Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tactical Nuclear Penguin; Nanny State

Options
  • 19-04-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭

http://consumerist.com/2010/04/are-you-ready-for-beer-with-32-alcohol-content.html
    It could be the biggest thing from the UK to hit American shores since the British Invasion -- or at the very least it could do more harm to a teenager than a Beatles song. A Scottish brewery is slowly unleashing a beer on the former colonies that contains an astounding 32% alcohol by volume.
    The beer, called Tactical Nuclear Penguin and made by Scottish microbrewery BrewDog, has shipped a small amount of their potent potable to a handful of stores in California and New York. Additionally, stateside folks are also buying bottles of the beefed-up beer through the BrewDog site.
    Reads the label on the bottle:

This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. It is exactly the same manner you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost.
    BrewDog has already faced opposition to their high-alcohol beverages on their own soil. Regulators ordered their Toyko beer, with an 18.2% alcohol content, be pulled from shelves over the company's marketing of the product. BrewDog responded by releasing a 1.1% alcohol beer they dubbed Nanny State.
    Tactical Nuclear Penguin isn't even the strongest beer made by BrewDog. A few months ago, after German brewer Schorschbrau unveiled a beer with a hefty 40% alcohol content, the Scots one-upped them, literally with their 41% offering Sink the Bismarck!.
    One thing that will keep people from throwing back a 32% beer like it's a Bud Lite is the price. One bottle of the Tactical Nuclear Penguin will set you back around $53... per bottle.

Why am I only hearing about this now? The Scots are awesome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

At fifty-odd quid, I'm tempted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

At £35 a bottle it'd want to be special.

I'm frantically scouring the net for the 'this had better be the best beer I've ever had' clip from the simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not satisfied with their less than world-dominating TNP, the brewer is now 'combinging a love for alcohol and taxidermy'

Thats right: You can now drink beer out of a dead-squirrel-bottle.

http://consumerist.com/2010/07/combine-your-loves-for-alcohol-taxidermy-with-beer-packed-in-rodent-carcass.html
    Well, say the folks at BrewDog, their rodent-packed potable "is to beer what democracy is to history... The beer is the last high abv beer we are going to brew, the end point of our research into how far the can push the boundaries of extreme brewing, the end of beer."

According to AdWeek, the beer, which has now sold out, was selling at around $760/bottle. At that price, it may not be the end of beer, but it would certainly be the end of my beer money for quite some time.

I'm at this point begining to grow concerned about the minds behind this brewery. Make sure to watch the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Overheal wrote: »
    Not satisfied with their less than world-dominating TNP, the brewer is now 'combinging a love for alcohol and taxidermy'

Thats right: You can now drink beer out of a dead-squirrel-bottle.

Anyone that thinks I'm drinking beer out of a dead animal can get stuffed.

Advertisement