Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rorys anglings shop temple bar

Options
  • 20-04-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi forum it seems that the thread which was negative yet informative about a long haired member of staff who was rude and unhelpful.

I am not the boss but i think its in everyones interest to have positive and negative info available i have no hidden agenda againest Rorys.

My father has fished with him many times in the past Rory that is but i will not us his premises because of the actions of this member of staff and tender hoop has also said the same.
    So why was this post pulled off?

Forums should be used for negative and positive advise good service gets a thumbs up:)
    bad rude service bad value should get the thumbs down:mad:
    simple

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Hi forum it seems that the thread which was negative yet informative about a long haired member of staff who was rude and unhelpful.

I am not the boss but i think its in everyones interest to have positive and negative info available i have no hidden agenda againest Rorys.

My father has fished with him many times in the past Rory that is but i will not us his premises because of the actions of this member of staff and tender hoop has also said the same.

Forums should be used for negative and positive advise good service gets a thumbs up:)
    simple

I couldn't agree more, but when you start actually naming someone & publicly calling them a "gobs****" & "manners of a pig" then Boards.ie tends to get a solicitors letter in the post.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

sickpuppy wrote: »

simple

Yes I was quite surprised to see that my thread had been pulled. I understood that someone mentioned his name.

But the fact that the long haired dude is very rude and drives away business from rory's fishing tackle shop seems to have hit a note with some people.

To be honest, I thought that for some reason he just didn't like me by the incredibly rude fashion he dealt with my custom and was worried why someone would dislike me so much when I had been polite and courteous the whole time.

I guess I was just looking for reassurance that this guy was rude to everyone and not just me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Andip wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, but when you start actually naming someone & publicly calling them a "gobs****" & "manners of a pig" then Boards.ie tends to get a solicitors letter in the post.............

ok i understand that and you are right, but sadly the original post and subsequent replies were 100% accurate, i would love to say the opposite but that would not be truthful.
    Its an issue for discussion all the same, and the thread should not have been pulled, could it not have been edited???

ok i understand that and you are right, but sadly the original post and subsequent replies were 100% accurate, i would love to say the opposite but that would not be truthful.
    Its an issue for discussion all the same, and the thread should not have been pulled, could it not have been edited???

First thing we do on any thread that could lead to action against boards is to pull it & refer it - better safe than sorry.

As it happens, my decision was upheld & it was very difficult to edit it as the thread was so specific.

Sorry to upset anyone, but I'd rather safeguard the angling formum

ok fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

Have called into Rory's many times and found the man behind the counter very helpful, he is a quite, a bit shy it seems but was always very nice and accomodating, was actually told by a friend to deal with him when I went it, look forward to calling into him with my business again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I've been going in to Rory's on and off for about 30 years and enjoy the banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I've been in Rory's once and didn't...

i think the general consensus is that the customer service attitude of someone needs to improve.......................;)

Could be worse, at least they seem to know their stuff in there.........

I went into Murray's in Cork (similar set up to Rory's) looking for a bag of uncooked hempseed for Roach fishing, only to be told that if I didn't leave immediately they'd call the Guards ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I think it's the design and layout of Irish shops in general that's the issue. Corrib angling in Galway is the only one I know of where you can actually walk in and browse for stuff yourself, most other times you have to ask the staff and thats where problems arise if you don't have the most helpful of guys behind the counter.
    My one experience of Rory's is where I went in looking for course fishing rod and was thrown a catalogue from the manufacturer without prices and told to see if I can find it myself. As a comparison I did the same in Duffy's in Galway and was sent out with a couple of rods to try in the nearby canal for a couple of hours to see what I thought of them, to me thats real service and is what brings you back to the same shops again and again.

Andip wrote: »
    Could be worse, at least they seem to know their stuff in there.........

Exactly.

Let's look at what is going on in tackle shops for a moment. I exclude the shops that sell tackle but can't catch in this post. I also exclude all online shops for what is to follow.

Broadly speaking, 2 types of customer come into a fishing tackle shop.
    There are some wanting an item of gear, buy it, and leave.
    Also there are those who want information. They are in the majority and tend to hang about for a while.

