Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LG 47LE5300 47" Full HD LED TV £199 - Pixmania(!)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

gizmo wrote: »
    Some guy on HUKD just ordered 85 of them. That'll be the final nail in the coffin of something that probably never would have been honored anyway. :(

There's always one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'd used a valid UK address and postcode. Don't think it's the address was the problem though! ;)

Did anyone take a screen capture of the page? It all seemed above board, what with the stated discount, the timer counting down on a 3 day special, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hbxutd

I screen grabbed my order at the delivery stage & attached it to a reply to their cancellation email saying

Dear James,
    “Legally, the order is not valid as the price is deemed vile.”

Legally, the order is valid as your customer service department validated the order & the order was being prepared by your logistics department before you cancelled the order. I placed the order on the basis of a sale price in good faith.
    See pdf of relevant information.

Item 4 of your terms & conditions clearly states

4. Prices
    The prices indicated on the Site are in Pounds Sterling and in Euros and include all taxes but do not include delivery.The chosen possible delivery costs are indicated for the User during the product selection and are invoiced at the end of the order in addition to the price of the products. We reserve the right to modify our prices at any moment but will apply the current rates as indicated to you on the site at the time the order was placed.

I expect my order to be reinstated (as per the attached document) & processed in a timely manner.

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

WebGeek wrote: »
    Gat a email saying Item has been despatched! Surely not. I'll believe it when I see it.

can you post up that email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

hbxutd wrote: »
    I screen grabbed my order at the delivery stage & attached it to a reply to their cancellation email saying

Dear James,
    “Legally, the order is not valid as the price is deemed vile.”

Legally, the order is valid as your customer service department validated the order & the order was being prepared by your logistics department before you cancelled the order. I placed the order on the basis of a sale price in good faith.
    See pdf of relevant information.

Item 4 of your terms & conditions clearly states

4. Prices
    The prices indicated on the Site are in Pounds Sterling and in Euros and include all taxes but do not include delivery.The chosen possible delivery costs are indicated for the User during the product selection and are invoiced at the end of the order in addition to the price of the products. We reserve the right to modify our prices at any moment but will apply the current rates as indicated to you on the site at the time the order was placed.

I expect my order to be reinstated (as per the attached document) & processed in a timely manner.

Regards,

Fairplay pushing back, i really hope you get your telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

Fairplay pushing back, i really hope you get your telly!
    He won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Got my email this afternoon confirming the cancellation of my order. Don't understand people who order more than 1 of this mis-priced products. Any slim chance you have of your order slipping through the system is going to be destroyed simply because of greed. Idiots.

Slim chance my hole. There was no way in hell a single one of those TVs was ever going to be shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah mine was cancelled as well. I understand that the price is just an invitation to treat, but my order was processed so the law gets a bit iffy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Joe Duffy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

here is a pic of the "special limited time offer" where limited means 0 and time means never

God i hate pixmania/currys/dixon/pcworld ....

I think we should bring a class case against these chancers.

dnme wrote: »
    Joe Duffy?
    And say what? That you knew a company made a mistake and you wanted to capitalise on it, and are now very, very angry that you couldn't capitalise on their mistake?

Or are you going to play very, very dumb and claim that you thought it was a REAL SUPER DUPER GENUINE OFFER and now you're very, very sad?

It's hilarious, people will scream the house down about fair play and consumer rights when it suits them, but you have to realise it's a 2 way street. Companies have rights to protect them too. It was a mistake. They left out a digit. Those evil, digit losing, bastard corporations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

dnme wrote: »
    I suspect that they may be (I'm close to using the word 'scam') using agressive marketing techniques here.

I reckon they are pricing like this in order to rank highly on bargain and comparison engines. There might be some legal clause that says they have to honour the deal but they might get away with just horouring 1 item.

Apart from this, unless its a mistake/misprint, it makes no sense whatsoever

sigh

Ok, so you're gonna go on Joe Duffy and say that you suspected them of using aggressive marketing techniques but placed an order anyway even though you knew what it was?

Have you nothing better to do with your time?

I reckon he was being sarcastic pal..

• Advertisement

As much as I'd like to think so, I believe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

VisionaryP wrote: »
    Slim chance my hole. There was no way in hell a single one of those TVs was ever going to be shipped.

Well I can only speak from personal experience. I've witnessed first hand cases where XBox Elites sold for £2.99 so misprices can slip through the net. It's only when suspicion is raised that people are able to correct them.

