Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPOS - Anyone

• 19-04-2010 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hey,

A client of mine is looking at rolling out a new EPOS system to a retail environment roughly about 30 shops.

I'm fairly new to this area but they have two options as far as I can see. Either use a cloud based computing model or use conventional servers/desktops in the shops. I would prefer to use the cloud computing model as everything will be centrally manageable.

The shops are going to be linked by a VPN, all windows enviroment, SQL back-end.

I have an issue with the EPOS, I'd like to use dumb terminals in the shops to cut down on maintenance (virus's, malware, desktop personalisation etc) and keep the C02 as low as possible in the shops. Something along these lines.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Hey JJJRN,

I'm work installing EPOS solutions but I work in the hospitality sector.. If you are looking for low Co2 screens either the Toshibha's provided by Box technologies or the IBM screens are the two of the best out there. These are windows XP based machine tho..

In relation to the cloud computing most of these systems are enterprise based so you would be able to back haul to a single site server and which could be based in a data center but that would prob be a lot of overheads for an epos solution.. If they have a central office you are prob better off basing it there..

Now I'm only basing my suggestions of the Hotel/Bar EPOS solutions but there is a bit of difference there.

http://www.boxepos.co.uk/

http://www-03.ibm.com/products/retail/products/pos/500/

Are the two we use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluetech

Hi,

did you ever get any decent information on ePOS solutions?

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

If its for a number of shops, this is one option:
    1. Have Server § Domain
    2. Have computers connect to the server via the internet
    3. Manage the system from anywhere with an internet connection.

There's some opensource pos scripts you can use. I recommend you search on a search engine like Google.
    obiously you must have a pc to do this option, but being able to manage your business from anywhere is a big bonus.

Take a look at Lemon in the ubuntu software manager, this allows you to,connect to sql, and therefore as many pcs..

If you have any questions, well be happy to help!.
    Have a nice day!

Advertisement