Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting Freelander to 2 Wheel Drive ?

• 19-04-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a Freelander at the moment and never need to use the 4WD. I live in the city so it’s of no benefit.

I was think of converting it to a 2WD if this is possible?

If so is it expensive to do?

What would be any likely pros or cons.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Could be legal implications if you had a crash, as this car not designed as two wheel drive only.

I presume your doing this for mpg gains ? not necessarily going to help as Audi found to there their surprise with the original quattro.Appaarently driven tyres have less rolling resistance.

I'd say you could disconnect the rear drive shaft and remove to try out, although car might send all drive to rear and leave you stranded.

All in all not a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I seem to recollect that Freelanders (at least, the original ones) are technically front wheel drive most of the time, with the rear drive coming in via a viscous coupling when there's a speed discrepancy between the front and rear axles.

Given that (and I'm VERY much open to correction there), it mightn't be the greatest engineeering challenge ever faced by mankind to make one front wheel drive only. Whether it would be cost effective, fuel efficient, or acceptable to the owner's insurers is entirely another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Rovi wrote: »
    I seem to recollect that Freelanders (at least, the original ones) are technically front wheel drive most of the time, with the rear drive coming in via a viscous coupling when there's a speed discrepancy between the front and rear axles. .

+1 but i wouldnt worry about trying to convert it to 2wd as they never worked in 4WD to start. Very few customers ever realised that their cars stuck only in 2wd its a well known joke in the trade !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Wasn't there also some issue on the likes of long motorway runs when the normal difference in tyre wear between front and rear axles caused enough of a speed discrepancy to make the viscous coupling lock up, thus providing fully locked four wheel drive on arrival at a slip road junction or roundabout, giving rise to surprising (and allegedly, lethal) vehicle handling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

This is pretty much what you're saying:
    Barr wrote: »
    I have a Freelander. I live in the city so it’s of no benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Surely the obvious thing to do would be to get a car that suits your city driving needs instead of buying a 4x4 and then try to change it into a city car.

If you feel the need to drive an SUV then the likes of kia,hyundai and Nissan all do 2wd versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Angle grinder to the driftshafts outta do the trick. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Urban cowboys and their SUVs ha?

Trade it for something more suitable or live with it I'd say...

Darsad wrote: »
    +1 but i wouldnt worry about trying to convert it to 2wd as they never worked in 4WD to start. Very few customers ever realised that their cars stuck only in 2wd its a well known joke in the trade !!

They are only in 2wd permanently if the rear prop is removed, normally on the road they are 2wd (but the rear wheels are still getting some drive), VCU comes into play when off road and 4x4 is engaged. When the VCU wears it stiffens and may eventually seize, then the IRD and or the rear diff are fecked. They won't be 2wd only unless someone has been at them.

Cons of doing this are possible insurance issues and in certain conditions even in the city you may be surprised by the 2wd handling characteristics. If the system is working ok I would leave it alone to be honest. Fuel savings won't be huge really, if it's a 1.8K they guzzle fuel anyway, if its a diesel the fuel saving will really be minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Good post RoverJames :) Cheers guys , think I'll leave well enough alone.

Thinking down the line the next buyer mite want 4WD and so potential hassle selling on as a 2WD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement