Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Liverpool throw game against Chelsea???

• 20-04-2010 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Well lads what ye reckon , fourth is gone for Liverpool...Liverpool have the key to the title, surely there just going to hand it to Chelsea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

Ridiculous.

What ridiculous about it, do u actually think liverpool want utd to win the league...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just like they tried to hand it to blackburn all those years ago.
    Winning means more to the club then the conspiracy theories of supporters.
    They'll bust their asses to win just like any other big club game.
    Result depending,maybe it'll help Utd, maybe it wont. (Hopefully will :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nope.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nah, they're not even guarenteed a Europa league spot

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

My balls will they, I doubt the players bar the Liverpool lads (G and Carra) will care who wins the league. Although I wouldn't be terribly upset if we win, wouldn't be terribly upset if we lost :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What ridiculous about it, do u actually think liverpool want utd to win the league...

I doubt they give a flying fcuk.

Players and managers are paid to win matches, to win trophies, etc... I doubt Liverpool FC care if Manchester Utd FC win the league, maybe the fans do, but doubt the players give a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Well lads what ye reckon , fourth is gone for Liverpool...Liverpool have the key to the title, surely there just going to hand it to Chelsea?

genius.

i should've known better than to think someone wouldn't make a thread out of this.

history doesn't favour you mate.

and as i said elsewhere...if Big Sam isn't going to hand his best mate Fergie the title after that 0-0 draw, then all conspiracy theories can effectively be thrown out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hope they throw everything they got in game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

No disrespect to Liverpool ,

I honestly dont think Chelsea will have any problems overcoming Liverpool,

Anyway this thread is a non runner until after the Man U V Spurs game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Even if they do hand the key to Chelsea, their hands are so shaky and sweaty at the moment they'd probably drop it.:pac:

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    My balls will they, I doubt the players bar the Liverpool lads (G and Carra) will care who wins the league. Although I wouldn't be terribly upset if we win, wouldn't be terribly upset if we lost :D

The two players u mentioned will have a big part to play in this game... If u set up a poll on here for liverpool supporters only to vote on who they want to see win this game i reckon 90% would say chelsea...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

flahavaj wrote: »
    Even if they do hand the key to Chelsea, their hands are so shaky and sweaty at the moment they'd probably drop it.:pac:

Whats this magical key that you speak of ?

Whats this magical key that you speak of ?

Well the 3 points of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I doubt they give a flying fcuk.

Players and managers are paid to win matches, to win trophies, etc... I doubt Liverpool FC care if Manchester Utd FC win the league, maybe the fans do, but doubt the players give a toss.

This basically.

Yeah I got that .....

It was a silly analogy , thats where I was going.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The two players u mentioned will have a big part to play in this game... If u set up a poll on here for liverpool supporters only to vote on who they want to see win this game i reckon 90% would say chelsea...

well why don't you do it then, instead of 'reckoning'?

copacetic wrote: »
    well why don't you do it then, instead of 'reckoning'?

Sure youd have every tom dick and harry voting ..Someone else do it if they like i cant be arsed..

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This basically.

The Clubs history would and should mean a lot to players and managers alike as there making themselves a part of the history of the club too.

Are Stevie G and Jamie C not liverpool fans as well as players ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No way will they.

Thing is, they won't need to the way they're playing this season, Chelsea will beat Liverpool no problem.

• Advertisement

The Clubs history would and should mean a lot to players and managers alike as there making themselves a part of the history of the club too.

Pistol are u having a change of heart..

You should nearly change the title of the the thread too :

Will Man U fans accuse Liverpool of throwing the game if Liverpool get beaten by Chelsea !

Because thats the type of gibberish you will be privy to if it happens :pac:

Pistol are u having a change of heart..

The professionals in them should want to win every game they play in , be it a friendly or a cup final.

The fan in them wont be too heartbroken if they dont get a result ,

Thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Of course Liverpool will throw the game:rolleyes:

Like they did in 1995 on the last day of the season when a win at Anfield guaranteed Blackburn the title no matter what United did.

Oh wait, Liverpool beat Blackburn and United failed to capitilise when only drawing with West Ham.

Holsten wrote: »
    No way will they.

Thing is, they won't need to the way they're playing this season, Chelsea will beat Liverpool no problem.

