Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I Have To Pay The Bills For Something I Don't use?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I moved into a shared accomodation recently and my room-mates just handed me the bill for my share of the broadband.....except I don't even have a computer. I had no idea we even had internet until the bill was brought up. Do people normally pay the bills for something they don't use.

Also, my room-mate has had her boyfriend living with us for 3 weeks now and he's home during the day (no job) and i came home today (a very sunny day) to find the heat on full blast. It was even on in my room despite the fact that I had turned it off. So how long before I ask for him to start paying the bills?

help :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

what a chancer, i wouldn't pay anything for the broadband. I had a housemate once who had no computer or anything to connect to the internet and we excluded her from paying for the broadband. that's just plain mean spirited of your housemate to try and charge you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

macy9 wrote: »
    I moved into a shared accomodation recently and my room-mates just handed me the bill for my share of the broadband.....except I don't even have a computer. I had no idea we even had internet until the bill was brought up. Do people normally pay the bills for something they don't use.

Yes, in my opinion it would be expected that you pay your share, unless you specifically negotiated otherwise before moving in. Didn't you discuss bills at all before you agreed to take the room? It's really important to be clear about what bills are there, and how they are divided between the tenants.
    macy9 wrote: »
    Also, my room-mate has had her boyfriend living with us for 3 weeks now and he's home during the day (no job) and i came home today (a very sunny day) to find the heat on full blast. It was even on in my room despite the fact that I had turned it off. So how long before I ask for him to start paying the bills?

help :pac:

Obviously that's completely not on, if he's not paying rent. It will just be a matter of sitting down and discussing the situation with your room-mate, and agreeing what is and isn't acceptable re. friends/boyfriends staying over ... in my own opinion, anything over maybe five nights a month is pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If you agreed to pay your share of the bills you're going to have to pay for broadband - especially if the house was advertised as having broadband.

also don't forget broadband might be bundled with cable (tv) or a phoneline that you did agree to pay for.

If they got it since you moved in and didn't consult you, you shouldn't have to pay.

As for the heating bill.. too bad. If you're not happy paying you'll just have to move out. Women are ridiculous running up heating bills and unemployed people can get cold from not using their muscles during the day.
    edit: just realised he doesn't pay rent.... he should pay rent and his share of the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

one of the people living with us doesn't use his computer in the house so he doesn't pay for our broadband bill. Its fair enough. But we decided to get broadband later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

The place wasn't advertised with broadband and we don't have a tv or phone so its just a broadband bill.

They said to me when I moved in that if I wanted a tv then I could get one. That it was my own decision. Meaning they weren't going to pay for it.

The heat thing is driving me crazy. Who has the heat on at full blast this time of year when technically no one is supposed to be home!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement