Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Shimano Freewheel 11-28

• 19-04-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for a bit more speed out of my trusty Trek 800, currently with 14-28, 7 speed
    Seems like Shimano did have a 11-28 until about 3 years ago but no more, doh! Anybody have any ideas where I might source one?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

SRAM do an 11-28, same fit. CRC appear to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Hi Greyspoke, thanks for that. Do you mean Chain Reaction? I had a look at their website and could only find the Shimano freewheel 14-28 with nothing for SRAM freewheel. I did omit to say that it was a 7 speed.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I would imagine 7 speed is hard to find these days. Your best bet might be ebay.

hi penexpers
    not really, i've no problem getting a 14-28 7 speed/(cog) which is the one i have already but i want a bit more top speed as i'm starting a 25k round trip commute thru the city centre. the trek is more suited to this than my road bike so an extra few mph here and there would help. i've tried ebay, general searches. seems like shimano stopped making this 11-28 about 3 /4 years ago so my only hope is maybe somebody has one gathering dust on a shelf somewhere!

sorry, that should read a 25km round trip!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You'd be better off training to up your cadence and carry on with your 14-28. I used to pedal a high gear slowly but am now spinning a lower gear and travelling faster. In particular, in a city commute, being able to accelerate quickly can be a benefit.

Less strain on your knees too.

I don't think there were ever 11t freewheel cogs. I think 13t was the smallest they would go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

if you really do want a bigger gear, could you put a bigger chainring on the front?

Hi cdaly, I'm kinda used to using the road bike and the lack of top end on the Trek is a bit annoying esp when 20mph+ on the roadie equals about 15mph or less on the Trek. Still, it's a trade off so being a bit less lazy and upping my cadence will get the job done. A little less speed and a bit more observation in town is probably better for the health anyway.
    Thanks Greyspoke, think I'll stick with what I have after all.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

If you replace the wheel and get rid of the inferior "multiple freewheel" system and go for a cassette wheel, you will be able to go 11-28. The multiple freewheel isn't commonly available with a smaller cog than 14T

Advertisement