Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer won't boot, help badly needed.

• 19-04-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

Okay so here's what happened. Yesterday (Sunday) I was on the computer and it was working fine. No problems whatsoever. I shut it down and left and when I came back a few hours later it simply refused to start up. I got to the mainboard manufacturer screen (in this case Gigabyte) but it would just stay like that forever. Also, the lights on the keyboard and mouse weren't turning on for whatever reason.

So today I decided to crack it open and see if I could find the problem. I noticed the computer was really, really dusty so I decided to give it a bit of spring cleaning and see how that went. I very carefully took out the components and hoovered what I could gently with the fuzzy end on it and I also got rid of the old cooling gel from the CPU and put on a fresh coat. So I put it all back together and at first it wouldn't turn on. I got a buit panicky and start unplugging and replugging various internal wires. Then I tried it again and it worked except it turned off after a few seconds without even showing the Gigabyte startup screen.

Now every time I replug it in and give it a go, it sort of starts up by lighting up and spinning the fans a little, only to quickly shut down again. Also, after a few seconds of being shut down, it turns on and shuts down before anything really happens over and over.

I built this PC myself about a year and a half ago and never experienced anything like this. I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me a hand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Have you tried booting with the minimal amount of components, ie processor and one stick of RAM, just enough anyways to get you past POST? (maybe GPU as well if you don't have on-board)

Perhaps also try resetting the BIOS if you haven't done so already.

If you do manage to get into the BIOS settings perhaps change all the settings back to factory default (although make sure your RAM is getting enough voltage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Have you tried booting with the minimal amount of components, ie processor and one stick of RAM, just enough anyways to get you past POST? (maybe GPU as well if you don't have on-board)

Perhaps also try resetting the BIOS if you haven't done so already.

If you do manage to get into the BIOS settings perhaps change all the settings back to factory default (although make sure your RAM is getting enough voltage).

Yeah I went and unplugged more and more stuff (eventually down to nothing but the mainboard) and the exact same thing happened again. It lasts about 8 seconds and then goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I used to have issues like this with my Gigabyte motherboard but a quick BIOS reset sorted it out.

Oh, and fiddling with the PCI-e frequency posssibly....

For some reason it would occasionally loop getting as far as the manufacturers screen and then either freeze up or reset (similar to you initial problem) but changing the PCI-e frequency to 97 (I think, I'll check to be sure) sorted it out.

Edit: Hmmmm, the PCI-e clock frequency is set to auto but I'm failry certain I had to set it to either 95 or 97 MHz when using my old X1950. I must have set it back to auto when I upgraded, you can probably ignore this rambling then C14N since it didn't really seem to go anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Check have you got all the power cables to the fans and hardrives,dvdrom and cpu fan ,video card ,connected to the right connectors.
    Disconnect the hardrives,dvdrom drive,see does it boot up.
    A wrongly connected ide cable to a hardrive can stop a pc from booting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Done this one.
    The clue is, it was working fine then it suddenly quit.
    My old Win95 died that way.

Sometimes you get a bang and a flash or a funny smell
    The dust in the power supply arcs over and destroys parts of it.
    Change the power supply and give evrything a good blow out.
    For the sake of 20 quid its worth trying to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Well I fixed it, somehow. I still don't really know what the problem was but I basically plugged out everything but the two motherboard power leads and the power switch at the front of the PC and it worked fine. I started to just add stuff from there and now it's working fine again:D Thanks for all the help and suggestions though.

Advertisement