Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skellies closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume the Glenview, Marriot etc will also try to poach some of the members, and someone may eventually take over the Skelly premises (would be a shame to see it close completely).

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

That is not good news, I really hope someone takes it over. We (family) love it there and would miss it loads.
    Here's hoping the new potential investor has a rethink as I think Greystones is big enough for both, some competition too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

There is a rumour that the Marriot Hotel is to close shortly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Apparently the Marriott has been taken over by someone - might be rebranded etc.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

No they just broke away from the Marriott branding, it as costing them too much money so I think it's just called Druids glen golf resort and hotel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I hope The Druid's Spa doesnt poach people from Skelly's I go there to get away from the madness of kiddies in the pool and queues for exercise machines.

Big hike from whatever for Skellys to 1300 for a couple in Druids.

And yes Marriot is pulling out of Ireland including Shelbourne and Druid's and Hotel to form the Spa Resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 butterflydream

So it turns out the rumours are true according to this article www.thepost.ie/story/text/eyidgbidmh/

So glad Im with Shoreline :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

It Sucks... Read it in the Sunday Business Post yesterday - Not sure when it's closing though!! Looks like I will be cancelling my membership!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 butterflydream

I just heard that Shoreline in Greystones is offering deals for members of Jackie Skellies to switch over or something if thats of any help to anybody!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

The Marriott Hotel is to become Druids Glen Hotel, breaking away from the Marriott brand, everything to stay the same it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

It Sucks... Read it in the Sunday Business Post yesterday - Not sure when it's closing though!! Looks like I will be cancelling my membership!! :(

Good Luck with that Various threads about been Tied down to a Contract there notorious:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The staff are saying 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Good riddance. But I hope someone else takes it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Ben Dunne will probably grab it. Nice for his portfolio :D

'Did you hear that Jackie Skellie' LOL hate those ads on the radio.

DK32 wrote: »
    Ben Dunne will probably grab it. Nice for his portfolio :D

'Did you hear that Jackie Skellie' LOL hate those ads on the radio.

Ben Dunne is removing the swimming pools from his existing gyms because they cost too much to maintain so I doubt he'd have that much interest in JS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Ben Dunne must be a nightmare for his marketing guys. He sounds like a punch drunk culchie on those ads.

No doubt Skellys will become a building with no tenant just look other bits of Charlesland.

Not sad to see them go but sad to think no one may buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Does this mean the skate park there will have to be closed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    Does this mean the skate park there will have to be closed as well?

No. All the other sporting facilities apart from the gym have nothing to do with Jackie Skellys.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Oh good, as I know alot of children and teenagers who are very grateful for the use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Opus_One

I have it on good authority that JS Greystones are only going to be open for the first 2 weeks in May...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

My membership was up for renewal at the end of march and i got several calls from them asking me to renew. I didn't as I had, of course, stopped using the gym about 6 months previous! But I wonder would I have been given my money back without having to ask twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

My hubby was alos told 6 weeks for JS.

When I joined Shoreline, they told me that they were a community leisure centre, so therefore a not for profit organisation whihc keeps thier membership prices down.
    They also run the basketball courts, runninf track etc.
    I had heard that to get planning permission, JS had to build the facilities there but have no interest in them.

Personally I find it shoreline a great centre, however, it will be a terrible shame if JS becomes a derilict ( spelling???) building.

Merrilady wrote: »
    I had heard that to get planning permission, JS had to build the facilities there but have no interest in them.

I'm pretty sure Zapi built the facilities as part of the PP for Charlesland - not sure whether JS own or lease that building though.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Zapi built the facilities as part of the PP for Charlesland - not sure whether JS own or lease that building though.

Yes, it was Zapi. The JS gym premises was separate from the community facilities they had to provide to get permission to build the housing in Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

in regards to the running track beside Jackies SKelly... is that open to the public?

jobless wrote: »
    in regards to the running track beside Jackies SKelly... is that open to the public?

Yes, it is part of "Charlesland Sport & Recreation Park" along with the other facilities like the skatepark and five a side football pitches. The facility is run my Shoreline, a company set up by the council to run community facilities including this centre and the community centre/swimming pool (and similar locations in Bray).

It's free for an individual to use the running track. You have to ask permission in the office in the car park, and you can't use it if a group has it booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

It's free for an individual to use the running track. You have to ask permission in the office in the car park, and you can't use it if a group has it booked.

just to give you the heads up,it was free but i beleive there's a nominal fee now,something like €2 for the use of the track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Shoreline are offering a months free trial to Jackie Skelly members. At the end of May you can sign up for 3 months upfront or sign up as normal.

Shorelines gonna be pretty busy i'd imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rebel Runner

Shoreline are offering a months free trial to Jackie Skelly members. At the end of May you can sign up for 3 months upfront or sign up as normal.

Shorelines gonna be pretty busy i'd imagine!

I saw on Facebook that Shoreline are anticipating the influx and they are promising to keep all their customers happy, new and old.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Opus_One

Anyone know how much the Druids Glen is and what the facilities are like? Also, how busy does it get?

Advertisement