Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Tax - what do I need?

• 19-04-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what I need to tax my new car (well new to me its a 03). Its my first car so I've no idea what I'm doing. The can't find out what I need on their website since I don't have a PIN.

I just got the log book back from Shannon, what form do I need to fill out? 100A?

Did I need to show my insurance policy, nct and license?

And this is a stupid question :o but can you get someone else go into the tax office for you to tax your car? Because of work hours I can't go into them myself!

:pac: cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You need the RF100a and cert/book from Shannon. On the form you fill in the details from the insurance and NCT so you don't have to show them (at least I haven't had to). I think you can ring them too and do things over the phone, not sure.

Do a search, this has be asked and answered a fair few times.
    Actually, since you're new - search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Beetle Juice

^ thanks biko. I searched alright but couldn't find it exactly.

Does anyone know if you have to go in in person or can someone else do it for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Logon to motortax.ie, your pin no. is the last 6 digits of your VIN no.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Logon to motortax.ie, your pin no. is the last 6 digits of your VIN no.

I thought that was only for a brand new cars? I tried mine anyway and it doesn't work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I was in the same situation last year - I got someone else to go in and pay for me and there was no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've paid in person whenever I bought a new car, never asked for ID. So yeah, someone else should be able to go for you.

Great thaks for your help guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

biko wrote: »
    . I think you can ring them too and do things over the phone, not sure.
    Nope, I called them last Fri to find out, after the 4 minute automatic voice messaging I got through to an operator who advised you can either do it in person or by post for a second hand car.
    I thought that was only for a brand new cars? I tried mine anyway and it doesn't work :rolleyes:
    Correct, you can only tax brand new or imported cars with your reg and last 6 digists of your chassis number. Doesn't make any sense to me but such is the efficiency of making it difficult for motorists to pay tax. Once you've taxed your car I believe you should receive a renewal notice reminder in the post coming up to expiration with a pin number where you'll then be able to renew it online.

I taxed my 01 car for the first time yesterday, was told on the phone on Fri that I'd need the log book and insurance details and to fill out the appropriate form before coming to the counter. There was a section in the form for a road worthiness number which I presume is for the NCT but since I wasn't told I'd need this I didn't bring it. Luckily enough the guy behind the counter didn't ask anything about it and just issued the tax saving me having to take another hour of work another day. Another gripe with the tax system is that even though I paid my tax yesterday it's effective from 1st April and therefore I'm paying for nearly 3 weeks of tax when I haven't been using the car. Ideally I should wait until 1st May to tax it but need the car this weekend.

Advertisement