Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is my last thread like this for a while, i promise!

Options
  • 19-04-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭

Ok so every few months I come here loking for advice to do this that or the other and i very rarely follow through with the project, but now im pot committed!

I have the following components:

Case:
    Antec 300
    Antec 900 (rev1 i'd say)

PSU:
    Corsair Cx450
    OCZ StealthXStream 600W
    Some no name 550w (eww :pac:)

CPU:
    E5200
    q9550

Coolers:
    Scythe Ninja
    Stock Intel

Ram:
    4 x 2gb of DDr2 6400

GFX:
    4850 512mb

Mobo:
    GA-P43-ES3G

Monitors:

22" 1680x1050
    23" 1920x1080

So out of the above i need to make 2 decent Pcs have about €200 to spend

Have made an offer of €110 inc delivery for a 4870 1gb (bit high, but it is sealed. Is this price ok?) so That would blow a large portion of the budget. EDIT: This may change to a 512mb 4870 + a raptor , right move?

So I was thinking of keeping the e5200, scyte and the mobo together as I had it overclocked quite high on stock voltages and temps were grand. cx450 and 4850 would be the obvious pairing (in my mind) with 4gb of RAM and put it into the Antec 300 (Antec 900 looks nicer, but the 300 is a much better desgined case, i presume the rev 2 of the 900 is better). Pair it up with the 22" monitor

So basically I need a second mobo and a cooler for the better computer for around €100. Would like to overclock if possible. Any recommendations? Would you go the same route as i'm thinking with the components?

Dont want to deal with komplett at the moment

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

So out of the above i need to make 2 decent Pcs have about €200 to spend

You need a cheapish P4* mobo, better graphics card and maybe a cheap cooler for the E5200, unless the Ninja isn't doing so well on the Q9550.
    EDIT: This may change to a 512mb 4870 + a raptor , right move?

No. The HD4850 matches up well with the 22" monitor, but you need something with slightly more grunt and at least 768MB GDDR for good performance on the 23", as its 1080p. 512MB cards struggle a bit at Full HD. And even the outgoing current-gen Raptor is only slightly ahead of a bog-standard Samsung F3; the older versions would be soundly whipped by it.
    So basically I need a second mobo and a cooler for the better computer for around €100. Would like to overclock if possible. Any recommendations?

If the Hyper 212 Plus is compatible with LGA775 and you can find it cheap then its a no-brainer for the quad. For graphics I'd look for the cheapest HD5750 1GB possible and OC it just a tad. If you can get a HD5770 1GB for under €130 think about it - they're a bit better than the HD5750 and both are very sparing on power usage. As for mobo for the Q9550, I'd recommend any P35 or P43/45 mobo from good brands like Asus and Gigabyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I'm just wondering what you want the PC's to do?

Advertisement