Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imagine Wimax Drogheda anyone got it ?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

hi folks has anyone gone for the imagine Wimax broadband in the Drogheda Area?

i wonder how good it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

• Registered Users Posts: 4 moesart

Honda08 wrote: »

I hope so jus signed up eircom are a joke, ive jus had nough of them @ this stage :( cancelled my account with them 2day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

I know there is another Wimax thread out there but seeing as they're selling in Louth right now has anyone signed up and if so, how do you find the service?
    I'm in Drogheda on a vodafone "3mb" connection which is usually a vodafone "1mb" connection.
    Thinking of switching to Wimax but don't want to go from bad to worse.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! RUBBISH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Xeroid

Hi All, this is my first post. I live in D/A and have had Imagine Wimax for two weeks now. I have the 7mb package, from day one I was getting 500kbs upto 1mb and 100+ ping times. They have a problem with high sites and this is as good as its going to be for the foreseeable future.
    Today I told them to come and take it away, so its back to my Vodafone 3mb which is always around 2.6 mb. So rip off Ireland is alive and well , be warned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

You signed on to boards to say that? You must really not like them now!

Got a call from Imagine team yesterday, and when I mentioned the feedback on "the internet" (I meant here and in midband forum). The girl on phone knew I was on boards.ie! And she was certain that if the 7 mbps service performances any worse than 6 mbps at any time (even peak hours), they would not be satisfying the terms of contract, and I can break contract and leave them without any implications! Not what I read on the Midband forum tbh!

She was also certain that eircom or someone is deliberately trying to blacken Imagine WiMax's image, especially here on boards by commenting negatively about them!!

:rolleyes:

Having said that, I have been struggling with connection drops since Christmas. Vodafone has reported yet another fault with eircom and if they don't find a resolution between them, I may have to check out Imagine WhyMax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

positron wrote: »
    You signed on to boards to say that? You must really not like them now!

Got a call from Imagine team yesterday, and when I mentioned the feedback on "the internet" (I meant here and in midband forum). The girl on phone knew I was on boards.ie! And she was certain that if the 7 mbps service performances any worse than 6 mbps at any time (even peak hours), they would not be satisfying the terms of contract, and I can break contract and leave them without any implications! Not what I read on the Midband forum tbh!

She was also certain that eircom or someone is deliberately trying to blacken Imagine WiMax's image, especially here on boards by commenting negatively about them!!

Having said that, I have been struggling with connection drops since Christmas. Vodafone has reported yet another fault with eircom and if they don't find a resolution between them, I may have to check out Imagine WhyMax!!

Imagine arrived Yesterday morning to connect the Broadband up in my house,Dundalk.
    The Guy tested the signal and said I could get 9MB without external box.
    I'm on 7Mb and made 3 calls spending over 2 hours on the phone complaining about dropped speed and that the Ps3 won't connect to playstation store,I'v 2 Kids going mad.Out all morning, come home and kids still can't play online.I rang the sales rep at 3 o clock.I'l get that sorted and ring you back.::rolleyes::
    Still waiting.
    I think I was mad to change from Eircom.
    I'll keep you posted

This is all very interesting, the wimax sales guys promised me a 7mb package will deliver a 6mb or 7mb download speed guaranteed! :rolleyes:
    Was thinking of changing from vodafone to wimax but what I'm hearing here is putting me off.
    I also got a letter from vodafone today informing me I'm getting a free 8mb upgrade!
    If I get anything near 8mb I'll be surprised/delighted.
    Is there any ISP that actually delivers the line speeds they promise to?
    None of this "speeds of up to 3mb available" crap.....:mad:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My parents are still suffering the vodafone evening speed drops , in the same predicament as to who to change to.

On a 20mb connection here in dublin, it kills me to have to use the internet when I'm up at home :mad:

furiousox wrote: »
    the wimax sales guys promised me a 7mb package will deliver a 6mb or 7mb download speed guaranteed! :rolleyes:

I was a bit surprised when she promised that too. But I am sure you would never get hold the sales person and their promises once you hand over the money. The Customer don'tCare team wouldn't even care what's in the contract, let alone what some sales person said over phone..!! :D
    I also got a letter from vodafone today informing me I'm getting a free 8mb upgrade!

Also with Vodafone, in Wheaton Hall, and I am getting on average 2-2.5 mbps. When Vodafone Support team ran the line tests, they said it's an old line and would only support upto 3.5 to 4 mbps. My current curse is the dropped connections - drops every 20 minutes, and almost always in the last 3 minutes of a game, or just when you are confirming a payment, or just when you have spent ages opening all the right terminals after signing on to the work vpn!! :mad:
    Is there any ISP that actually delivers the line speeds they promise to?

I know someone with Eircom in Bryanstown Manor getting nearly 6-7 mbps off peak, probably newer exchange / lines!

• Advertisement

I have eircom. Here in silk park I get pretty decent speeds. (Although the signal drops when my laptop is running battery ???)

Had wimax for a day and got it disconected, i knew straight away that it was rubbish. Xbox wouldnt connect and nothing would download.

I <3 Eircom...... never thought i would say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mydrogheda

When I sa the adverts for the Wiimax I thought it was for the games console gave my wife a good laugh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Anyone using it for online gaming, stay away.
    You also don't get great speeds when downloading.
    They have to open all ports,taking the firewall off to connect the ps3.
    If you use two ps3s like I do, your screwed.
    They cannot connect 2 ps3s to their server.
    Cancelled them yesterday after 4 days and was told, E100 cancellation fee.
    I told them to go jump, rang the sale rep and told him that they blamed him for telling me that i'd have no problem with the two ps3s.
    He was furious,said heads will roll.
    Back with Eircom now and kids happy to be playing online again.
    It doesn't do what it says on the tin..BEWARE

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The Wimax boys did a massive campaign in Grange Rath with there fancy 4x4's, calling twice over the course of a week. TBH I know anything wireless is crap and with my Eircom connection being rock solid at 3meg there was no way i'd swap, this just confirms I was right.