Personally I dont know why people publicise these misprices in the first place. May sound selfish but no way I would.

i'm not sure how this is a mis-price. i mean the correct price is on the page and it is marked as reduced and as a special limited offer.

my point is i guess what was the 199 meant to be? i understand if 1399 was entered as 199, but the actual price on site was 1369.

It's hilarious, people will scream the house down about fair play and consumer rights when it suits them, but you have to realise it's a 2 way street. Companies have rights to protect them too. It was a mistake. They left out a digit. Those evil, digit losing, bastard corporations!

We're not talking about a company that makes the odd genuine mistake, we're talking about a company that takes full advantage of online sales (adding extra hidden charges without asking, having deceptively cheap items with ridiculous delivery charges, etc), but refuses to abide by any of the rules protecting customers, and even claims falsely that they forced to cancel orders because of the law.

You're right though, it should be a two way street with companies, they'll send debt collectors and solicitors after you if you try to break a contract, customers should be entitled to the same protection.

Try going back to any shop and claim that you overpaid for an item, as "obviously, you didn't mean to pay that much for it" and see if they'll give you your money back.

pixmania have changed thier terms and conditions:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/pkellis22/PricesnewTandC.jpg

(notice how it does not say if a price is clearly too high only if it is too low (too low by whose standards :) ))

the old one (that the tv would have been purchased under):

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/pkellis22/PricesoldTandC.jpg

If that is not an admission of guilt (that their lies of law this, forced that) i don't know what is.

• Advertisement

davoxx wrote: »

my point is i guess what was the 199 meant to be? i understand if 1399 was entered as 199, but the actual price on site was 1369.

My guess is €1199.

When did they change their t&c's?

They made a blatent misprice on a bluray player a while back, selling for €1 or something.
    Anyways, after swapping 3 or 4 emails, I got the usual spiel about the price being vile, and I even got the following from their customer care...

"Dear Mr. Soarer,

Thank you for your email.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Please find below the extract from the "Traité Elémentaire de Droit Civil":

PRIX vil. Vile price. The price is the sum of money which the buyer obligates himself to give in exchange for the thing. The price necessarily must consist of money; the law does not say that, judging it perhaps unless to explain itself on the point, for this clearly is the only thing which distinguishes the sale from the exchange. The price can be either a sum payable in one or several terms or an annuity, and such annuity can perpetual or for life. One says that the price is vile when it is so inferior to the real value of the thing that the vendor suffers a loss out of proportion to the risks in the ordinary course of affairs. The difference between the price and the value of the thing constitutes what s called lesion. In principle, the vileness of the price does not affect the validity of the sale. It is only where an immovable is sold that the law takes the lesion into consideration by granting an action rescission to the vendor when the lesion exceeds seven-twelfths of the true value (Traité Elémentaire de Droit Civil).

If you should have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I highlighted this part In principle, the vileness of the price does not affect the validity of the sale., and told them that the above legislation is actually proving my point that the sale is valid, and as such, I should be entitled to the bluray player as ordered.

Funnily enough, I got no reply after that, and they've since changed their t&c's.
    I should probably keep pushing it, but I can't be bothered.:rolleyes:

Soarer wrote: »

I highlighted this part In principle, the vileness of the price does not affect the validity of the sale., and told them that the above legislation is actually proving my point that the sale is valid, and as such, I should be entitled to the bluray player as ordered.

And you conveniently ignored the next part. "It is only where an immovable is sold that the law takes the lesion into consideration by granting an action rescission to the vendor when the lesion exceeds seven-twelfths of the true value (Traité Elémentaire de Droit Civil)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

WooHoo! Just got a £25 coupon from pixmania (if I spend over £150). Not too shabby :)

Same, I'm gonna try and shake 'em down for more. If you ask me it's just an admission of guilt. They couldn't just give us the voucher, had to stick in a minimum purchase too didn't they :pac:

And you conveniently ignored the next part. "It is only where an immovable is sold that the law takes the lesion into consideration by granting an action rescission to the vendor when the lesion exceeds seven-twelfths of the true value (Traité Elémentaire de Droit Civil)."

It's not that I ignored it...I didn't understand it?! :o Found it interesting that since I pointed it out to their customer care, I haven't received a reply, and they've change their t&c's to cover themselves.
    Maybe you can explain it?

Oh yeah, also got the voucher. Twas worth putting in the order I guess.

Advertisement