Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good fishing spots in Kildare?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

looking to head out with my trusty rod over the next few days and was hoping for some suggestions around my area that would be worth while and i wouldn`t get in trouble over licenses or farmers shooting me off their land:D.
    It`s just to pass a bit of time,bit of fun nothing serious.

I live in the Milltown area so i suppose i have Rathangan behind me and Newbridge and Kildare Town are all around and the same distance.

I have strolled along the canals a bit but not seen any fish bar a few tiny Roach.
    Clane was mentioned were the Liffey goes under the canal at the aquaduct so you have bit of both.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

You could try a trip down to the barrow near monasterevin for pike.

Liffey is good for trout and pike from the athgarvan weir in Newbridge and then head upriver. You can walk the edge for a lot of it and not be on farmers land. There is about 5 feet from the fencing to the river most of the way and that is common land. It will bring you towards Kilcullen. The river rises very, very fast. If you cross it you may not get back. There are a few deep holes in the river so don't plan on walking with waders unless you have someone with you especially as you walk towards the overpass. Staying around the weir is best spot in Newbridge. Be aware, it is checked regularly for license. Walk a bit upriver to avoid. There are a few fly fishers around the park in Newbridge and they stick to the bend and the shallows. Very deep as you head towards the town but that will be obvious. Again regularly checked.

Never really tried the canals but there are always a few guys around Robertstown. Should be good for pike but I have'nt the patience for setting. Might be good with a frog type bait with the latch on hook to stop it sticking to the reeds and then spinning. Looks like a safety pin system.

Other than that I head for the wicklow lakes but that is checked also by ESB. I think he has a good vantage point of the lakes as he seems to know when we are on it every time.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Havent been fishing in years. I used to go to Digby bridge, or Robertstown on the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Kilcock is a pretty popular spot for fishing, a few competitions go on there each year...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Thanks Damien 360 for the detailed response,plenty of information there.
    I`ve walked the park up and along the Liffey a bit,up towards Athgarvan on occassion,it`s looks good there alright,good to get some local knowledge;).
    I`m trying to get my 11 yr old in to it so somewhere safe with a bit of a trek would be ideal,also the grandad is due to join us so big hikes and wading would be a no no :D.
    Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

Have a look a www.irishflyfisher.ie blog. He does a lot of his fishing around the kildare area. Might give you some ideas.

tco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Silverfox.

Checked out irishflyfisher.ie he did a great review on a fishery on the Curragh.Had a great day there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the stocky lake in Maynooth have some great rainbows in it.

Worth a days fishing. Hooked 15 the last day there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

Hop you have a fishing licence :D:D:D:D:D:D

I think river fishing is out of season at the moment.

The baliffs have the right to murder you and burn your house if caught. Quite extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gsxr1 wrote: »
    the stocky lake in Maynooth have some great rainbows in it.

Worth a days fishing. Hooked 15 the last day there
    Where in Maynooth is this?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Where in Maynooth is this?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.388972,-6.5833&num=1&t=h&sll=53.381217,-6.59226&sspn=0.026627,0.06403&ie=UTF8&ll=53.389177,-6.583128&spn=0.007064,0.01929&z=16

they love all sorts from lures to dryfly. there is also a bait lake and a carp lake

But ye would be mad not to take a flyrod or rent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

I think river fishing is out of season at the moment.

You're right. The rivers are only open from 01 March till 30 September. The private fisheries however are usually open all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

You're right. The rivers are only open from 01 March till 30 September. The private fisheries however are usually open all year round.

how about pike fishing on rivers and canals?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Gregsor wrote: »
    Thanks Damien 360 for the detailed response,plenty of information there.
    I`ve walked the park up and along the Liffey a bit,up towards Athgarvan on occassion,it`s looks good there alright,good to get some local knowledge;).
    I`m trying to get my 11 yr old in to it so somewhere safe with a bit of a trek would be ideal,also the grandad is due to join us so big hikes and wading would be a no no :D.
    Cheers guys.

inter-generational fishing, love it!thats how I was introduced to fishing and why Im so fond of it!

Advertisement