Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subaru Impreza Vs Lancer

• 19-04-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Thinking off upgrading my car from Nissan Alemera hatchback 02 to either a Subaru or Lancer.
    1. Just wondering which car is the better drive?
    2. Is the Impreza 1.5 car worth a look as it is much cheaper but less powerful.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/1.5R-4DR/201010197175625/advert?channel=CARS

Any information by anyone who drives either car will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Both are a bit pointless. well maybe that's a bit harsh.

If you have a shortlist of those 2 cars, I assume the halo effect of the cooking turbo'd versions has filtered down to the base models.

If you're comparing current Impreza with current Lancer, then the Lancer is the better all rounder. the current Impreza only makes sense if it's a Boxer diesel or a proper full-fat tarmac chewing version.

I'd get something like an i30 or Cee'd over the Impreza 1.5 if I wanted something clumsy looking with a slightly questionable if well built interior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Thanks for getting back.
    No real cars in mind as yet but liked the look of both car (not a boy racer though). Saw nothing on the forum about either car which, I know now is because they are not rated much. I will go looking at cars this weekend and will keep the I20 in mind but not a fan of Kia cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Only buy an Impreza if its a Wrx Sti and only buy a Lancer if its an Evolution ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

That Impreza is over priced. You could get a 2008 new shape 1.5 Impreza for that money. Good car, bit thirsty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Unless you need 4wd a 1.5 Imprezza will be a dog. Not particularly powerful, not economical, heavy, cheap interior, questionable looks. It's just the halo effect of the higher up models coming through on these.

Lancer would be more economical as it doesn't have the added weight of 4wd but still isn't a patch on what else you could get, especially for that money.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Unless you need 4wd a 1.5 Imprezza will be a dog. Not particularly powerful, not economical, heavy, cheap interior, questionable looks. It's just the halo effect of the higher up models coming through on these.

Lancer would be more economical as it doesn't have the added weight of 4wd but still isn't a patch on what else you could get, especially for that money.
    107bhp, not really powerful, but quicker than a 1.4 basic 80bhp Golf, even with the 4WD!
    How come everyone who sees "quattro" on the nose of an Audi say it's a savage car, 4WD makes for excellent grip, great buy, yet say about a Subaru "Ah, it's too heavy, no need..." etc.
    Given that I've seen a 2008 1.5 Impreza with AWD and low mileage for €12k approx, how could you say it was a bad buy when 80bhp Golfs are going for 4k more? The Impreza is a well laid out car inside, well built, ultra reliable, good handling and well priced. Just because it's not an STI doesn't make it crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    107bhp, not really powerful, but quicker than a 1.4 basic 80bhp Golf, even with the 4WD!
    How come everyone who sees "quattro" on the nose of an Audi say it's a savage car, 4WD makes for excellent grip, great buy, yet say about a Subaru "Ah, it's too heavy, no need..." etc.
    Given that I've seen a 2008 1.5 Impreza with AWD and low mileage for €12k approx, how could you say it was a bad buy when 80bhp Golfs are going for 4k more? The Impreza is a well laid out car inside, well built, ultra reliable, good handling and well priced. Just because it's not an STI doesn't make it crap.

If its not a VW Audi or Skoda it wont be liked on here. It's just one of them things with this forum

I never said an 08 low mileage one was a bad buy for €12k for a start (the car linked by the OP was an old model 07 for 14k too btw). Plus I never said a word about an 80 brake Golf being a better buy. I simply said that as an everyday cars there are much better options that will do everything a 1.5 Impreza can only better. I can see very little point to dragging a 4wd drivetrain around when 99% of owners will never use it.
    Bazzy wrote: »
    If its not a VW Audi or Skoda it wont be liked on here. It's just one of them things with this forum

Yawn.

Nearly bought a diesel one myself last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I personally think they Subaru and Mitsubishi are lovely cars. And you see far less threads on here about them breaking.

Where as Audi Vw and Skoda always seem to have threads looking for info about getting them fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

As a Subaru owner I wouldn't buy any model below 2.0L and I certainly wouldn't buy any underpowered one kitted out in boy racer spec.

The Mitsubishi Lancer looks nice enough but that is about it. You would be better off looking at a Ford Focus, Mazda 3 or something along those lines, if VW or Skoda's do not appeal to you.

• Advertisement

I never said an 08 low mileage one was a bad buy for €12k for a start (the car linked by the OP was an old model 07 for 14k too btw). Plus I never said a word about an 80 brake Golf being a better buy. I simply said that as an everyday cars there are much better options that will do everything a 1.5 Impreza can only better. I can see very little point to dragging a 4wd drivetrain around when 99% of owners will never use it.
    What can an i30 do that's so much better than what an Impreza can do? MPG is one thing, but try going up a hill in icy weather!
    I'd wager that the 4WD system will come in useful for 99% of the owners. Maybe it'll only be useful 1% of the time, but that's different to 99% of owners never needing it!
    The Impreza has a higher quality feel inside than the i30, don't get me wrong, the i30 is a great car, but so is the Impreza. Dragging around all that 4WD weight? It's not as if you have to tie a rope around your waist and walk with the car!

TomMc wrote: »
    As a Subaru owner I wouldn't buy any model below 2.0L and I certainly wouldn't buy any underpowered one kitted out in boy racer spec.

The Mitsubishi Lancer looks nice enough but that is about it. You would be better off looking at a Ford Focus, Mazda 3 or something along those lines, if VW or Skoda's do not appeal to you.
    I agree with the one in the link, but I was talking about the new shape one that can be had for so little money. All very well you saying "buy a Focus", but not everyone can just reach into their back pocket and pull out €5,000 extra for a car that's really not offering a whole lot more.

What can an i30 do that's so much better than what an Impreza can do? MPG is one thing, but try going up a hill in icy weather!
    I'd wager that the 4WD system will come in useful for 99% of the owners. Maybe it'll only be useful 1% of the time, but that's different to 99% of owners never needing it!
    The Impreza has a higher quality feel inside than the i30, don't get me wrong, the i30 is a great car, but so is the Impreza. Dragging around all that 4WD weight? It's not as if you have to tie a rope around your waist and walk with the car!

Ok, since you picked an i30:
    Smoother, quieter, better spec, cheaper to buy, more fuel efficient, nicer interior design and materials as well as build imo, neither are lookers but the i30 wins there too, lower tax, more space in the back, better warranty. The things that take priority to most motorists. The amount of people that knowingly go out looking to buy a small capacity 4wd saloon is practically zero.

The only plus I can see for the 1.5 Impreza is better traction. But this imo is outweighed by the compromises elsewhere
    I agree with the one in the link, but I was talking about the new shape one that can be had for so little money. All very well you saying "buy a Focus", but not everyone can just reach into their back pocket and pull out €5,000 extra for a car that's really not offering a whole lot more.

Where are you getting your prices from? an 08 Focus petrol for 17k, 5k more than the Impreza? It'll be sitting there a long time

Ok, since you picked an i30:
    Smoother, quieter, better spec, cheaper to buy, more fuel efficient, nicer interior design and materials as well as build imo, neither are lookers but the i30 wins there too, lower tax, more space in the back, better warranty. The things that take priority to most motorists. The amount of people that knowingly go out looking to buy a small capacity 4wd saloon is practically zero.
    Smoother? Didn't find that. Quieter? Both comparable. Better spec? Maybe, didn't list all options. Cheaper to buy? Since we're talking used here then may not be the case. Fuel efficiency, yep, i30 is better. Interior design? Much of a muchness. Better materials? Nope, the Impreza has higher quality materials, which surprised me. Looks, subjective. Lower tax, yep. Space in the back, actually they're about the same. Better warranty? Both 3 years, no? Anyway, both are reliable, but Subaru would top reliability surveys more often than most.
    And your last point, yes, you're right, that's exactly why the Impreza is such good value 2nd hand! Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.
    But on boards.ie the box contains i30, C'eed, Octavia, Superb, Focus and Mondeo it seems, and that's it.
    Maybe instead of Moderators we should have Shepards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the 1.5 was just curious about as I have not seen much of those cars for sale. The 2.0 is one that has me drawn to it. http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/2.0-AWD-/201012197325630/advert?channel=CARS
    Should know better but I just really like the look of the cars and they seem to keep their value. Still in two minds whether to get the normal safe and cheaper to run cars or lovely Imppreza.
    The lancer not as keen on but something different.

But on boards.ie the box contains i30, C'eed, Octavia, Superb, Focus and Mondeo it seems, and that's it.
    Maybe instead of Moderators we should have Shepards.

LOL:D

Shock horror - people have opinions. And mine is the 1.5 is the turd of the range. To be honest any of the ones you mentioned there is a better car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes the 1.5 was just curious about as I have not seen much of those cars for sale. The 2.0 is one that has me drawn to it. http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/2.0-AWD-/201012197325630/advert?channel=CARS
    Should know better but I just really like the look of the cars and they seem to keep their value. Still in two minds whether to get the normal safe and cheaper to run cars or lovely Imppreza.
    The lancer not as keen on but something different.

Subaru's do not keep their values, especially cooking models. OP, going from an Almera to a 2.0L petrol Subaru (even a non-turbo one) will most probably be a shock to the system in fuel bills alone. Theory is all find and well, but sometimes practical experience at the pumps is needed to get the message through. When you see how short EUR20-30's of petrol lasts without going anywhere much, you may not be so keen. Better to find out before you buy a replacement vehicle, than afterwards. Otherwise you may be stuck with something you cannot sell and essential transportation that is bleeding you dry. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

might I just point out that a 1.5 Impreza takes 14 seconds to get to 60mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

colm_mcm wrote: »
    might I just point out that a 1.5 Impreza takes 14 seconds to get to 60mph.

My 2003 1.4 Focus (75bhp) was dog slow but even it was faster than that which is why the 1.5 Impreza is pointless

Advertisement