Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston Scientific Half Marathon - Clonmel

• 19-04-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

just saw this here : http://www.activeglobal.com/running/clonmel-ireland/boston-scientific-half-marathon-2010

Anyone know what the route is like ?
    I have never heard of it so i presume its a new one for the calendar...only 45 mins away...Hmmmm...maybe !

Does anyone know of any 10 milers in August/Sept not to far from Waterford ?
    I have one mid October down here,but would prefer on Sept if it suits.
    -Thanks

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 11 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    0%
    3 stars (average)
    18%
    PlodmanRojiblancos 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    36%
    Beefopusbuck65iceage 4 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    45%
    sideswipepab_lowejimmy butlerTipp man runningggp 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Sosa wrote: »
    -Thanks

There is a 9.5 mile race in Ballyhooly near Fermoy in Cork on the 15th of August. There are a 'few' hills in it though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

There is a 9.5 mile race in Ballyhooly near Fermoy in Cork on the 15th of August. There are a 'few' hills in it though ;)

Thanks but dont really see the point in a 9.5m race....

I guess it's more of a challenge race than anything else. 9.5 miles might seem a bit odd but so is the Waterford to Tramore race which is 7.5 miles and that's very successful.

Perhaps if you were interested in something a bit longer then there is the Cork Half-Marathon in mid-September???

Considering that the thread is called the Boston Scientific Half-Marathon :) .....the online entry for that race can be found at http://www.activeglobal.com/running/clonmel-ireland/boston-scientific-half-marathon-2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Cannot find anything about the route yet but will definitely do this.All Clonmel AC races are very well organised and it is great value too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'd be interested in finding out a bit more on this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

RubyK wrote: »

me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

I was talking to one of the organisers last week and he told me that the route is, clonmel to barn, down to knocklofty and back to clonmel via the forest road. Its a flat enough course and a lovely run back to clonmel along the forest road next to the river suir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Thanks but dont really see the point in a 9.5m race....
    Guaranteed PBs all round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

just saw this here : http://www.activeglobal.com/running/clonmel-ireland/boston-scientific-half-marathon-2010

Anyone know what the route is like ?
    I have never heard of it so i presume its a new one for the calendar...only 45 mins away...Hmmmm...maybe !

-Thanks
    10 miler club thing in kk in september. Last year it was the 13th. No problem doing it and i will get you the go ahead if you like..........Last year it was 10.3 miles.........

• Advertisement

cluelessx2 wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the organisers last week and he told me that the route is, clonmel to barn, down to knocklofty and back to clonmel via the forest road. Its a flat enough course and a lovely run back to clonmel along the forest road next to the river suir.

I wonder what you mean by flat enough...i have little interest in climbing mountains....i have to learn a bit more about routes in future,only doing races really to try get a PB....especially ones that involve travelling.

This race would be 8 weeks after Cork,i could do the blarney half but thats the same day as the WLR 10k down here and there is always a great atmosphere at that,so i wont be missing that one.
    Theres a half in KK on the 19th that i could consider also.
    10 miler club thing in kk in september. Last year it was the 13th. No problem doing it and i will get you the go ahead if you like..........Last year it was 10.3 miles.........

As i said abover VR,thats the same w/e of the WLR 10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

2 stars (poor)
    I just signed up for this online. I might run the course next weekend and see what it's like. I haven't been out that road in a while so I can't remember if there are any killer hills etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Nice one...only noticed this thread today.
    Will be signing up for this once the credit card is cleared....

From my vague knowledge of Clonmel, it seems reasonably flat...should be definitely less hilly than the Achill Half in July anyway :)

Beef wrote: »
    I just signed up for this online. I might run the course next weekend and see what it's like. I haven't been out that road in a while so I can't remember if there are any killer hills etc...

Good man Beef,
    You might post here what the route is like.
    Better still,if you have a garmin,you could post the elevation...
    -Thanks

2 stars (poor)
    No garmin unfortunately but I'll stick it up on mapmyrun and add some notes if that's any good to you!

No garmin unfortunately but I'll stick it up on mapmyrun and add some notes if that's any good to you!

Good man beef,thats good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

RubyK wrote:
    me too :D

What would ye like to know? I'm involved with Clonmel AC, and can hopefully answer any questions ye have.

2 stars (poor)
    cluelessx2 wrote: »

Good stuff ob - can you give more details regarding the exact route please? Based on the above I was thinking it starts in the town centre - out the Cahir rd to Rathkeevin, turn left down the country road there and left again back into Knocklofty. From there, in the wood road and back to the town centre (or around the town to make up the miles?). Thanks!

Good stuff ob - can you give more details regarding the exact route please? Based on the above I was thinking it starts in the town centre - out the Cahir rd to Rathkeevin, turn left down the country road there and left again back into Knocklofty. From there, in the wood road and back to the town centre (or around the town to make up the miles?). Thanks!

