Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberal Arts

Options
  • 19-04-2010 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

What subjects do you study in Liberal Arts ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pretty much whatever you want under the "Arts" banner. There are only two core Liberal Arts modules per year, and then the usual choice of Arts streams. Basically, a degree for someone who can afford to be "educated" without having to worry about being employable afterwards.* Check UCD's website for the module details.

* I'm kidding. I hope. In the USA, at least, "liberal arts graduate" is a long-running synonym for "low employment prospects", but some folks disagree.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

You would actually have to be crazy to do a liberal arts course in the current jobs market. The fact they are government funded is insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

As someone who did an arts degree (not liberal arts) I will say don't do it. It's hard enough getting anything half way decent with an arts degree, let alone a liberal arts one. To put it simply, don't do it. I know one girl that did it during the pre-recession times, she worked as a stage hand, even when there was money in the country it was still hard to get a job with this degree. She just about managed to get on one of those Aldi manager training courses about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

arts is a great degree that allows you to be whatever you wanna do :) especially it's a teacher......

but if you want a job, go do a degree that gives you a title other than a scholar at the end

If you want to spend 3 years making a name for yourself and get a job off all your experience and extra-curricular activities do Arts

Advertisement