems for you if you haven't got carpet

natural degreasers can be Vinegar--cider or white distilled--makes a very effective household cleaner. An advantage of white vinegar is that it is often cheaper. Vinegar contains acetic acid, making it effective in removing grease. Take an old spray bottle and add equal parts vinegar and water. Use the solution as you would use a store bought cleanser.
    Washing Soda
    > You can make an effective engine degreaser by dissolving ¼ cup of washing soda soda (sodium carbonate) in one gallon of warm water. Washing soda is similar to baking soda, and can be found with the laundry products in most stores. You could substitute baking soda for washing soda, but it will not clean your engine as effectively.
    Ammonia Degreaser
    > Another effective engine degreaser is made by mixing two parts ammonia with two parts water and one part liquid dish soap. The mixture should be thoroughly combined in a spray bottle, and you should scrub as necessary. Rinse thoroughly.
    so 2 parts wee one part water, there you go free degreaser, even better than cheaper haha, ive loads of wee, who wants sum

I maybe from Tallaght and a tad dislexic but i did well in science! lol
    hope these work for you guys and ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 16 IrelandWest Hillwalking

Gavin wrote: »

NEVER ever, use petrol! Apart from its volatility, general danger, etc, it will dry out the chain too much. Use diesel as a safer, cheaper and better alternative! Diesel will leave an oily residue on the metal after cleaning with it. How that reacts with your chosen chain lube...? I havent noticed a bad effect personally. Alternatively, use Swarfega degreaser (water based... so dry thoroughly afterwards, before lubing) from Halfords amongst others. Very cheap!

My 10 cents worth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

NEVER ever, use petrol!

My 10 cents worth!

You're just back from a LONG hillwalk then, a 5 year hillwalk ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I use the stuff that comes in a 5l drum from the motorfactors. I go for the water soluble stuff, so I know it won't be sticking around in my chain.

Take the chain off, hang it up, spray on some degreaser, run up to the kitchen and fill one of them lucozade sport bottles with really hot water, by the time i'm back at the chain the degreaser has one it's job, and the hot water will wash it away.

If it is really bad get some diesel and a basin and let it soak overnight, agitating it now and again, that should do the trick. I use petrol then on really bad and scruffy looking cassettes, dispose of it by throwing it into the tank of my old banger jeep :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mockler007 wrote: »
    ...I was talken to tony in Cyclelogical this morning...
    Only realised how old this thread was when I read that! Bumped into him on Tuesday night. He was great to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

1 litre of petrol with 1/4 litre of diesel mixed through it. Costs roughly €2 and will do a long time. Removes grease, oil and stains, put it on with a brush and wipe with rag afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Kerosene. Usually have a tub of it after bleeding the boiler. I just use that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 on kerosene.

I have access to a wide range of oils and lubes through work and the best chain clean I've done uses an aircraft engine oil. There is a detergent added during production so I soak a chain in this overnight in an old lucozade bottle (wide neck) so I can agitate it, and next morning the chain is as good as new. Just wipe off the excess and refit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i soak the entire bike in petrol and then put a match to it, all the dirt just burns off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

^^^

Have a read of this then!: http://thecyclingblog.com/i-burned-me-bike/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I use petrol, a paint brush, surgical gloves, gets into a the nooks and crannys and is super at lifting the rust off. Also lime juice is good as it has citric acid, but there's better ways to use lime. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement