Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New playground off Rathingle Rd

Options
  • 19-04-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

The playground off the Rathingle Rd. is open at last. Admittedly, it's tiny but we're grateful for it. Vehicle access control into the car park is still being constructed though so there's no car parking at the minute.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that this facility will undoubtedly go down the drain similar to most all the other unsupervised playgrounds in the county, the one in Swords town park (behind the castle) and the one in River Valley most notably from our experience. It's been months now that the one behind the castle had been closed after it's been torched.

The erected signs are clear:

No over 12's
    No drinking
    No ball play
    No horse play
    etc.

The kids however just don't give a toss.

Within minutes tonight the place was strewn with empty bottles, crisp bags, sweet rappers, etc. despite a number of ideally located bins. Some older kids were running up the slide, others banging the swings against the frame, some part of the already damaged equipment was being kicked and thrown about, kids jumping the fence, kids kicking a ball around inside the enclosed area despite 2 full sized pitches right next to the playground.

At times like these, it's definitely not safe for young kids.

I'll notify the council tomorrow, but realistically speaking I know there's not much they can do.

It's just sad to see another community facility go to pot.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

T-Maxx what you need to do is contact Ken Farrell on <snip>, he has been attacking the council regards the issues at St Catherines playground in Rush at the last meeting he went through Tom Hussey (you can watch the meeting on a webcast :)) Whether you like Labour or not KEn is who you need to talk to he is already on record as opposing the councils policys regards them.
    The next meeting is days away.Only yesterday the council took away some damaged stuff from the Rush one . If you see any anti social behaviour rings the cops get it on record cos the council will try and whitewash any problems. Ring the Parks Dept 01-8905000 as well.

At the last meeting a number of councillors were concerned that complaints regards various palyground near residential areas were not reaching the proper people in the council .

Mod Note - Please do not post personal telephone numbers

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Thats a shame. I noticed that open the other day, is it locked up at night time?

I doubt it , the one at rush is not, the council refuse to lock this place up even when Ken Farrell asked them , to stop anto social behavious.

Too many parents all over are just letting kids run riot , its a case of see on evil hear no evil,. Once they are not doing it in front of them it does not bother them.

The one at St Catherines has the same sign as but sure it may as well be invisible no one pays heed , the rubbish is very annoying council come once a week to clean up but just clean near it they forget about all the rubbish that blows further across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Really? Is it a case of nobody in FCC wants to stay late and lock up that playground type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You'd need a serious fence to keep youngsters out - look what they did to the seemingly impenetrable fence around the skate board park in Swords.

• Advertisement

Well according to the council there is no need for it to be done anywhere, whether they wont assign anyone to do it or more of a case of all is well no problem here. They would have you believe that everyone is adhering to there lovely sign.

To be honest its a joke im sure there are many council workers living near the various playgrounds that could open and close without much hassle to the there hours but the council dismiss it straight off.

Council policy is the problem they have the typical irish mentality of ah its alright no problem, lets not admit there is an issue we made a mistake.In theory a playground is great for local kids but when they are unsupervised and older kids take over problems arise, then at night they become an area because of the ground surface for teenagers to congregate and drink and make a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paddy James

Hello

could someone pm me with the problems with the playground. In our estate in mayo theres talk of putting a public playground in the estate

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LauraAK

I know this thread is old, but does anyone know if/when they're going to replace the slide/climbing frame in Rathingle playground?

I've googled and I can find something about it being difficult to get parts delivered from Spain, does anyone know anything more?

I'm so sick of there being nowhere to take my 4 year old and 2 year old. With the playground in River Valley gone I relied heavily on the Rathingle playground. I don't have a car and my four year old finds it too tiring to walk more than a mile to the nearest playground.

I've seen a few references to a group called Swords Needs Playgrounds, but I can't find any more information on them. If anyone has any contact details for them could you pm me because I'd like to get involved if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

They were saying it was something to do with replacement parts only available from a small company in Spain. Lame excuse.

Have a read of this;

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/local-notes/no-funds-to-complete-playground-projects-3157666.html

Advertisement