Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram Question

Options
  • 19-04-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Hey quick question.

I've got two 1GB PC2-6400 DDR2 sticks of ram at the moment. If I was to get these would I be able to use all of the ram and top out at 6GB? They're essentially the same as what I have except they're twice the size.

Just enquiring because I'm going to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 and I want to get the most out of it, I hear you need at least 4GB for 64 bit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

should be ok, providing you motherboard has four ram slots! Whle you don't need 4GB ram to run a 64 bit os it won't do any harm either, and 6 is even better!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

and as long as the motherboard supports that amount of ram too, you should be ok with it. although i never recommend mixing ram modules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

docmol wrote: »
    should be ok, providing you motherboard has four ram slots! Whle you don't need 4GB ram to run a 64 bit os it won't do any harm either, and 6 is even better!
    and as long as the motherboard supports that amount of ram too, you should be ok with it. although i never recommend mixing ram modules

Yeah, there's four slots and it supports up to 8GB. I'm wary of mixing modules myself but I don't remember why! I'm somewhat out of touch with hardware these days :o

Thanks for the replies by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Could have an issue with voltages. That OCZ kit requires 2.2V to run at the default timings, and your other kit is probably 1.8V

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yup. And I don't know what mobo you have but most LGA775 chipsets (esp. P35) don't like running four modules or two overvolted OCZ modules, so the proposed mix could be failtastic :(

• Advertisement

Yeah thought there'd eb some sort of issue anyway, motherboard is an Asus P5N-D. Not to worry, not going to invest now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

It doesn't stop you from getting a non-overvolted pair of modules...

Solitaire wrote: »
    It doesn't stop you from getting a non-overvolted pair of modules...

Yeah but I was just thinking, I could spend €100 or so on 4GB or wait and upgrade to a Core i7 and some nice shiny DDR3.

Thanks for the reply though :)

Advertisement