Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite poet on the english HL course

• 19-04-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be an interesting question to pose, who do you regard as your favourite poet on the english HL course and why?

This might stun a few people, but mine is Keats. I think of all the poets, he takes a very unique and interesting view on many of the themes typical of poetry, he portrays and discusses in a very intelligent manner, (without appearing like a self righteous stuck up prick like yeats) and has many themes I can relate to.

And yourself? :)

Edit: Added Poll :D

Whos is your favourite poet on the English HL course 106 votes

Patrick Kavanagh
    0%
    W.B. Yeats
    25%
    JosephBob the Builderblubloblu[Deleted User]Witcheraine92gant0keenan110bonerjams03monaghanmissusMavisDavisDiabhal BeagalmostneverMayoegianFridaysWellLawlietwhelpyseriousfizzCen92cxh20y 27 votes
    John Keats
    23%
    degausserxoMukaianothernightjam08MmcdDRKylzer911*Miss Ní C*Doodle53shizledazcoOoOROiSiNOoOMaggieNFjohnmcdnlRonan Keatingyourmotherchaoticmesstonyob2Behind you Joeyyesno1234 25 votes
    Eavan Boland
    3%
    Sierra OscarSlugsihavequestionsvalidusername 4 votes
    Adrienne Rich
    15%
    Joe_DullitsokayFordieMUFCAoifey!DancingQueen:)Miss Lockhartdee o geeLiveitgloryutdlegRoRoCullenkevin12345xxGrainnexxPrincess3muffinzitzybitzyfitzy 16 votes
    T.S. Eliot
    5%
    wayhey3_BOoYA_Xlc2010ummteamark.ocwonderfulname 6 votes
    Michael Longley
    15%
    happy_feetCian92tracker-manRuskiale-brenoDGRulzkev9100Crow92MoshimoshiVictoria.JellyBeans92Reckoner91xDancingQueenxIndigo SunriseBobstakinaleakBig Pussy Bonpensiero 16 votes
    Derek Walcott
    11%
    zamciano1SuperSean11unknown13cickimcGordon Geckocli2931juliancallanEinstein?AmyMariaCook!eMonsterjamesyboy100 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Derek Walcott
    It's gotta be Longley! Not much of a poetry fan to be honest but if I had to say! Love Kavanagh too.

HATE YEATS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Eavan Boland
    Gotta agree, can't stand Yeats, or Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Michael Longley
    Eliot. His poetry seems less personal, but more narrative and satire. I enjoy reading his longer poems.

I'm also a bit of a Walcott fan.

I also love writing about Boland. She has to be the easiest poet to talk about.

What you have to take into account is that you have to learn to love the poets which are likely to come up. Those being Boland, Yeats, Eliot, and maybe either Longley or Kavanagh.

Eavan Boland
    Ruski wrote: »
    Eliot. His poetry seems less personal, but more narrative and satire. I enjoy reading his longer poems.

I'm also a bit of a Walcott fan.

I also love writing about Boland. She has to be the easiest poet to talk about.

What you have to take into account is that you have to learn to love the poets which are likely to come up. Those being Boland, Yeats, Eliot, and maybe either Longley or Kavanagh.
    Well I mean, I've no problem talking about Longley or Boland, because they're just so predictable. But liking them? I think that's pushing it just a bit too far :P

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Michael Longley
    Slugs wrote: »
    Well I mean, I've no problem talking about Longley or Boland, because they're just so predictable. But liking them? I think that's pushing it just a bit too far :P

There's no point talking positively about something that you don't feel partial to. There must be something to like in every poet. Unless they're overrated, eg. Longley. Nothing against him but he just seems to be the Leaving Cert student 'mainstream'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

W.B. Yeats
    It was between Yeats and Kavanagh for me. Some of the content of their poems is similar and I can relate to them both But as has been said before, Yeats just seems a little too into himself sometimes. So I went with Kavanagh :)

EDIT: Just for the sake of it, I think Michael Longley's poetry is some of the most boring poetry I've ever come across. Totally flat.

Eavan Boland
    That's because he's plain and simple. War, marriage, racism, reverence for classic literature and wahhhhh my daddy and I didn't connect (which he doesn't STFU ABOUT!!!!:mad:). It's easy to see why he's a mainstream, he's just plain and simple, which is precisely why I'm reluctant to do him if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Adrienne Rich
    I like Kavanagh and Boland but I think Boland is easier to write about so I chose her, really hoping either of these come up in June.

Eavan Boland
    I have a huge problem with Kavanagh. It's not that I don't like him, I love his very naturalistic and intelligent outlook, and I really respect him as a poet, but I just can't relate to him in the slightest... I don't know, I just find it difficult to take in anything he's discussing or highlighting... Anyone else feel the same way about his or anyone else's poetry?

Adrienne Rich
    Anyone else feel the same way about his or anyone else's poetry?

I'm like this with Keats. I like how his poetry is romantic but I just find it really difficult to understand, maybe that's because it was so long ago the language is more complicated. It doesn't help that i'm racing through it in class but if he comes up in June I won't be writing about him.

• Advertisement

Eavan Boland
    I'm like this with Keats. I like how his poetry is romantic but I just find it really difficult to understand, maybe that's because it was so long ago the language is more complicated. It doesn't help that i'm racing through it in class but if he comes up in June I won't be writing about him.
    Well what poets you gonna be doing? I'll be deciding who I'll drop over the May bank holiday

Adrienne Rich
    Well what poets you gonna be doing? I'll be deciding who I'll drop over the May bank holiday

Boland's my first choice, then Kavanagh. Not sure after that. I havn't finished Yeats and not going to do Keats. So it's either Longley or T.S Eliot :confused: I'm starting Rich in a week or two aswel(I think it's too much to do 7 poets but what my teacher says goes). Hopefully one of my first two choices comes up.

Eavan Boland
    Well I think 7 is a bit too much. 6 is the safest bet, because that guarantees you a minimum of 2, but anything less than 6 and you're really trying your luck... o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

Adrienne Rich
    People choosing Longley having a laugh, surely? The fact he goes by the profession of 'poet' is a crime.

FWIW, we've done 7 poets, all but Elliot. I'll be studying Boland, Yeats and Kavanagh. Seem the most likely to come up other than Elliot (haven't done) and Longley (who I refuse to do).

Adrienne Rich
    Sure it doesn't even matter how many poets you've done, it matters how well you know the poets work and how you adapt your knowledge to the question and all that. There's no point looking at the paper in June and seeing a poet you've covered and not knowing how to answer the question :eek:

Eavan Boland
    Sure it doesn't even matter how many poets you've done, it matters how well you know the poets work and how you adapt your knowledge to the question and all that. There's no point looking at the paper in June and seeing a poet you've covered and not knowing how to answer the question :eek:
    Fair point, but that's a lot easier said then done. You need to be able to relate to the poet, or at the very least have an opinion on him/her

Adrienne Rich
    Fair point, but that's a lot easier said then done. You need to be able to relate to the poet, or at the very least have an opinion on him/her

Definitely true, it has to be personal aswel which is quite difficult to keep up throughout the essay. Just practise I guess.

Eavan Boland
    Definitely true, it has to be personal aswel which is quite difficult to keep up throughout the essay. Just practise I guess.
    Or some big time, major league bull****. :P

Adrienne Rich
    Or some big time, major league bull****. :P

Yeah that's usually the way it goes, the first thing that comes into my head normally.:cool: When you only have a certain time to write it gets hard to remember everything so it never really goes to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

W.B. Yeats
    Kavanagh is such an interesting poet. The only reason I like poetry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

W.B. Yeats
    gloryutd wrote: »
    The fact he [Longley] goes by the profession of 'poet' is a crime.

I was thinking of saying this, and even though it does seem a little elitist, I have to agree. Although I'm not gonna hate on people who write about him.

Eavan Boland
    I was thinking of saying this, and even though it does seem a little elitist, I have to agree. Although I'm not gonna hate on people who write about him.
    Fine, then I'll do the honours ;)

W.B. Yeats
    Completely love Kavanagh...have since read loads of his other poetry. Such an honest, simple yet original approach to poetry.

Eavan Boland
    I'm glad to see there's no one for yeats yet ^^ :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Derek Walcott
    Michael Longley

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

T.S. Eliot
    Adrienne Rich FTW!!!!!
    Can't say I'm a fan of any of the poets but I find her the easiest to write about. You just have to stop yourself from writing an essay about feminism!
    No 2. has got to be Boland. Again its clear what she's trying to say.
    | Absolutely hate Yeats and Elliot.
    Paddy Kavanagh isn't bad although I'd say he was a right a*****e when he was around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

John Keats
    I love Yeats and Eliot. Really hoping Yeats comes up. Walcott is nice too. I like some of Longley's poetry, but the selection we learned for school is quite bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Eavan Boland
    Thought this might be an interesting question to pose, who do you regard as your favourite poet on the english HL course and why?

This might stun a few people, but mine is Keats. I think of all the poets, he takes a very unique and interesting view on many of the themes typical of poetry, he portrays and discusses in a very intelligent manner, (without appearing like a self righteous stuck up prick like yeats) and has many themes I can relate to.

And yourself? :)

Edit: Added Poll :D
    I agree with you completely !! I LOVE Keats like his poems are just soo amazing like the language is transfixing !
    I'm really hoping for him to come up this year, but would like Eliot and Boland to come up too for a bit of choice in case the questions are a bit dodgy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I think you guy are lucky this year, the amount of lesbian moaners on last years LC.

• Advertisement

Eavan Boland
    Aye, I heard last years poems were the most depressing bunch ever...

Advertisement