Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grad Customs

Options
  • 19-04-2010 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I was wondering what you have to do for the grad?
    I heard its a lot more than just turning up on the day,
    OBVIOUSLY its getting a suit and everything but like I was told that you have to visit your dates house and give her mother chocolates and stuff
    Is this true and what else is customary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

do u mean the debs?

if so, (in my school anyways) you have to match your tie to the colour of her dress and you HAVE to get her a corsage matching the dress

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

WTF is a corsage?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EmmetWhit

Yeah yeah the Debs

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Ehh guess a corsage,Limo maybe a condom that matches the girls dress;)...other than that everyone in my school just stays out drinking all night and then go to the school in the mourning for one last day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Conor108 wrote: »
    WTF is a corsage?!?

Some sort of flower thing that goes around the girls wrist, not sure if many people wear it anymore.
    As for debs customs, I think it's all been mentioned, match the tie with the colour of the dress and get the mother chocolates. Havn't heard of much else that has to happen but there will be tons of pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EmmetWhit

So you don't need to visit the dates house or for her to visit your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

EmmetWhit wrote: »
    So you don't need to visit the dates house or for her to visit your house?

It depends who's having their debs. If it's her's you should go to her house and she would come to yours if it was your one. You have loads of time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

My debs will me hilaroius!
    Me and my 2 friends are going together and we're going in my dads ford capri which is gold!
    Awww everyone will be laughing at us thinknig what da heck are they at...but sure we wont forget it:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My debs partner is also in my school. Does that mean we have to visit each other's houses? Mine isn't until August, but it sounds confusing and expensive, but I can't wait! It'll probably help considerably that I will be 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

EmmetWhit wrote: »
    I was wondering what you have to do for the grad?
    I heard its a lot more than just turning up on the day,
    OBVIOUSLY its getting a suit and everything but like I was told that you have to visit your dates house and give her mother chocolates and stuff
    Is this true and what else is customary?

Go to your date's house (if she's the girl), bring a corsage for her (ask in a flower shop, they know what they are) and flowers for the mother. Pose for pictures in front of some smiling relatives. Leave and have real fun.

And I wouldn't bother wasting money on a limo. Save your money. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

gant0 wrote: »
    ... maybe a condom that matches the girls dress;)
    Priceless, in fairness! I have visions of a queue of 17 - 18 year olds in Condompower looking for primrose / lilac / chartreuse condoms!! :D
    MavisDavis wrote: »
    And I wouldn't bother wasting money on a limo. Save your money. :)
    This.

Limos are generally a waste of money / make you look like a pretentious twat. If there are 4 or 6 of you, you know someone who will do you a deal, the venue is difficult to get to ... maybe it's worth thinking about. You'll still look like a poser though.

Most schools organise a bus these days, very good idea.

Corsage seems to be de rigeur in some schools; others don't have that tradition. In general, guy goes to girls house to pick her up / go on from there if it's her Debs (or both of theirs). Traditions vary from place to place if it's his alone. Generally, the purpose is to let Mammy and Granny and Auntie Mavis have their "aaaaah!!" moment and take a few photos, and her Dad an opportunity to glare at you and tell you to keep it in your pants ... unless he's very broadminded, in which case you may be presented with a box of condoms colour-coordinated with her dress! :D The idea of bringing a few choccies or flowers for the Ma seems quite recent, but it's not a bad idea really ... you want her on side, don't you?! Doesn't have to be expensive, a few Roses will do nicely.

Advertisement