'no problem' seems unlikely, not a great season but don't remember anyone beating us 'no problem' at home. 2 losses all season to Villa and Arsenal and the last home loss in the league was December. Averaging nearly 2.5 goals a game at home this season too..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Whatever any individual fans will want it is disgraceful to suggest that any group of profesional players will deliberately let another team beat them..

Liverpool losing is one thing, but it won't happen them as a result of them not trying to win the game.

copacetic wrote: »
    'no problem' seems unlikely, not a great season but don't remember anyone beating us 'no problem' at home. 2 losses all season to Villa and Arsenal and the last home loss in the league was December. Averaging nearly 2.5 goals a game at home this season too..

Just out of curiosity , whats the average without nando ?

Yep, of course the history means a lot to the players. So they will be busting a gut to win the Europa League on Thursday, and will probably relish the opportunity to have a team see the sign before their dreams are crushed in front of the Kop.

The players and manager want to actively add to the club's history through winning football matches. Not throw games so that they can maintain some historical record by default.

In 1995, Liverpool turned the screw from about 60 minutes on against Blackburn and had a look of desperation about them as they chased 3 points that one would have expected to cost Blackburn the title. I expect nothing different on Sunday, and the minute Liverpool fans, players or staff start entertaining the idea of losing games so as to influence the fortunes of other clubs will be the minute we all hopped the fence into irrelevancy.

5starpool wrote: »
    Whatever any individual fans will want it is disgraceful to suggest that any group of profesional players will deliberately let another team beat them..

Liverpool losing is one thing, but it won't happen them as a result of them not trying to win the game.

True ,

You could field a weakend team,

Carlo could send Rafa a nice bottle of Red afterwards :D

• Advertisement

Disgraceful yes, but these professionals are humans, look at the match fixing that happen in Italy at the top level, disgraceful, still happened though..

Disgraceful yes, but these professionals are humans, look at the match fixing that happen in Italy at the top level, disgraceful, still happened though..

Are you suggesting there is money involved? Since I presume not, why mention the irrelevant Italian comparison?

Yep, of course the history means a lot to the players. So they will be busting a gut to win the Europa League on Thursday, and will probably relish the opportunity to have a team see the sign before their dreams are crushed in front of the Kop.

The players and manager want to actively add to the club's history through winning football matches. Not throw games so that they can maintain some historical record by default.

In 1995, Liverpool turned the screw from about 60 minutes on against Blackburn and had a look of desperation about them as they chased 3 points that one would have expected to cost Blackburn the title. I expect nothing different on Sunday, and the minute Liverpool fans, players or staff start entertaining the idea of losing games so as to influence the fortunes of other clubs will be the minute we all hopped the fence into irrelevancy.

I dont think they will throw the game or not even try to win it ,

I dont think its a good Liverpool team at the moment especially when Nando is not playing .

And the team of 95 was far better than the team of 2010.

Just out of curiosity , whats the average without nando ?

think he has 13/43 at home, so it comes down to about 1.8 I think but couldn't say for sure.

Are you suggesting there is money involved? Since I presume not, why mention the irrelevant Italian comparison?

Not suggesting , just an example of some of the stuff that can go on at the top level...

I dont think its a good Liverpool team at the moment especially when Nando is not playing .

None of the three sentences above relate to the point you made earlier.

And the last sentence is pretty lol by the way. "Far better"?

• Advertisement

Far better?

http://www.footballstatisticsresults.co.uk/english_1994_premiership_football_league.html

That was their best finish for a few years as well, having finished 8th and 6th the 2 years previous.

Far better?

http://www.footballstatisticsresults.co.uk/english_1994_premiership_football_league.html

That was their best finish for a few years as well, having finished 8th and 6th the 2 years previous.

And that 74 point haul was in a 22 team league, so over an extra 4 games.

I'd be certain that the current squad and coaching staff is comfortably better in the overall sense. Though the 1995 team played a more exciting brand of football of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nah sure Stevie wore blue as a kid and we all know about Carragher and the reason he always wears long sleeve jerseys.

;)

None of the three sentences above relate to the point you made earlier.

And the last sentence is pretty lol by the way. "Far better"?

Finished 4th with more points than the current team (42 games), won a league cup,qualified for UEFA cup which went from 2nd-5th in them days.

Robbie fowler was the PFA young player of the season.

Here is the starting 11 from the league cup final that year

Fairly good team IMO

LIVERPOOL:
    GK 1 David James
    RWB 2 Rob Jones
    CB 6 Phil Babb
    CB 12 John Scales
    CB 25 Neil Ruddock
    LWB 20 Stig Inge Bjørnebye
    CM 10 John Barnes
    CM 15 Jamie Redknapp
    AM 17 Steve McManaman
    CF 9 Ian Rush (c)
    CF 23 Robbie Fowler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nah sure Stevie wore blue as a kid and we all know about Carragher and the reason he always wears long sleeve jerseys.

;)

I was actually asking the question as I did not know ,

Cheers

• Advertisement

I know im after starting this thread but ive had a look at the table and remaining fixtures again .. If spurs and city lose at the weekend and liverpool win which is what you would expect to happen , then spurs would only have two points on liverpool and level with city, granted both with games in hand..Up to now they had points on liverpool , but after the weekend it could turn into just games in hand,games become alot harder to win then,and if u were lookin for two teams to bottle it city and spurs are right up there.. I should of waited till aftr the weekend to start this thread , liverpool are far from dead and buried yet...

Finished 4th with more points than the current team (42 games), won a league cup,qualified for UEFA cup which went from 2nd-5th in them days.

Fairly good team IMO

LIVERPOOL:
    GK 1 David James
    RWB 2 Rob Jones
    CB 6 Phil Babb
    CB 12 John Scales
    CB 25 Neil Ruddock
    CM 10 John Barnes
    CM 15 Jamie Redknapp
    AM 17 Steve McManaman
    CF 9 Ian Rush (c)
    CF 23 Robbie Fowler

They finished 4th in a substantially weaker league averaging 1.76 points per game. This year's team has averaged 1.69 points per game thus far, in a far tougher competition. They also have a good chance of winning the Europa League, which would be a significantly better achievement than Liverpool's League Cup win in 1995 (particularly given the draw they enjoyed on the way to that trophy).

As for the above list of players, none of them would be regular starters on today's team outside of Redknapp, Fowler and McManaman (how I would love to have them in their early 20's still knocking about! :)). Barnes and Rush were tailing off badly by then, James was a shadow of the keeper he is today, Jones was good but no Johnson, the other defenders terribly inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think Fergie will say that too. He did the same when Chelsea were playing Bolton. He said Bolton wouldn't try. Good old mind games!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I think Fergie will say that too. He did the same when Chelsea were playing Bolton. He said Bolton wouldn't try. Good old mind games!

Whatever about the players giving a **** about who ultimately wins the league, I would be 100% cast iron certain that they couldn't give a flying **** what Alex Ferguson has to say about Sunday's match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

you should wait until you lose to make excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oh wait, Liverpool beat Blackburn and UnitedAndy Cole failed to capitilise when only drawing with West Ham.
    fyp
    The professionals in them should want to win every game they play in , be it a friendly or a cup final.

The fan in them wont be too heartbroken if they dont get a result ,

Thats just my opinion.
    I agree.

I also don't think Chelsea will dominate the match and walk all over Liverpool. When Liverpool really want to they can rise to the occasion and stand up to any team anywhere, even with the players they've got. Have to admire that about them. Hope they have one of those performances against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Fairly good team IMO

LIVERPOOL:
    GK 1 David James
    RWB 2 Rob Jones
    CB 6 Phil Babb
    CB 12 John Scales
    CB 25 Neil Ruddock
    CM 10 John Barnes
    CM 15 Jamie Redknapp
    AM 17 Steve McManaman
    CF 9 Ian Rush (c)
    CF 23 Robbie Fowler
    No its not. Jamie Redknapp is basically Aquilani so they cancel each other out. Fowler would get straight into the squad (You could actually argue this, if Rafa insited on 1 upfront would Fowler be ahead of Torres but with Torres out it dosn't matter) and then Macca would fly onto our right wing no doubt. The rest wouldn't get their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    The rest wouldn't get their game.
    Unreal.
    This is a ridiculous comment. Comparing players for different eras is ridic anyways but saying outright that players wouldn't be on a team is just so bad.

For instance you ever see Rob Jones play?
    How could you possibly say he wouldn't get his game? If the guy hadn't had his career cut short by injury there is every chance that we would be talking about him today as the best right full/wingback to ever play in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bjornabye would easily get a game IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

em, no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement