Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions to Holy Year Cross Hill in Clonmel

Options
  • 19-04-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hello, Could anyone help me out here? I'm looking for directions (I'll be walking) from the center of Clonmel town to the start of the Holy Year Cross hill trail.. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

From O' Connel St. Take Bridge St. and head over to the Old Bridge. you'll cross the river Suir by bridge, follow the road it twists and turns passing over another smaller bridge with a wee Pub on the left that is closed down. Continue to the next Y junction You will see another Pub facing you used to be called the Immigrants Rest. As you approuch it take the street directly to the left of the Pub and continue up that road. This is the route to the Cross. Stay on this road, as you go up there it turns back on itself and it twists much further up. You'll approach a grove of evergreen make your way up the path, its quite rough here and continue up to the cross from there. Weather should be fairish for the next few days. Bring a phone and a jacket it can be breezey up there and a bottle of water and a snack won't go astray. Enjoy the view.:)

Opps...I had reason to be in town this evening so I just checked the name of the immigrants rest Pub. Its now called Bernie macs and the place I said was closed down ( called the bridge Bar ) is in fact open! Sorry bout that guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

you could go up by the Gashouse Bridge too, although the Old Bridge route is probably more direct :)

Map

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Thanks very much.. I was up there a good few years ago and just couldn't remember how to get there.. Cheers for the fine set of directions

Fionn you are correct. I'd forgotten that route, over the the Gashouse Bridge, straight through the roundabout, pass Hillview sports centre on the right and as the road bends sharply to the left there is a trail/path up on the the righthand apex of the turn. It brings you over onto the Old Bridge road to the cross. Is that the one?

Your welcome Bagmagnet, if your planning to go today sometime, its getting quite warm and sunny, some suncream or a hat would not go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I had forgotten about that route as well....Its been years since I was at the cross...down on to Glenary...Great walk...Maybe its time to head in that direction again.I was there when me legs were in short pants...now its me breath:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Is this the big lit up cross? Always wondered if there was a way up to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Yeah..Thats the lit up cross you can see from the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

Can anyone say how far it is to the Cross, in a straight line from the centre of town?

In a straight line..its only a couple of miles. Might not feel like it when you walk it though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

it's about mile and a half or so, seems more when you walk tho!!
    not like the last time i was up there :):):)

landscape.jpg
    :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement