Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General vision and viewpoint... eh... What?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I have absolutely no idea what I'm being asked to do for the above question, and how to go about answering, anyone able to fill me in :o?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

As far as I know, the GVVP is what message the author/playwright/director tries to bring across in his work. It has to include the analysis of the general point of view of the works and how the events affect your point of view. But then again, I'm pretty blurry on the whole comparative study part of the English course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Ruski wrote: »
    As far as I know, the GVVP is what message the author/playwright/director tries to bring across in his work. It has to include the analysis of the general point of view of the works and how the events affect your point of view. But then again, I'm pretty blurry on the whole comparative study part of the English course.
    Thanks for your input anyway, I appreciate it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

Very similar to cultural context. Just don't mention culture, mention society. Then put in what they're trying to show by addressing the topics you use for cultural context. How easy it is will be down to your level of English and your teacher's choice of texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Pretty much exactly that, I just finished typing a 2,500 word answer to it! Basically the way the author depicts society, and basically how certain aspects of the text (poverty, religion, relationships etc.) affect your... mood, for lack of a better word. As in, is it depressing/uplifting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Pretty much exactly that, I just finished typing a 2,500 word answer to it! Basically the way the author depicts society, and basically how certain aspects of the text (poverty, religion, relationships etc.) affect your... mood, for lack of a better word. As in, is it depressing/uplifting etc.
    Wee/much too long:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Slugs wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what I'm being asked to do for the above question, and how to go about answering, anyone able to fill me in :o?

It's whether the viewpoint that the author is putting across is positive or negative. After that, you just say how said positive/negative atmosphere is created.

Can anyone think of a key moment in King Lear showing a development in the riff between the family besides opening and closing.

Can anyone think of a key moment in King Lear showing a development in the riff between the family besides opening and closing.

Off the top of my head: Gloucester's castle when Lear has his little "showdown" with his daughters before storming off into onto the heath.

Nah, I think that's a bit too close to the start tbh, I'd like something a but further in...

Nah, I think that's a bit too close to the start tbh, I'd like something a but further in...

Actually, that happens half way through the play and leads to the climax of Lear in the storm.

The mock-trial scene might contribute to your answer, as Lear turns against Goneril and Regan completely in his mad state.

After that you're getting into Act Four and the disintegration of Goneril and Regan's relationship over Edmund. But that's probably too near the end for you.

There's nothing in between that of note.

• Advertisement

What scene and act is the mock trial scene?

What scene and act is the mock trial scene?

Act Three, Scene Six. I wouldn't use it in a major way though.

Anything else you can suggest though? Maybe I could use the scene with gloucester getting gouged =/

Anything else you can suggest though? Maybe I could use the scene with gloucester getting gouged =/

Is there a specific question?

Gloucester getting his eyes gouged out doesn't really reflect what's going on within Lear's family at any rate.

theowen wrote: »
    Wee/much too long:eek:

I can type very fast so I will be writing more than most people would do as I'm typing the exam. And also I made it extremely long to shut my over demanding teacher up.

Well I mean it doesn't have to be family, I'm answering the 2003 p2 s2 qb1

"The general vision and viewpoint of texts can be quite similar or very different"
    Compare

So with Dancing, it starts off with a very light optimistic tone as we're introduced to the characters, the return of jack and gerry, and the coming of the lughnasa dance.

Gonna use the scene in the kitchen where the girls are dancing to the mason's apron, to show the growing rift between the sisters, but also to show how the 5 of them have survived together throughout their life

Use the closing scene to show the pessimestic outlook

Billy elliot I'll be going for positive, light opening juxtapose with the harshness of his life

Then I'll use the arrival of the letter and jackie running through the streets as well as being told the strike is over

final scene re emphasis positive outlook

King lear will be going with a negative outlook, but don't know what to say...

Well I mean it doesn't have to be family, I'm answering the 2003 p2 s2 qb1

"The general vision and viewpoint of texts can be quite similar or very different"
    Compare

So with Dancing, it starts off with a very light optimistic tone as we're introduced to the characters, the return of jack and gerry, and the coming of the lughnasa dance.

Gonna use the scene in the kitchen where the girls are dancing to the mason's apron, to show the growing rift between the sisters, but also to show how the 5 of them have survived together throughout their life

As, see King Lear is generally used as the single-text for paper two. Right, well that changes things.

King Lear is never really an optimistic play. In fact, in my opinion it spirals uncontrollably downwards from the minute Lear hands over his power. You can use rifts in both families to show this spiral, in that way Gloucester's eye-gouging scene fits perfectly. It's a depressing play, tbh: families are torn apart by lust for power and lust in general, people are killed needlessly, Lear and Gloucester undergo physical and emotional pain - Lear goes raving mad!

Don't forget that there is a vague trace of optimism throughout the play, though. It takes the form of the "good" children: Edgar and Cordelia. But, on the whole, I think pessimism wins out in this play.

MavisDavis wrote: »
    As, see King Lear is generally used as the single-text for paper two. Right, well that changes things.

King Lear is never really an optimistic play. In fact, in my opinion it spirals uncontrollably downwards from the minute Lear hands over his power. You can use rifts in both families to show this spiral, in that way Gloucester's eye-gouging scene fits perfectly. It's a depressing play, tbh: families are torn apart by lust for power and lust in general, people are killed needlessly, Lear and Gloucester undergo physical and emotional pain - Lear goes raving mad!

Don't forget that there is a vague trace of optimism throughout the play, though. It takes the form of the "good" children: Edgar and Cordelia. But, on the whole, I think pessimism wins out in this play.
    Thanks for the input mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

I can type very fast so I will be writing more than most people would do as I'm typing the exam. And also I made it extremely long to shut my over demanding teacher up.

How does typing the exam work? That an option for everyone or just for people with disabilities etc?

I'd like to know, if I could type, I'd have a much easier time.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055880240
    Read through the thread for everything I know!

Advertisement