Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a shooting range in NYC

Options
  • 20-04-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna be in New York City for two weeks in June and really want to check out an indoor shooting range.
    Can you go to these if you are a tourist?
    If so can anyone recommend me a good one?

Thanks,
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Queens, Harlem, uptown, downtown, in between town, Soprano-land, Joisey, the meadowlands... The list goes on and on.

:)

Seriously, though, have you a firearm or know someone with one? Doubtful you will be able to rent one. However, it is possible. With the anti-gun sentiment of the liberal NE, you are unlikely to rent in the area. Take a day and head to PA.

If you feel like doing some HW go to some of the webSites like S&W, Remington, Sig Sauer, ... They occasionally sponsor days when people can take their products for a test drive so to speak. At the very least, you will have no cleaning to do. You'll have to buy ammo from the house though.

Where will you be? Closer to Joisey or Lon-gisland, as they say. There's an outdoor range in Long Island called Calverton. Give us an idea what you are going to be closer to and maybe someone can suss you out.

What do you want to shoot? There's places that will give you a shotgun, but you have to buy their ammo.

Many places have a shop/range. They may let you take a peak in, however, they usually frown upon gawkers.

Maybe if you throw down the auld brogue, they'll cut you some slack. Just watch the old - burn everything British but their coal jokes...

So what will you be closest to:CT, NJ, or LI?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

I havent been to the States in a while but during a couple of my trips I did some pistol shooting. It probably varies greatly by state though.

My mate lived on the outskirts of Philadelphia and we went to Target World on Country Line a couple of times and as long as you could produce identity (passport was fine) and were competent they would rent you the lane and pistol and sell the ammo no bother. I had done a little pistol shooting in the FCA and they were happy with that and a quick demo that I new the basics of safety.

I worked in Connecticut for a couple of weeks (Norwalk) and did go to another range up there, near Stamford I think, and they had a similar approach.

I tried another range near Philly another time but they wanted you to do their in house Safety Course first (sounds just like home ;-)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This comes up occasionally, but what with New York City being a gun-free utopia of fluffy bunny rabbits and rainbows, the news isn't usually great.

Here's a fairly recent thread on the subject, with NYC being specifically discussed from post #24 onwards:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055473057

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I'm back about about a month from it and looked into going to a range there. Sorry but you have to be a resident.

Mallards.

Advertisement