Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco multipacks

• 19-04-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is a rip off or just a brainless piece of stupidity by our beloved Tescos?

While shopping this evening i ventured down to the soft drinks section. I see a sign saying Sprite Zero 2 x 2ltrs for €3.
    Pick up a PACK of 2 x 2ltr Sprite Zero and am charged €3.92?

Over I go to customer care, and am told that the offer is for 2x single 2ltr bottles......

I am now FULLY aware that the offer only applied to the two single bottles, but as there was none of the shelf and the sign said 2x2ltrs (nothing to do with multipack) was displayed I assumed the offer was for these 2.

So the guy in the shop told me as there was no single bottles I'd have to buy them at 92c more expensive.

I refused!

The plastic bag levy is enough without givin Tesco 92c for a bleeding wee bit of plastic!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

while i can see your point of view the offer was on single bottles which tesco would have been offered from coca cola at a reduced price where as the twin pack to them would have been charged as normal so by giving you the twin pack at the offer price they would be losing out,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I don't see what you have to complain about tbh. There two completely seperate products. If there out of stock then tough. Why should tesco mess up their stock and sales records and give you 92c? Its not a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Gucky wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a rip off or just a brainless piece of stupidity by our beloved Tescos?

While shopping this evening i ventured down to the soft drinks section. I see a sign saying Sprite Zero 2 x 2ltrs for €3.
    Pick up a PACK of 2 x 2ltr Sprite Zero and am charged €3.92?

Over I go to customer care, and am told that the offer is for 2x single 2ltr bottles......

I am now FULLY aware that the offer only applied to the two single bottles, but as there was none of the shelf and the sign said 2x2ltrs (nothing to do with multipack) was displayed I assumed the offer was for these 2.

So the guy in the shop told me as there was no single bottles I'd have to buy them at 92c more expensive.

I refused!

The plastic bag levy is enough without givin Tesco 92c for a bleeding wee bit of plastic!

This shows you know dont have a clue what you are talking about. A shop has an offer on single bottles (which you admit you were aware of) and because they have sold out of them, you ASSUME you can have a different pack for the same price.

THEN you give out about the plastic bag tax. What does a tax by the irish government have to do with Tesco selling sprite?

Er Hello?

And I have no connection with Tesco. Except driving past one every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Guys are you lot working for Tesco or something, this is a case of the old multi pack beside the offer trick.

put a the twin packs beside the single bottles, people pick up the twin pack thinking there part of the offer and by the time your out of the shop you can't be arsed to start a fight over 98c you have been over charged.

(I Dont care what they payed for the multi packs, sprit is sprit they should be fair and lower both to 3.49 insted of miss leading everyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

This shows you know dont have a clue what you are talking about. A shop has an offer on single bottles (which you admit you were aware of) and because they have sold out of them, you ASSUME you can have a different pack for the same price.

THEN you give out about the plastic bag tax. What does a tax by the irish government have to do with Tesco selling sprite?

Er Hello?

And I have no connection with Tesco. Except driving past one every day.

Off to specsavers with you.......

Read the part where it says NO MENTION OF SINGLE BOTTLES OR MULTIPACKS,
    the offer simply says 2 x 2ltrs of sprite zero €2.99

perhaps you should take the time to properly read a post before you jump in?

Also, ref to the bag levy, I am merely referring to The price for 2 bottles in a multipack were 92c more expensive, ie it's 92c for the plastic they're wrapped in!

Also, it's not so long ago you jumped to another shops defence because they were splitting multipacks and selling of the bottles at the same price!

Make up your mind ffs!

• Advertisement

gobo99 wrote: »
    I don't see what you have to complain about tbh. There two completely seperate products. If there out of stock then tough. Why should tesco mess up their stock and sales records and give you 92c? Its not a charity.

See above post.....

My issue is with the misleading sign: sprite zero 2 x 2ltrs for 2.99
    no mention of multipack/single bottles.

Also, how do you come up with it being two different products?
    Sprite zero is sprite zero.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

See above post.....

My issue is with the misleading sign: sprite zero 2 x 2ltrs for 2.99
    no mention of multipack/single bottles.

Also, how do you come up with it being two different products?
    Sprite zero is sprite zero.......

Ive seen how it works theres to difference codes for them, to say you want x amount of x(single) and x ammount of y(twin pack), there the same produce just some different packages so they can say there different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Also, ref to the bag levy, I am merely referring to The price for 2 bottles in a multipack were 92c more expensive, ie it's 92c for the plastic they're wrapped in!

HAHAHAHAHa

Now you are suggesting that tesco are charging a bag levy for the plastic the twin pack is wrapped in.:eek:

You are a gas character.

thanks for cheering me up.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

should have just tore the multipack thingy off and chanced your arm, especially if it was busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

i agree with Gucky on this one. If as he said there was no mention of the purchase having to be on single bottles then Tesco are at fault/error here.

I'm not suggesting anything untoward here, but having worked in Management in grocery, many moons ago, there are some 'tricks' that we used to pull.

This however was probably nothing more than a simple labelling error. Pricing/labelling has to be clear and easily understood. There are laws/fines in place to ensure compliance

• Advertisement

HAHAHAHAHa

Now you are suggesting that tesco are charging a bag levy for the plastic the twin pack is wrapped in.:eek:

You are a gas character.

thanks for cheering me up.:rolleyes:

You are a complete and utter righteous idiot!
    Admit it when your wrong, or don't contribute at all!

I'm not suggesting that tesco are charging me for the plastic, in stating that it's 92c more for the multipack and the only difference is the plastic the two bottles are wrapped in!

Off you go with your price gun and lable some tights or bubblegum you fool.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

It would have said Sprite Zero Multipack if it was the multipack that was on offer. A customer probably left the multipack there after realising the 2 x 2ltr bottles were on offer.

They never mention single bottle in any POS AFAIK.
    Flaregon wrote:
    Guys are you lot working for Tesco or something, this is a case of the old multi pack beside the offer trick.

That's just ridiculous, if the person catches them out they keep the product AND have to refund the money. If they got caught doing this by the authorities they'd have a hefty fine too. No manager would run that risk for 92cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Off you go with your price gun and lable some tights or bubblegum you fool.......

You'd sound ever so slightly less ignorant if you could spell.

Kepti wrote: »
    You'd sound ever so slightly less ignorant if you could spell.

Ooh......

Let's see, I mixed up the l and the e.

Im ever so sorry teacher.

Detention for me, so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ooh......

Let's see, I mixed up the l an the e.

In ever so sorry teacher.

Detention for me, so.

Tesco must have known that they could wind you up easily, so did it on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Ooh......

Let's see, I mixed up the l an the e.

In ever so sorry teacher.

Detention for me, so.

These little details are important when you're looking down on people's jobs and calling them fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Kepti wrote: »
    These little details are important when you're looking down on people's jobs and calling them fools.

is this AH or Rip Off Ireland?

Any chance of staying on topic?

the OP posted with a genuine concern. why is he getting ridiculed for doing so? Whats the point of this forum if he/she isnt allowed to state their opinion.

i dont think its a rip-off per se, but is a mistake/mislabelling by the retailer in question.

is this AH or Rip Off Ireland?

Any chance of staying on topic?

the OP posted with a genuine concern. why is he getting ridiculed for doing so? Whats the point of this forum if he/she isnt allowed to state their opinion.

i dont think its a rip-off per se, but is a mistake/mislabelling by the retailer in question.

At last!

Someone with sense......

I'll run through it again folks.

1: I see sign in tesco 2 x 2ltr sprite zero 2.99

2: I bring multipack (2x 2 ltrs sprite zero) to check out.

3: then and ONLY then am I told it's not applicable to multipacks, as they were charging me 3.92 for the multipack I refused to buy.

How many folk besides me, didn't check their til receipts or argue with customer care.

To suggest tesco wouldn't risk it for 92c isn't how it is, it could be 92c x thousands for all we know!

Rip. Off. Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    It would have said Sprite Zero Multipack if it was the multipack that was on offer. A customer probably left the multipack there after realising the 2 x 2ltr bottles were on offer.

Not true. Have a look at the Tesco website. It has all soft drink multipacks labelled as 2x2l, not multipacks. They could have moved the drinks that were on offer to the end of the aisle, and highlighted the offer, instead of leaving it beside the multipacks which created the ambiguity.