If this was England or any other country that has developed world communication providers, Imagine would be in prison for daylight robbery and scaming people on thier front door. Legal Theft is a real thing here, see wimax.

If anyone wants to get wimax, just give me your money, at least you know its going somewhere good! :D

Wow is it really that bad?
    The advertising for wimax is really persuasive.
    I would have signed up but for what I've heard here.

CPL 593H

Wow is it really that bad?
    The advertising for wimax is really persuasive.
    I would have signed up but for what I've heard here.

:o

Hi All,
    They arrived today to uninstall Wimax. The guy said I was not the only one in Drogheda to have it removed, anybody who knows enough to check the speed is getting rid of it, his words not mine!
    I live in Millmont Abbey which is probably the highest point in the town. From where the modem was mounted you can see the Cooley Mts! Given that Wimax does not require line of sight it makes you wonder what on earth Imagine are up to?
    Anyway the good news is Vodafone are upgrading us to 8Mb and no contension!! D/A is on the list as complete but I have not recieved word yet. Any one got it yet?:)

Xeroid wrote: »
    Hi All,
    They arrived today to uninstall Wimax. The guy said I was not the only one in Drogheda to have it removed, anybody who knows enough to check the speed is getting rid of it, his words not mine!
    I live in Millmont Abbey which is probably the highest point in the town. From where the modem was mounted you can see the Cooley Mts! Given that Wimax does not require line of sight it makes you wonder what on earth Imagine are up to?
    Anyway the good news is Vodafone are upgrading us to 8Mb and no contension!! D/A is on the list as complete but I have not recieved word yet. Any one got it yet?:)

Got the same letter but not upgraded yet.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mydrogheda

I had a wireless company (I will keep it nameless) a few years back and it wrecked my head - took 3 days off work waiting for their techies to come out and pretend to sort the problem - ended up getting it out. Like them or hate them I have to give it to eircom because for me I have never had a prob with the fixed line service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hatadearg

i live outside drogheda - about 3 miles from bridge of peace as the crow files.
    eircom had me on a 3mb - it was poor - they then told me the max they could give me was 1mb - so asked for rebate - they said sure - so i got the bill - i rang and said is this less the rebate - they couldn't tell me - so i paid half and said - ring me when u know how much i owe u - they never rang - they cut me off - so i rang and they told me how much i owe - and i paid them.

pinging their own DNS servers i was losing 2 in every 10 pings and speed was from 70ms to 2352 ms.

so switched to vodafone - and this is the fun bit - ordered a bundle - talk and Broadband - ordered the router - heard nothing - got a letter from eircom - your calls are now with someone else - still no router - checking BB - still with eircom ..... so rang vodafone - and they tell me - oh we couldn't give you the 3mb package - so we don't do anything less - i said ok - what about my calls - oh we switched them ....... so it went down hill from there -

they now want to charge me a cancelation fee - eircom now want a minimum 6 months for re-connection of calls ....

anyway - rang imagine - wimax - very pushy - but still - can't give it to u yet - another box going up in drogheda - pure spiel - u are in full coverage and all that

so said give it to me - and they have processed and other - there is a €150 installation - but all this penciled in for august .....

so from what people are saying here - i shoud cancel this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sirione

i got wimax in drogheda but the speeds were brutal, was on a 7mb package, but at peak times i was lucky to get 1mb, they couldnt give me a time when it would be sorted so i had it uninstalled. got a letter in the post today to say they had sorted the problem, have they? anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sirione

in newfield drogheda its rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I got that letter as well. Still no upgrade though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Those that are saying its bad, can I ask have they got the indoor or outdoor system?

I got wimax in about 3 months ago, had for about 2 hours and rang them to come take it away.

Today I got a bill off them for 50e. !! I was going to ignore it as I thought it was a mistake. I rang to make sure they didnt have any of my account info, they had all my account info and were going to take the money next week!!
    The package I had was 30e, on the bill it was full of extra ****e that brought it to 50+e.
    They are a scam. Any other country would jail them!

Is there anyone out there that is actually happy with the service?
    And besides rip-off Eircom and terrible service Vodafone, is there any other more decent BB services in the Louth region?

Biggins wrote: »
    Those that are saying its bad, can I ask have they got the indoor or outdoor system?

I had the outdoor modem, 500kbs:eek:.

Well due to Vodafone taking the pee (which one can read about here) I got in the Wimax crowd.
    Now I read a fair bit on the boards broadband section about them and the comments weren't good but a friend of mine got them in a week beforehand and he said he was getting the same speeds that he actually paid for (the 3 meg service).
    So I decide to take a chance.

I have paid for the 7 meg service and it actually fluctuates between 5 and 7 most of the time.
    Occasionally it goes up even higher.

878364161.png

capture4xm.jpg

• Advertisement

Please keep us posted Biggins, my experience is very similar to yours (except that I never had 6 mb speeds, even under BT, but the connection quality was a lot worse than what you were experiencing, and it's not just speed either). And sick of ringing 1907 and have Norah Jones stuck in my head going "Come away with me.." for ever and ever..!

If Wimax works well for you, I might give them a try.

Advertisement