Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Liverpool throw game against Chelsea???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Chelsea got beaten by Man City , which IMO was the worst performance of the season .

chelsea have not played well last 3 games, unless they up their game considerably they won't be hammering anyone

i don't think they will field a weak team either, remember last year with nothing to play for liverpool were still playing their full strength team the last 2-3 games, whereas utd were playing their reserves

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8048312.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8048308.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Liverpool will win 2-1. ManU will probably draw with a team in the bottom half of the table on the same day, it seems all too familiar to me for some reason.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

In fairness we need to concentrate on getting 9 pts from our 3 games. If not for Scholes late goal the other day it would've been just 1 goal and 2 points from our last 3 league games. Thats not good form. So while the Chelsea Pool game may be pivotal, it could well happen that Liverpool win and Chelsea still win the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I dunno if its it's been mentioned already but they could have rolled over in the last game of 1995 to deny us the league but they didn't. Not that it mattered. :D

Blackburn 1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

They didn't do it in 1995, and they won't do it now either.

I'd be very surprised if SAF didn't have something to say on the matter, if it is really significant (the little matter of Spurs first!). I'm sure he'll put the spotlight on the Liverpool team sheet, so the media will be ready to examine Rafa's team selection microscopically.

Didn't he make similar comments that Leeds tried their hearts out against United, but would probably roll over the next week vs Newcastle?

Well Torres is out already and if Liverpool are officially out of the race for 4th and are in the Europa final he's well within his rights to rest players in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Well Torres is out already and if Liverpool are officially out of the race for 4th and are in the Europa final he's well within his rights to rest players in fairness.

I understand your point but the FA did fine Wolves for fielding a weakened team so if they let Liverpool away with such a situation it would be pretty farcical.

I expect Liverpool to play to win and I reckon they have a good chance of doing so. I would feel better though if they still had the chance for fourth so hopefully they will still be in with a mathematical chance.

I understand your point but the FA did fine Wolves for fielding a weakened team so if they let Liverpool away with such a situation it would be pretty farcical.

I expect Liverpool to play to win and I reckon they have a good chance of doing so. I would feel better though if they still had the chance for fourth so hopefully they will still be in with a mathematical chance.

That Wolves fine was a farce.

Don't top teams do that in cup games all the time?

Liverpool will play to win. They are professionals, it's the last home game of the season.

I'd imagine the players don't give a flying fúck if united win the league tbh.

The fans yes, the players no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

That Wolves fine was a farce.

Don't top teams do that in cup games all the time?

Liverpool will play to win. They are professionals, it's the last home game of the season.

I'd imagine the players don't give a flying fúck if united win the league tbh.

The fans yes, the players no.
    Yes Liverpool are not going to roll over against a team like chelsea on what is their own patch.
    Let us worry about Chelsea, Let united worry about their games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

they may field a weak team. The europa 1st leg is thursday(as far as i know, they have to make a long journey to spain) Im not sure how they get back.
    Match Vs Chelsea Sunday(4th place gone)

2nd leg that thursday at home.

No they wont throw the game................... but they might not be too bothered about it either!!

The match against Chelsea is Sunday week, not this Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Kess73 wrote: »
    A fully fit Rob Jones would walk into the RB slot ahead of Johnson.

id like to think that, i dunno tho, johnson is pretty good

Rob Jones was a quality player but think Johnson has been a good buy for us this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What i wouldn't give to have john barnes and steve maca in our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

will liverpool throw the result? they ****in better

the thoughts of gary neville and ryan giggs holding the trophy will cause illness in the liverpool camp resulting in their under 14s having to play against chelsea.

they might also have a uefa cup final to prepare for and it will come 3 days after the second leg against atletico so with players being rested there will prob be a weaker liverpool team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I wish City and Liverpool fans would let this go. As if other teams have not had 5+ minutes of injury time when they were losing. The United/Liverpool game went into 6 minutes of injury time a few weeks ago. Nobody complained then and for good reason, sometimes time needs to be added.

As for throwing the game, I think it is obvious that will not happen. They might lose or even field a weakened team due to the Europa League, but that is far from throwing the game. Here's hoping Steven Gerrard scores a league winning goal for the first and only time in his Liverpool career :D

I wish City and Liverpool fans would let this go. As if other teams have not had 5+ minutes of injury time when they were losing. The United/Liverpool game went into 6 minutes of injury time a few weeks ago. Nobody complained then and for good reason, sometimes time needs to be added.

As for throwing the game, I think it is obvious that will not happen. They might lose or even field a weakened team due to the Europa League, but that is far from throwing the game. Here's hoping Steven Gerrard scores a league winning goal for the first and only time in his Liverpool career :D

the issue was he signalled 4 minutes. thats why it pisses people off. to be honest i think if gerrard scored the goal that won united their 19th league he would just throw himself into the mersey.

if he didnt i'd assume there would be a few kopites only happy to help him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

What could happen is if Liverpool where to throw the game Everton could over take them if they have one more bad result which i'm sure they wouldn't like very much

Iang87 wrote: »
    the issue was he signalled 4 minutes. thats why it pisses people off. to be honest i think if gerrard scored the goal that won united their 19th league he would just throw himself into the mersey.

if he didnt i'd assume there would be a few kopites only happy to help him

It is a minimum of 4 minutes...not a guaranteed 4 minutes. City scored after the board went up, substitutions happened too. Plenty of things happened to add to the original 4 minutes. It regularly happens that more time is played than is suggested by the 4th official.

As for Gerrard, I can think of no better legacy than being the man to win United's 19th league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Anyone who thinks for a second Liverpool won't throw it is completely and utter delusional

out of the race for 4th nothing to play for, help united win the league that puts them in front on total league trophies.

you're off your rocker.

but the way liverpool are playing, they very well may not need to throw it.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks for a second Liverpool won't throw it is completely and utter delusional

out of the race for 4th nothing to play for, help united win the league that puts them in front on total league trophies.

you're off your rocker.

They are not out of the race for 4th. Spurs and City could easily lose this weekend to United and Arsenal. If they do, Liverpool are very much in the hunt for 4th place.

Liverpool beat Blackburn in 95, Denis Law scored against United for City...these thing happen in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

you're off your rocker.

The irony is delicious.

They are not out of the race for 4th. Spurs and City could easily lose this weekend to United and Arsenal. If they do, Liverpool are very much in the hunt for 4th place.

Liverpool beat Blackburn in 95, Denis Law scored against United for City...these thing happen in football.

5 pts behind and spurs have a game in hand 3 games to go.

trust me, your out of the race.

If you're really feeling it, I have 1k that says it's a bad feeling if you want to match it.

you're off your rocker.

If you're really feeling it, I have 1k that says it's a bad feeling if you want to match it.

Getting the excuses in early

BTW, you aren't very good at this.

no way is there people who still think liverpool can get 4th. if we're lucky we'll get 7th

• Advertisement

Getting the excuses in early

Nope, united won't win the league and it won't have anything to do with liverpool throwing it.

but they will throw it.

Nope, united won't win the league and it won't have anything to do with liverpool throwing it.

but they will throw it.

You obviously are too young to remember blackburn 95 fanboy?

You obviously are too young to remember blackburn 95 fanboy

How many league titles do united have today.

how many do liverpool.

you understand the difference right?

You're not very good at this...

How many league titles do united have today.

how many do liverpool.

you understand the difference right?

You're not very good at this...

:pac:

Do you actually think the majority of Liverpool players give a fcuk about united? Seriously?

The fans yes, the players bar a couple no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

but they will throw it.

Complete and utter rubbish you talking out of your ......

No team in the EPL would throw a game and if they did they should and would be brought up on charges and shown the door from the league .

Think before you type such muck in future !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Iang87 wrote: »
    no way is there people who still think liverpool can get 4th. if we're lucky we'll get 7th

5th, 6th or 7th , does it really make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    5th, 6th or 7th , does it really make a difference?

