Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment complexes

Options
  • 19-04-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for somewhere to rent at the moment. I'd prefer a place to myself, one bedroom atp or "studio".

Everything on daft.ie and the advertiser seems to houses in housing estates hacked into 3 or 4 separate living areas. Thin walls and not very high quality for the asking price.

Are there any apartment complexes with nice flats, but not student accommodation which advertise elsewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

A one bedroom apt in an apt. building or complex would be quite expensive. It would usually be aimed at a couple. If you are on your own, your best bet would be some type of 'Granny Flat'. Find a nice area and maybe check it out. You would have your own separate entrance but it would usually be attached to a main house. Detached one beds/studios would be very uncommon here and probably extremely expensive. A lot of the houses around Knocknacarra and the newer estates are not selling and people seem to be renting them out now, so you might get a good deal on a 3 bed, and maybe share it wilth one other person for not a lot more than a one bed. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I see you're in Carlow ...

Forget Daft, look in the local newspaper: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway

The on-line classifieds are good.

You may pick up a one-bed apartment in the city: lots of commercial buildings have apartments on top (of all sorts of sizes), and there are some nice complexes around too if you're willing to pay. Rents have held up in the city, but it can be worth it in terms of closeness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm actually looking for a one bed here at the moment myself. Unfortunately it's slim pickin in Galway for one beds. There are alot of like you said converted houses...mainly around Riverside. I'm leaning towards Knocknacarra, it could be a nightmare traffic wise for work though.

Where are you working maybe I saw somewhere that might suit you better?

There's a couple in Daft that would suit closer to the Uni or closer to Tuam Road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

JustMary wrote: »
    I see you're in Carlow ...

I'm already up here in Galway. I got a really short term lease in the first place I found because I had no time to look elsewhere. Lease is up at the end of the month and I don't want to stay there.

Working in Ballybrit industrial estate. Have a car so would need parking.

Wouldn't mind living across the river, seems to be newer houses over there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I'm already up here in Galway. I got a really short term lease in the first place I found because I had no time to look elsewhere. Lease is up at the end of the month and I don't want to stay there.

Working in Ballybrit industrial estate. Have a car so would need parking.

Wouldn't mind living across the river, seems to be newer houses over there anyway.

Am in the same situation. Working in Ballybrit and lease is up at the end of the month. It's tough to find a one bed but I'm determined after 7 years of sharing.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Am in the same situation. Working in Ballybrit and lease is up at the end of the month. It's tough to find a one bed but I'm determined after 7 years of sharing.

1 year 8 months of sharing was enough for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're happy to live in the suburbs, look at 2-beds and negotiate: you may find the price is not that much more, and it gives you flexibility if visitors arrive etc.

Found a place thank Jebus.

I hate looking for apartments, and within walking distance of work so I can leave the car and get out walking. Might loose this extra weight I seem to be accumulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Found a place thank Jebus.

I hate looking for apartments, and within walking distance of work so I can leave the car and get out walking. Might loose this extra weight I seem to be accumulating.

Nice one, happy for ya......
    Was trying to ring my sister who is moving into a new house she has bought next Monday. She has AFAIK a granny flat on the side which she is going to rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I'm looking for somewhere to rent at the moment. I'd prefer a place to myself, one bedroom atp or "studio".

Everything on daft.ie and the advertiser seems to houses in housing estates hacked into 3 or 4 separate living areas. Thin walls and not very high quality for the asking price.

Are there any apartment complexes with nice flats, but not student accommodation which advertise elsewhere?

if buying an apartment check out who the management company is. you need some to maintain the building, take care of rubbish etc. in some places there is either none or one that doesn't do very much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement