Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Length of Radial Circuit

Options
  • 19-04-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

2.5mm twin + earth

It's currenly feeding two double sockets in a shed.

Current cable is about 27 meters long and 20 amp breaker

I need to get two new sockets between the sockets and the fuse board

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

max loop impedance for b20 is 1.5 ohms

max voltage drop(from supply to end of cable) is 4% under full load conditions

you have to meet those conditions and the rules for radial circuits

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

I can't see what your doing being a problem, but as MCebee said you have only 2 criteria to satisfy.

Also, are all the sockets going to be in use at once and what type of loads will be connected to them. If loads are small there is unlikely to be much volt drop.

I'd worry about the impedance more but I cant see even that causing any prob

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Thanks for the replys ,

Well the sockets are on hold...

We are getting low voltage at the meter, 207. ESB were out and they have some work to do..

I think he measured 190 at the last socket so I'll wait and see what happens after the ESB finished.

Anyway, the sockets will never be used all at one time. The guy is using an extension lead across the shed (8 m) and just wanted something safer and above his workbench..

He use's a sanders, drills etc. not at the same time thou! (no heating)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

207V is just on the lower limit for ESBN tolerance(10%) but it's low anyhow

as you said you can't take any useful measurements(loop impedance,vd) in the installation, if there's a supply problem

Advertisement