Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skellies closing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭qwerty2

Opus_One wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the Druids Glen is and what the facilities are like? Also, how busy does it get?

I'm a member of Druid's Glen and absolutley love it :D Have a fairly flexible schedule so just got an off-peak membership (very reaonsable!) It's never been too busy when I go down. Never have to wait for machines etc or swim round people in the pool! Facilities: swimming pool, jacuzzi, two steam rooms, sauna, gym - not the biggest ever, has a few treadmills/bikes/crosstrainers/rowing machine and various other weights machines! Perfect for someone like me, though not too sure how suited it is for everyone! All facilities are kept very well cleaned etc. Staff are all very friendly and helpful etc and you get various perks such as discounts on food and drink/spa treatments and free personal fitness assessments! Go down and have a look around I'm sure the staff there will be more than happy to help out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

and how long are you working there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭qwerty2

dr ro wrote: »
    and how long are you working there?

I don't work there. I was simply answering another post with the most detail that I could using my honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Opus_One

Thanks for the feedback - I'll head along and check it out anyway. Think I'd prefer a smaller quieter gym than a larger new one that suddenly has double the numbers it had the month before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you can payby the moth for shoreline? I am a student and will only be home for the sumer so 4 months... am wondering if its possible to join for just 4 months? Anyone know?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

yes, 54 euro a month apparently, free in may.

I believe the only reason JS is closing is because the landlord won't reduce the rates, apparently the same guy/company who ownes all the spare units in superquinn.

he would prefer to have an empty building then be earning money of it!!

anyone know who ownes it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Sean mulryan and cbr ellis

living in they era of the celtic tiger methinks ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Re Druid's Glen, before anyone asks I do not work there or have any relationship with the place other than I am a past member.

(I left for the simple reason I wasn't using the facilities enough due to work/family commitments)

It is a little more expensive than most and doesn't have as many machines as some but; (adding to the earlier post)

1: It is open from 7am to 10pm every day.
    2: It is open every day of the year. Remember it is there for hotel guests so it has to be available at all times, this includes Christmas Day. A swim on Christmas morning that isn't in the Irish sea!
    3: Use of the pool is available at all times.
    4: Free towels
    5: Free tea and coffee
    6: Plunge pool, wow this was great. Out of the sauna and drop in to the cold waters of the plunge pool. Fantastic.
    7: Yearly members ball, fantastic occasion. Free meal and wine with a smashing band. We also got a free night in the hotel each year.
    8: Quiet
    9: The food discount was good, they do a great breakfast and with 20% off for members I think it came to 12 euro. This is breakfast in a 5 star hotel so it is good. (Full price is 15, not sure how that compares to the price of the 3Qs etc but take my word it is good quality, give it a try. Free paper also)
    10: Finally if you wish you can have a good chat with the hotel guests using the gym, (normally in the sauna) and increase your knowledge of the world!!! I was informed, but never saw, that some of the guests use the sauna in the raw! The norm in some countries you see. So that might be an attraction!!!

I do miss it but I was paying 80 euro a month and it was just too much given I wasn't using it so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'm in Shoreline at the moment. Pretty standard gym, apart from the free classes, which is great. They have an offpeak rate for about 38 euro, you have to be out by 5PM during the week though. Good if you are not working during the day or unemployed...

• Advertisement

Sean mulryan and cbr ellis

I think CBRE are simply the letting agents : Sean Dunne and Sean Mulryan according to the Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/wicklow-leisure-1288415.html

Rent is nearly €400k p.a. Crazy!! Can't see how they expect to get anyone to cough up €9m in the current climate either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Opus_One wrote: »
    Can't see how they expect to get anyone to cough up €9m in the current climate either!

that article is from over 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

it'll be sad to see a big facility like not being used but the gym is like a ghost town these days....
    I know a lot of their troubles are down to the recession and that but Jackie Skellys have never adjusted to it and havent really dropped their prices etc.... a lot of their downfall is also due to their customer service.... i dont mean the frontline staff but i always got the feeling the company as a whole looked on their customers as cash cows and made it difficult to leave... the 60 day notice etc to leave....
    I spoke to a customer service rep from them recently and she was down right rude... i have no sympathy for her if she gets the bullet from her job!

loyatemu wrote: »
    that article is from over 2 years ago.

