Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swap for a Merc

• 19-04-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

An inlaw of mine asked me this morning would I be interested in swapping my 01' 2.0L s80 for his 00 Merc E200 which is also a 2.0L. I kind of laughed at first but I am kind of thinking about it seriously now. Spec wise my Volvo is probably better...
    Both cars are worth the same 3-3.5k ish.. similar mileage on both cars 90k ish.
    Both NCT'd until 2012 aswell. Both are immac cars...

The Merc has no leather but it is immac inside and out....could retro fit leather myself.

Would I look like an off duty Taxi driver with an E class of this generation? I'd hate that :p

I'm not bothered if I swapped or not but always fancied a Merc...
    I do love the comfort of the Volvo but she pulls like a bus, abit of a dog to be honest.
    I find myself swearing more often lately when trying to over take with her..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

Why does your in-law want to swap?
    I sure as hell wouldn't swap my merc for a volvo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd stick with the Volvo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

What's the volvo like on juice?

Because the E200 is foul. I was getting 22mpg out of a 01 auto kompressor, 90% city driving.

If you can live with that, then go for the merc. Otherwise stick with the volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I'd stick with the Volvo, the only thing those Merc's do well is rust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, I think you would come out worse from this swap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That era of E Class is dreadful. Avoid like it's an Icelandic volcano in a bad mood.
    An inlaw of mine asked me this morning would I be interested in swapping my 01' 2.0L s80 for his 00 Merc E200

Yet another reason not to trust inlaws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

angry_bob wrote: »
    Why does your in-law want to swap?
    I sure as hell wouldn't swap my merc for a volvo.

Yeah, well you're a gobsh1te.

If it was anything else like an E39 5 Series then I would maybe consider it, but a low spec W210 E-Class with the crappy four cylinder engine is definitely not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I did not know they had 4 cyclinder engines.....
    I did not make up my mind as yet about it but I am leaning more towards keeping the Volvo incase I regret it.

Just thought I would ask to get more insight into these older E class Mercs.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

S80 vs e200...

s80 please, no, no need for bag, ill wear it! :D

i was considering between those two cars myself and s80 is just way better bargain then e200.

keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

My uncles has an E200K of that era. The money thats gone into that car in the last few months to keep the bloody thing on the road is scary

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »

If it was anything else like an E39 5 Series then I would maybe consider it, but a low spec W210 E-Class with the crappy four cylinder engine is definitely not worth it.

Are you naturally a dickhead, or do you practise a lot ?

No, I just don't like people who make ignorant statements about brands they most likely have no experience of.

No, I just don't like people who make ignorant statements about brands they most likely have no experience of.

And from my prior post, that I own and drive a merc, how do you take I have no experience of the brand?
    I never said that I have no Volvo experience, as a matter of fact I used to drive a 2001 S80, the car the OP is thinking about swapping for, and believe me, until you drive a merc, you don't know what you're missing.
    So, my original question to you still stands, Are you naturally a dickhead, or do you practise a lot ?

And from my prior post, that I own and drive a merc, how do you take I have no experience of the brand?
    I never said that I have no Volvo experience, as a matter of fact I used to drive a 2001 S80, the car the OP is thinking about swapping for, and believe me, until you drive a merc, you don't know what you're missing.
    So, my original question to you still stands, Are you naturally a dickhead, or do you practise a lot ?

As I've said previously, I have forund an S80 to be inferior to an E39 5 Series, but far superior to a W210 E-Class with the same amount of waftability with better looks, quality and even a nicer image I think.

The fact that you simply refer to your car as a 'Merc' and not refer to any particular model tells that you don't know what you're talking about and just another victim of consumerism, presuming prestige brands are always better but for no particular reason.

Now I've probably already earned myself a banning for this, so I recommend that we put an end to this before you do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

VolvoMan and angry_bob both banned for a week for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

i hope every1 knows that the e39 is considered the holy grail of 5 door saloons of that era and sets the bench mark for others which none can reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bmw535d wrote: »
    i hope every1 knows that the e39 is considered the holy grail of 5 door saloons of that era and sets the bench mark for others which none can reach.
    I've never seen an E39 5 door saloon, any chance of a pic?;)

JCDUB wrote: »
    What's the volvo like on juice?

Because the E200 is foul. I was getting 22mpg out of a 01 auto kompressor, 90% city driving.

If you were doing genuine 90% city driving that's quite good really.
    tells that you don't know what you're talking about

Irony anyone ?
    bmw535d wrote: »

They set the benchmark for very poor handling at 100K ish miles unless you lash a good few quid in to them. I drove one recently with a fresh NCT and it was ropey as feck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RoverJames wrote: »
    They set the benchmark for very poor handling at 100K ish miles unless you lash a good few quid in to them. I drove one recently with a fresh NCT and it was ropey as feck.

Maybe there was something else going on there?

The combination of a 5 series E39 BMW and "very poor handling" will not pass an NCT. Because there obviously is a very serious problem out there.

My 115k miles base '99 E39 520 passed the NCT by the way a week or so ago. The car is as tight as a new car. No rattles there at all.

I have a 1993 520 with 155K miles on it and it seems very tight in comparison the the more modern one I drove, no doubt the NCT tester may have been having an off day. It felt very saggy and loose.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

My 115k miles base '99 E39 520 passed the NCT

Off topic :) But you have any idea what mpg she returns ?

Advertisement