Yeah, tis over a million prize money a place I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

On tonight's performance I don't think Liverpool will throw the game. They will get battered by Chelsea.

Complete and utter rubbish you talking out of your ......

No team in the EPL would throw a game and if they did they should and would be brought up on charges and shown the door from the league .

Think before you type such muck in future !

that's not what people were saying when west ham beat united last game of the season to stay up :rolleyes:

They won't throw it "throw it" we're not going to see carra putting the ball in his own net, but they won't exactly kill themselves to get a result

the result is the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope we throw it and all the Utd fans start crying into their Ronaldo bedsheets.

First off, I'm no Liverpool fan. The post before yours was me saying how happy I'd be to see Gerrard score the goal that hands United their 19th league.

Secondly, Spurs and City could very easily blow it. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'd be far from surprised. Like I said, if Arsenal and United win at the weekend, the league will look a lot different.

There is a game to be played and Liverpool players will want to win. Any other crackpot theory needs to be sent to the bin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, tis over a million prize money a place I think.

Apparently last year 1.5 mill difference between 5th and 7th. Didn't think it was that much, fifth it is so!:)

They won't throw it "throw it" we're not going to see carra putting the ball in his own net, but they won't exactly kill themselves to get a result

But you just said...

I think I need to go to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i kinda hope we do 'throw' the league now.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've actually only seen this thread now and i haven't bothered wading through it's dung.

What is the point of this thread?? Seriously??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

monkey9 wrote: »
    I've actually only seen this thread now and i haven't bothered wading through it's dung.

it was actually verging on ok until the last page.

'Liverpool won't want Utd to get 19'
    'What about Blackburn '95?'
    'Liverpool players don't give a f*ck about United and history.'
    'If it were the other way round, what would Gary Neville do?'

that sort of fare in a nutshell i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SlickRic wrote: »
    it was actually verging on ok until the last page.

'Liverpool won't want Utd to get 19'
    'What about Blackburn '95?'
    'Liverpool players don't give a f*ck about United and history.'
    'If it were the other way round, what would Gary Neville do?'

that sort of fare in a nutshell i think.

This thread sums up some fans for me. They hate Liverpool more than they love Utd and vice versa!!

monkey9 wrote: »

What is the point of this thread?? Seriously??
    To determine whether Liverpool will throw the game I think. TBH not losing too much sleep over it myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

To be honest ,IMO
    Liverpool football club have to much history and pride to ever entertain the idea of throwing a match,any match tell alone a home game .Yes Liverpool may or may not rest a player or two depending on their European position or 4th post race but is completely down to them ,And a tactic that all clubs would and have employed before . And if they do field a so called weakened side I fully expect them to put in an honest and determined effort . If it is good enough to actually beat Chelsea is another story , [without Torres doubtful IMO ] Also add in the recent history over the last few season's between the two clubs and I just cannot see anything but a total fair and honest effort from both sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

mike65 wrote: »
    I hope we throw it and all the Utd fans start crying into their Ronaldo bedsheets.

Great sporting comment there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I 100% want us to play a reserve team against Chelsea. Just because i want players like Pacheco to get valuable PL experience against a good team.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Great sporting comment there:rolleyes:
    Nothing wrong with it. He was being honest. I personally dont want to see United win the 19th or the four-in-a-row.
    Lets get that out of the way and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Nothing wrong with it. He was being honest. I personally dont want to see United win the 19th or the four-in-a-row.
    Lets get that out of the way and move on.

What does it matter. Fact is, if United don't get number 19 this season they'll get it soon enough. And there's little sign of Liverpool adding to their haul any time soon. But who's to say that won't change eventually? We've no idea who'll be top of the pile 10 years from now. Could be Liverpool, could be Arsenal, could be anyone taken over by a billionaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What does it matter what way they take it - they will get beaten by Chelsea anyways as Chelsea are the best team in the League /

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    What does it matter what way they take it - they will get beaten by Chelsea anyways as Chelsea are the best team in the League /
    Final table will determine that.

Advertisement