Yea, you have most of it right, the extra loop is at the start to make up the miles.
    • The race starts on the Quay in Clonmel, there's a small circuit at the start that goes over the left over Old Bridge and left again back around over the Gas House Bridge and back up the quay.
    • From here it's over the Old Bridge again, but taking a right hand turn towards the Dungarven Road.
    • At the roundabout, the course goes right and crosses the Convent Bridge.
    • Then it's left at the traffic lights and out Cahir Road to Rathkeevin.
    • Turns left at Rathkeevin and on to Knocklofty.
    • From Knocklofty the route goes along the Wood Road into Clonmel, straight at the roundabout into the Old Bridge area, and finish by the school (Central Technical Institute).
    There's no real hills, but it's a steady climb from the Cahir Road almost all the way to Barne Lodge (Rathkeevin).

Oh yea, forgot to mention there's a 5k on the same day. The course will be close to 2.5 laps of the circuit that the Half Marathon does at the start.
    Entries for the 5k will be on the day only.

• Advertisement

ob wrote: »
    Yea, you have most of it right, the extra loop is at the start to make up the miles.

There's no real hills, but it's a steady climb from the Cahir Road almost all the way to Barne Lodge (Rathkeevin).

Good idea to make up the miles early,nothing worse than coming near the finish and then having to take a turn to do another mile or so.

Whats the distance from the cahir road to Barne Lodge ?

2 stars (poor)
    Here's a quick map of the route from mapmyrun - hopefully tis fairly accurate:

4598469840_e25125bd6c_o.jpg

Yea, you the mapmyrun screen shot is the exact route.

The course will be accurately measured. Part of this course is used for 10 Mile Race (often used as the County Road 10 Mile Road Race) every year - from about the 2.5 Mile to the 12.5 Mile points on the map above, so if anyone has done that before, they'll know most of this course.

As you can see from the profile, it's about a 2 mile drag from mile 3 to mile 5 on the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Thanks. I think I will give this a shot.The timing looks ideal as a tune-up for Dingle.

The Boston Scientific Half Marathon and 5k run have been rescheduled for Sunday 15th August at 11 am.

The event has been changed due to the Stonethrowers Rally that is taking place in Clonmel on Sunday 8th August.

Clonmel AC would like to apologise for any inconvenience this might cause participants. If this rescheduled date is unacceptable, Clonmel AC will gladly refund your entry fee.

All registered participants should have recieved and email regarding this. Unfortunately there was no other choice but to reschedule the race.

Not too bad,it means i can give Rathgormack a go now on the 6th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Might be a bit too close to Dingle for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Damn...gonna miss this one as I'll be sunning myself in Croatia mid August. Might check the Dubrovnik AC website and see if they've got anything organised :)

Anyway best of luck to everyone on the 15th

ob wrote: »
    The Boston Scientific Half Marathon and 5k run have been rescheduled for Sunday 15th August at 11 am.

The event has been changed due to the Stonethrowers Rally that is taking place in Clonmel on Sunday 8th August.

Clonmel AC would like to apologise for any inconvenience this might cause participants. If this rescheduled date is unacceptable, Clonmel AC will gladly refund your entry fee.

All registered participants should have recieved and email regarding this. Unfortunately there was no other choice but to reschedule the race.
    They had it on the day the munster hurling winners were not playing. Suits me big time providing the cats win leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

2 stars (poor)
    Working up to this, it will be my first HM. Longish drag out the Cahir Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

Does anyone have an updated course map for this? I see on the Clonmel AC site that it's starting at Mary St car park and finishing under the West Gate with the first part being around the town. Course will be marked in miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

2 stars (poor)
    Does anyone have an updated course map for this? I see on the Clonmel AC site that it's starting at Mary St car park and finishing under the West Gate with the first part being around the town. Course will be marked in miles.

Has it changed from the one shown back in post #23 on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

opus wrote: »
    Has it changed from the one shown back in post #23 on this thread?
    Well, that shows a start on the Quay with a loop over the two bridges before heading out. What I understand from the Clonmel AC site is that it starts at the Mary St car park and goes on from there. I imagine the bulk of the course is the same but the start and first two or three miles are different. Also, it'll finish at the West Gate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

2 stars (poor)
    I always have to laugh at the ads for these races - "Flat course, run a PB" etc etc , then you find out that there is a 2 mile drag early in the race.
    Why bother saying anything about the course if you're not going to be honest?:confused:
    Saying that I intend doing this for DCM10 prep.

2 stars (poor)
    http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee101/iceage10/screen.jpg

Sorry guys runningmap.com playing silly beggers. Hope this helps.

