Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting a fishtank

Options
  • 19-04-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

if i was to buy something like this do you think i would get it home in a car?
    will the tank come off the stand or would it be one piece?

Full?id=2869942

tempted to buy a good size tank but not sure how ill get it home

anything i need to be made aware of?

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

tank sits atop the stand - not attached.
    Bring a big quilt to wrap the tank in.
    ...and a big boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

cheers. i was thinking that maybe when its first set up it might have to be glued or something like that. if it comes off easily i reckon it should be ok

cheers :pac:

nah it just sit on top. Once it's filled with water, it's not going any where with the weight.

One word of advice - when placing it (before filling it) do yourself a favour and leave enough room between the side of the tank and the wall to fit your arm down. Once it's filled you won't be moving it, and it'll help when cleaning it if you can fit your arm down the back/side!

makes sense alright.

cheers

no bother - if you've any questions let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Be very careful when lifting the tank and be sure it is completely empty because if you strain the silicone joints on the glass it can cause leaks down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Also make sure it is completely level wherever you place it. Very important.

Also I forgot to mention. Try put a piece of foam down between the glass and the stand. If anything gets in there, even a grain of sand between the two without the foam it causes serious tension on the glass when it's filled with water.

best thing for that is the polystrine insulation (about 3mm sheet) - but I reckon it's a bit excessive - i didn't bother & I've a 220lt tank. Just give the tabletop a good wipe & the bottom of the tank

but I reckon it's a bit excessive

But it's only a little piece of foam. hardly excessive when you consider the consequences of tank sitting on a tiny piece of debris. It might not be necessary if the tank has a border at the bottom that raises the tank a little to prevent that from happening.

• Advertisement

better safe than sorry. ill grab a roll of that stuff and put a bit down. might even have some lying around

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

The last thing you want to do is stick polystyrene between the tank and cabinet. Juwel discourage this as it is unnecessary and it can interfere with the levels. The tanks are very precisely made these days, Juwel tanks are made in Germany, the first time a human hand touches it is at the Quality Control stage. They are well-designed and the bracing around the base of the tank is all that is necessary to distribute the load evenly. By all means wipe the cabinet-top and tank-bottom before filling... but what is going to get in between the two components when the tank has 120 kg or so of water in it?!

Good luck with getting your tank!

Putting polystyrene under a tank was common back in the day for Clearseal tanks and such that sat flat on a surface. All modern Juwel tanks (and most others) have a brace around the bottom, so the glass is a few millimetres off the top of the cabinet/ surface anyway.

Advertisement