The information gatherers may be either 1 customers of long standing, or 2 people who buy some stuff elsewhere and more in the shop, or 3 they may be people who buy virtually all their stuff elsewhere, but turn up in the shop for a small item like fresh bait and then want to be told where is "ON" and how to catch a bundle of fish more then they can currently manage given their ability.

Now the staff are very aware of this, and having earned their skill and knowledge the hard way they treat their chatty customers usually in direct accordance with the amount of business the customer gives them back. In other words the staff place a value on the knowledge and help they give, even if the customer regards that information as "free", it's not.
    So the sale stays the same but the accompanying banter can be educational, tutorial, informative, revealing, guarded, sarcastic, misleading, or humourous. You might get a cup of tea, or an invitation to the pub sometimes. Everyone gets a different deal according to themselves and how they treat those they deal with.

Some people don't "get" that that is the way the world works, especialy with regard to skills and the voluntary imparting of skills to others. Some mistakes get made, sure but it usually evens out that way.

The cost difference in gear between online and bricks and mortar shops might seem high to some, but the knowledge that can be passed on with it is of very high value indeed. Rory himself, for example on a given day will catch similar numbers of salmon as all the other people out nearby added together, and consistently will catch one to three on days when all the others have a blank. The staff tend to be capable too IMO.

Now I'm obviously not in a position to say anything with regard to the specific posts above bashing a specific shop staff member on "attitude". Specifics are only available to those who were there.
    So I just make my point that in every field different folks get different treatment from experts who can choose to help or choose not to help, to either show "attitude" or to "bring the learner on".
    Online selling is for those who value such help at zero and cost as 100% dealbreaker, maybe those customers who like online buying "have attitude" when facing a seller in the flesh ... isn't that possible?

It's a wide world. You can buy online, and then fish and blank, or buy online and then pay a guide for help and catch. You can buy tackle in the right shop and be helped by an expert and have an experience in-between. Maybe you buy online and a willing pal or relative brings you on for friendship. We all get what we want and pay for in one way or another.

But whatever .... guys ... the internet bashing of those not here for whatever justification ... don't do it ... it reflects badly on you. Try saying something to the person who offended you face to face instead. Complain. Mistakes get corrected that way, and if you provoked something you might get to be told what it was. if you didn't then you have already begun a complaint and it is very simple to take it up a stage to the boss while still on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

coolwings wrote: »
    Exactly.

Let's look at what is going on in tackle shops for a moment. I exclude the shops that sell tackle but can't catch in this post. I also exclude all online shops for what is to follow.

Also there are those who want information. They are in the majority and tend to hang about for a while.

The information gatherers may be either 1 customers of long standing, or 2 people who buy some stuff elsewhere and more in the shop, or 3 they may be people who buy virtually all their stuff elsewhere, but turn up in the shop for a small item like fresh bait and then want to be told where is "ON" and how to catch a bundle of fish more then they can currently manage given their ability.

Now the staff are very aware of this, and having earned their skill and knowledge the hard way they treat their chatty customers usually in direct accordance with the amount of business the customer gives them back. In other words the staff place a value on the knowledge and help they give, even if the customer regards that information as "free", it's not.
    So the sale stays the same but the accompanying banter can be educational, tutorial, informative, revealing, guarded, sarcastic, misleading, or humourous. You might get a cup of tea, or an invitation to the pub sometimes. Everyone gets a different deal according to themselves and how they treat those they deal with.

Some people don't "get" that that is the way the world works, especialy with regard to skills and the voluntary imparting of skills to others. Some mistakes get made, sure but it usually evens out that way.

The cost difference in gear between online and bricks and mortar shops might seem high to some, but the knowledge that can be passed on with it is of very high value indeed. Rory himself, for example on a given day will catch similar numbers of salmon as all the other people out nearby added together, and consistently will catch one to three on days when all the others have a blank. The staff tend to be capable too IMO.

Now I'm obviously not in a position to say anything with regard to the specific posts above bashing a specific shop staff member on "attitude". Specifics are only available to those who were there.
    So I just make my point that in every field different folks get different treatment from experts who can choose to help or choose not to help, to either show "attitude" or to "bring the learner on".
    Online selling is for those who value such help at zero and cost as 100% dealbreaker, maybe those customers who like online buying "have attitude" when facing a seller in the flesh ... isn't that possible?

It's a wide world. You can buy online, and then fish and blank, or buy online and then pay a guide for help and catch. You can buy tackle in the right shop and be helped by an expert and have an experience in-between. Maybe you buy online and a willing pal or relative brings you on for friendship. We all get what we want and pay for in one way or another.

But whatever .... guys ... the internet bashing of those not here for whatever justification ... don't do it ... it reflects badly on you. Try saying something to the person who offended you face to face instead. Complain. Mistakes get corrected that way, and if you provoked something you might get to be told what it was. if you didn't then you have already begun a complaint and it is very simple to take it up a stage to the boss while still on the premises.

agree with this 100%

cant agree with some of that. The original post was about manners and respect these are basics for anyone working in a shop. It has nothing to do with who buys what, internet shops or who catches more fish than anyone else or any of that stuff. Just good service and manners. whether you are spending €5 or €500 it should not make a difference to the level of respect accorded. Really it doesn't matter if the shop is a super store or a small shop like Rory's, manners and respect are a basic. Look at ABC tackle a very small shop and the shopkeeper is a total gentleman. I know Rory himself and i cant fault him personally.

Just be careful to not mention specific people in this thread please guys..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

coolwings wrote: »
    Exactly.

I was the original poster and I can assure you that I understand how information is imparted to those in the fishing community very well.

The point is I was NOT looking for any advice what so ever on where to fish or how to fish, I was looking for advice on gear I was buying the value of which was well over 100euro. My problem was that I was treated with utter contempt by the long haired guy behind the counter. To be honest I couldn't believe his attitude. There was nobody else in the shop and his whole demeanor was that of someone who really did not want to be there or want me to be there.

I was polite and courteous throughout and expect to be treated like wise by people in the service industry...and that applies to all services industry's.

To be honest for me to be driven to post about it on this forum just shows how offended I was by this man attitude.

As for making a complaint... he was the only one in the shop at the time. should I have stood there and complained to him about his attitude??

There are plenty of posts on this forum recommending lots of different tackle shops and mentioning their positive points but it does not always have to go one way.....

... he was the only one in the shop at the time. should I have stood there and complained to him about his attitude?? .....
    You would probably feel better if you had complained right there. An apology might have been offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I am sure there are plenty of people who have had the same problem with this shop. I myself gave up going in there years ago and dont have enough fingers to count others I know who wouldn't go back. I was with one lad (newbee) who had €1000 to spend on gear.Who went in saying "I am have a grand and I want advise and help to buy kit for fly fishing". A catalogue was tossed across the counter with the comment "look through that pick what you want and we will look to see if we have it.".

Needless to say I dragged him out and we went elsewhere.
    Where the advice was flowing the sales girl couldn't do enough spent over two hours ensuring the gear was right asking all the right questions, offering different set-ups listing the pros and cons of each. After the purchases were made and after leaving the shop she ran after us. With a small box of flies with the words " I forgot to mention that these might help catching fish".

We still go there at the start of every season and the staff always make sure they know you are there no matter how busy they are.

We still go there at the start of every season and the staff always make sure they know you are there no matter how busy they are.

Exactly..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Look at ABC tackle a very small shop and the shopkeeper is a total gentleman.
    Agree, both he and the lady who work there are very pleasent, helpful and patient. I always buy my stuff there. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

i have been to many an angling shop... including the ones on this thread.. and they all are friendly and full of info.. well you give some info they give some... its called a conversation ... ;)

oink,,,,,,,oink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I think I must have been in every angling shop in the greater Dublin area over the last 20 years there is one that i refuse to spend money in and its Rorys

I do have a good reason and its the same as the OP

Advertisement