Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite poet on the english HL course

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

W.B. Yeats
    I'm a Kavanagh man myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

John Keats
    Slugs wrote: »
    Well I think 7 is a bit too much. 6 is the safest bet, because that guarantees you a minimum of 2, but anything less than 6 and you're really trying your luck... o.O

Well i'm execting a woman poet or else the gender equality crowd will be up in arms so that's 2.. pity I'd burn Rich is the only problem but sur... gonna do yeats and kavanagh in case I have to..

but my teacher reckons that doing 2 women and your sound... either that or do all the irish poets because there's surely gonna be an irish poet on an irish leaving cert paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Eavan Boland
    Well as I said to myself, there are 4 Irish poets, and two woman poets, one of the 5 of those is bound to come up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

Eavan Boland
    Yeah, Boland and Longley's poetry are easy to write about but I don't their poems. Rather boring to be honest!

I like Keats the best, the themes he discusses and his approach on them are far more interesting compared to the others and he is certainly not at all repetitive...*cough*..Rich.*cough*..

Oh, and I don't like Kavanagh. He complains and loves himself too much. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

John Keats
    Yeats!!!!! You could write an essay on one of his poems alone he's so easy to write on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

W.B. Yeats
    Yeats!!!!! You could write an essay on one of his poems alone he's so easy to write on :D

Glad to see some of yis are up for Yeats! I agree with what you said there, I've only written on Yeats for the past few English exams, the mocks included, I quite enjoy writing about him myself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Michael Longley
    T.S. Eliot, because his poems are so long and absolutely filled with amazing language and imagery, its just so relentless, each line is a tiny masterpiece. The stream of consciousness that he uses is so clever and believable, I can't get enough of him.
    But STUDYING him...well...that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭juliancallan

Derek Walcott
    I'm a fan of Longley but we didn't do him for our course. Damn shame.

W.B. Yeats
    Slugs wrote: »
    Well as I said to myself, there are 4 Irish poets, and two woman poets, one of the 5 of those is bound to come up...
    My class have done Kavanagh, Yeats, Longley and Boland. That's all the Irish poets I think, happy days! Doing Eliot too I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Adrienne Rich
    I can't choose between Boland, Longley and Rick! Amazing poets.. I hate Kavanagh and Keats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Michael Longley
    I wonder how many people would be saying Boland now?!

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's not Boland's fault that she wasn't on the paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Michael Longley
    It's not Boland's fault that she wasn't on the paper!

I know that, but it's still pretty funny, because so many people only seemed to learn her, without learning Rich.. Never try to shortcut a shortcut.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

John Keats
    YEATS weirdly enough, his poetry is interesting to read, style is different, causes you to actually think about stuff LOLZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Walcott, by light years.

An extremely distant joint second are Yeats and Kavanagh.

Haven't done Eliot or Keats, but both seem far more interesting than the remainder. Rich is a horribly whiny lesbian bitch. Boland talks and talks and says absolutely nothing, and Longley is just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Adrienne Rich
    Never done keats, wallcott or elliot. Rich's poetry is annoying as f*ck but easy enough to write on, Im female so I can add in the 'Im a woman so I can relate to her' line. I like boland but thank god I wasn't one of the ones to only learn her, she's easy to write on, as is kavanagh and sometimes yeats. I never liked longley for some reason.
    Still don't know why im still writing in the present as Iv done my last ever poetry essay, and never have to look at rich's horribly feminest poetry again. Unless I repeat that is. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Michael Longley
    Eliot ftw
    "let us go then you and I
    when the evening is spread out against the sky
    like a patient etherized upon a table"

I find the rest very boring though, especially Kavanagh. Walcott seems interesting but I didn't do him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Adrienne Rich
    boland. her poems are so easy to understand i love em!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Michael Longley
    Eliot :)
    Wrote 8.5 pages on him in the exam.
    I love his poetry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

W.B. Yeats
    this year i can't choose what poet i like the most...maybe kavanagh but its more kavanagh himself i find interesting as opposed to his poetry.. boland is boring ...:confused: & i hate eliot...
    Last year i loved studying Montague... he was so interesting and his themes ranged from love to the relationships with his parents..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Michael Longley
    Even though I used to hate him, T.S Eliot will always have a special place in my heart as he came up and his question was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Adrienne Rich
    I know she disappointed a nation, but I still love my Boland :)

Rich, on the other hand, is a creature...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

John Keats
    Has to be Yeats!..I HATE RICH...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

T.S. Eliot
    There's no one I really hate on the course but I find it really hard to write good answers on Boland because (well out of the poems we did) her poems lacked a unifying theme.

Didn't like Rich when we were reading her poems but actually when we finished her up I liked writing about her. I mean, I still slag her off about hating men but I think her poetry is good :) Sometimes it's a bit in your face too much but for the most part I think she's a good poet and the words she uses, you know they're really carefully chosen because you just can't imagine anything else fitting..and her images are really good. Cos it's semi-modern you can relate to it a little bit more than Yeats or Kavannagh I think. Yeats was alright but I didn't really want to go back over Kavannagh, find his stuff a bit boring and too introspective

Who're the poets for next year? Heard some 5th Years saying that Boland has to come up next year.... don't think they got the point of the message from SEC... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 sabrinaspelman

Boland, Dickinson, Kavanagh, Frost, Hopkins, Wordsworth, Rich and Yeats.
    As far I know.

Advertisement