Not true. Have a look at the Tesco website. It has all soft drink multipacks labelled as 2x2l, not multipacks. They could have moved the drinks that were on offer to the end of the aisle, and highlighted the offer, instead of leaving it beside the multipacks which created the ambiguity.

I'm at a loss as to why I got jumped on over this post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Gucky - please don't insult other posters

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Gucky - please don't insult other posters

dudara

Sorry mate,

just got frustrated that's all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Gucky any chance you can get a photo of the sign uploaded? i know where you are coming from but i find it hard that they would put a "x" in the wording if it were single bottles been advertised?

if it were a genunie mistake by the signage dept then so be it I hope it was alerted to someone in tesco with a brain who would do something about it.

if you were in my shop hopefully the sign would have never made it onto the shop floor however I would honour it if it did and then remove it so I would only lose out on your sale however thats the joy of dealing with a giant like tesco it take too long for the message to get up to the brain and back down again to action it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Assuming that its as gucky described i can well understand why he was peeved. if there were no single bottles to which the offer pertained too and the multipacks were close by then as gerry suggested above they should have given you the refund as a matter of good customer service.

if it happened in my shop i too would have taken the hit on the multipack and removed the sign so as to avoid ant ambiguity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No it is stupid to always presume mulitpacks will be cheaper which many people do (though this is not the case here). I have seen these signs before all the time and it is always clear to me if it is the mulitpack or 2x2L on offer.
    If I saw a offer saying 5x bounties were €2 I would also be fully aware the offer only applied to these single bars, I would not go pick up a 5 pack of bounties and expect it to be the same offer. If there were no single bars on the shelf I would presume they sold out due to the offer, the very fact mulitpacks were left would lead me to cop on they are no on offer -as if both were on offer it makes more sense that the handier pack would go first. If in doubt I would check the barcode digits listed on the offer and the packs.

rubadub wrote: »
    No it is stupid to always presume mulitpacks will be cheaper which many people do (though this is not the case here). I have seen these signs before all the time and it is always clear to me if it is the mulitpack or 2x2L on offer.

If I saw a offer saying 5x bounties were €2 I would also be fully aware the offer only applied to these single bars, I would not go pick up a 5 pack of bounties and expect it to be the same offer. If there were no single bars on the shelf I would presume they sold out due to the offer, the very fact mulitpacks were left would lead me to cop on they are no on offer -as if both were on offer it makes more sense that the handier pack would go first. If in doubt I would check the barcode digits listed on the offer and the packs.

Please go to tesco.ie
    look at fizzy drinks

Does it say multipack or 2 x 2 litres of Sprite Zero?

As far as Tescos are concerned theres not even a term used when the bottles are packaged together, theyre still referred to as 2 x 2 litres!

Rightly or wrongly displayed signs, the fact remains that a sign displayed in a supermarket shop that says Special offer 2 x 2 ltrs of sprite zero 2.99
    is misleading, and I know its unlikely, but if this were to be presented in a court of law, the judge (imho) would rule in my favour.

The fact that this sign was blatantly hung EXACTLY where the multipacks sat only adds suspicion to my mind.

92c isnt that big a deal, but I thought I would post and make folk be aware of this trick being played out.
    I did post in the Rip off section (where it belongs) but I'll be thinking long and hard before I post again.

Just not worth the grief if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I did post in the Rip off section (where it belongs) but I'll be thinking long and hard before I post again.

Just not worth the grief if you ask me.

I wouldn't take it personally. I would have picked up the multipack too, not knowing any better.

I read Rip Off Ireland to make sure I don't waste money. Whether the ripoffs are honest mistakes or purposeful doesn't really matter to me.

I normally wouldn't bother replying to a thread on Rip Off Ireland, it's enough to read what pitfalls others find. But some people have an interest in making sure consumers become less price sensitive again. You'll see replies to ROI attacking entire threads ("Not another thread about XXX"), redefining "Rip Off" so that it only applies to illegal activity, saying that a non-essential purchase can't be a rip off beacuse you can choose not to buy it, etc.

All these threads have a lot more readers than attacking posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

if this were to be presented in a court of law, the judge (imho) would rule in my favour.

Google Invitation to treat. ;)

Google Invitation to treat. ;)

I'm not with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The judge unfortunately wouldn't rule with you. Have that google.

Advertisement