:o Ha! So it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Anybody know the final closing date for JS Greystones?

Their frontline staff and head office customer service reps say they haven't been given a date yet but I find this hard to believe (based on most of my previous communication with JS staff in general which has rarely been accurate, true or transparent and always biased towards their own monetary interests rather than in the interest of 'customers'). One HQ rep said JS Greystones is 'expected' to stay open for the full month of May but said it was still being decided.

They also say that all members will be pre-notified of the closing date....given how close the closing date is likely to be and the time and cost it would take to pre-notify members I find this even harder to believe.

btw: if I sound cynical JS & my experience with them has made me so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 PJT

I work for JSF and we actually 100% don't know when Greystones is closing!

Management keep us in the dark about everything...

It is staying open until the end of May for definate and will probably close in June. Energie Fitness are taking over this Monday, 24th May and I'm sure we will all find out shortly after what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KarenFa

Energie fitness are still in talks with landlords regarding greystones so if an agreement is reached regarding rent the gym will not close, it will be branded ENERGIE FITNESS but will remain the same inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 PJT

I find it fascinating that I have discovered more about the takeover on boards.ie than I have at work...

KarenFa wrote: »
    Energie fitness are still in talks with landlords regarding greystones so if an agreement is reached regarding rent the gym will not close, it will be branded ENERGIE FITNESS but will remain the same inside.
    Its the same landlord as the commercial units in charlesland which remain empty as the rent is too high.

methings, negotiation here = epic failure.

KarenFA, PJT,

Has there been any update within JS on the negotiations or closing date by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alex M

the swines trade as j.s but are actually called "mapp dance", this is who your direct debit will be paid to. so if you call the bank to cancel they cant see any transactions to j.s. the june payments will be taken as normal on 1/6/10 but the club will be shut on 8/6/10 unless an arab business consortium table a bid to pay the rent.

Alex M wrote: »
    the swines trade as j.s but are actually called "mapp dance", this is who your direct debit will be paid to. so if you call the bank to cancel they cant see any transactions to j.s. the june payments will be taken as normal on 1/6/10 but the club will be shut on 8/6/10 unless an arab business consortium table a bid to pay the rent.

Thanks Alex M, good to know, but can I ask how you know this? I phoned the gym and was told that it was still 'up in the air' but that they 'may' know by the end of this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alex M

i spoke to a member of staff directly when i was trying to stop my dd ( middle of may ) and they advised me to do it before the month was out as management had informed them that the last posible day that they will be open is 8/6/10 and if they were still open on the 1/6/10 they would collect the dd's for june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BobbyJohn

Just been onto energie fitness web site. looks a decent operation, though may depend on which part of the franchise runs. Looks to be a general option, women only option, cheap option and a kids option.
    Could be well worth a look when it arrives in.
    Though the search engine also showed newspaper articals still saying greystones was to close.

Anyone heard anything from energie members yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

My Hubby was down there over the weekend, and appara they ( or someone) is in negotations with the landlord for it to stay open.

Has anyone else heard anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

I rang up last week and heard similar. Staff should know for def in under 2 weeks but they are very hopeful so fingers crossed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43 macmurchu

Was chatting my landlord (family friend) and he said one of his mates who owns a whole host of stuff in Dublin (pubs, cinemas etc) has taken it over and is to keep it open. No idea about the particulars of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I was talking to a friend of a friend of a friend and they told me that the Church of Scientology were taking up the lease, and the Client database. So be warned JS members, you are soon to be abducted by Aliens for a better life! :rolleyes:

PS Rumours and Chinese whispers are great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 macmurchu

Purple monkey dishwasher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Rosiejoe - does that mean Tom Cruise will be moving to Greystones to recruit :D

Advertisement