Mary St. Old Bridge. right onto Raheen Rd. Gashouse Bridge.left at round about round onto the quay by Channons. head back over the old bridge.a right out onto roundabout, turn right, back in the Presentation bridge, left at lights, out to Cahir Roundabout passing kevin O' Leary and Poppyfields. Continue on gradual climb(!!) out Cahir Rd to Barnne Lodge, left heading down to knocklofty, road falls away here, (steady decent), under railway bridge, right and then next left (small climb) brings you down and onto the Knocklofty junction and bridge, over bridge and around and on into the wood Road. (long straight) pass the Dungarvan turn off on your right, continue straight on toward the roundabout, left at roundabout pass over the Presentation bridge again, right turn this time at lights, (home straight now) down through Irishtown and race finishes either under or just beyond the Westgate Arch. :)

The climb is between the 3.5 miler and 5.5 mark, long and steady out of the town heading for Cahir...you'll love it. :)

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Ok, based on iceage's description here's the new route from mapmyrun;

4885090242_e26c306c18.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What kind of numbers do this race?

2 stars (poor)
    Ok, based on iceage's description here's the new route from mapmyrun;

Thanks for that, it doesn't look too bad, famous last words from me no doubt!

Out sick this week from work. Did we get an email that we have to bbring or do we just give our name down there to collect our envelopes.

2 stars (poor)
    Out sick this week from work. Did we get an email that we have to bbring or do we just give our name down there to collect our envelopes.

Email went out last night, sounds like you just have to show up to collect your chip.
    On Sunday 15th August number, T Shirt and chip can be picked up will be in the Vocational School, the Mall, from 7am to 10am.

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What kind of numbers do this race?
    This is the inaugural event so I don't know. Maybe someone from the club can give us an idea?

Update - About 300 odd runners I think are expected...

2 stars (poor)
    Found out today at registration small change( My mistake folks sorry) to the last leg of the route. From the 12 mile mark on the map above that Beef kindly provided, thanks Beef.

You do not take the left at that roundabout, you continue straight through the roundabout back the route swinging left over the Old Bridge, and then left again after crossing the river and up around by Martins Tiles Shop into Irishtown, right at that junction then heading under the Wesgate.

Apologies if my previous post caused any confusion.

2 stars (poor)

if you registered online just turn up at the Mall, into the main hall, and give them your details, Surname etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

someone made a fair mess of this race.clocked in at 14.3 for me on the garmin.i think an extra lap at the start.very disapointed with it.meant all the mile markers were wrong on the course.

psychozeb wrote: »
    someone made a fair mess of this race.clocked in at 14.3 for me on the garmin.i think an extra lap at the start.very disapointed with it.meant all the mile markers were wrong on the course.

Not again....i cannot understand this....total disaster if thats the case.
    Organisers should give a refund.....14.3....1.2m over...how the hell can someone make that much of an error ?

What type of garmin do you have ?
    anyone else confirm this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Organisers should give a refund.....14.3....1.2m over...how the hell can someone make that much of an error ?

forerunner 110 is my watch.make out there was an extra loop at the start that shouldn't have been there.

psychozeb wrote: »
    forerunner 110 is my watch.make out there was an extra loop at the start that shouldn't have been there.

Absolute disgrace,Opus just posted similar on thread in the main forum

2 stars (poor)

Yes indeed my 310XT had the 1/2 distance as a training session and told me I was finished the 21.1Km somewhere between the mile 2 & mile 1 markers. Was chatting to another person with a Garmin at the end & his was showing ~14.3 miles also. Track is here showing me 'finishing' well outside the town.

Btw I just posted about this very thing in the thread about accurately measuring races.

Yep definitely we were sent on an extra loop around the town at the start,got to the 2 mile marker in 24xx:eek: while meaning to be there in 15xx and was going to stop as i wasn't in great shape during the week and thought i might have been unwell but in hindsight it was 3.2m.Kept going but had all interest lost and used it as an LSR for DCM.Very warm and injury struck then in the last 3 miles which didn't improve the mood.
    I pre-registered 4-5 weeks ago and was told at registration my number was collected yesterday by someone else :confused:and after a bit of talk i eventually got a number but i don't think my name will appear on the reults which was not what i wanted to hear either before the race.
    2 of my last 3 races have been measured wrong,probably a genuine mistake by the guy at the crossroads but the event will suffer if it's on next year i fear which is a pity as a lot of work went into it i'm sure and the club etc are always spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

1 star (terrible)
    Very very disappointed with this half marathon today. The course was great for a personal best, which i achieved after dividing back the miles, but it just seems so hollow. Its the one golden rule we expect to be right at all costs, ''GET THE COURSE DISTANCE RIGHT''. I know someone made a right cock-up adding the extra loop rather than leaving us go right after the first loop of the town so no point in been too hard with the organisers as i did enjoy the route. But at the end of the day you train and gear your training and pace for a half marathon not a race somewhere over 14miles and I'd think twice about running this again as very disappointed. I was really putting this down as a long run in my training for DCM, but its really all the people that were running this kind of distance for the first time I feel sorry for. It was hard enough with the weather for them without having the extra distance to do too. Anyway sorry for the rant but the one thing that's not acceptable in racing is getting the distance/route wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement