Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

predicted cao points 2010

• 20-04-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

right, we all know that a load of the courses points are going up, primarily business and science, but by how much?? what points do you need to get to be "safe"???

im going for physio myself and with the 28% increase of applicants this year i say the points are going to go way up. with ul at 565 last year i guess 575 should be fairly safe ( thank god fr th extra points fr hons maths!!:D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

repeatLC wrote: »
    right, we all know that a load of the courses points are going up, primarily business and science,

I never knew business was going up:(

Are all business courses expected to increase? Or just the mid-table ones? (e.g. the commerces) Is it due to mature students?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

stainluss wrote: »
    I Is it due to mature students?
    AFAIK mature students are not selected based on their LC points.I think that there are interviews and aptitude tests,so they aren't in competition with LC students.The only people that would be in competition with you would be people who did their LC in the last few years and are now reapplying through the cao again as school leavers not mature students.

AFAIK mature students are not selected based on their LC points.I think that there are interviews and aptitude tests,so they aren't in competition with LC students.The only people that would be in competition with you would be people who did their LC in the last few years and are now reapplying through the cao again as school leavers not mature students.

But if the mature students took up more places this year, then points would go up due to less places?

But if the mature students took up more places this year, then points would go up due to less places?
    I don't think so.I think that they have a certain amunt of places for cao applicants and a certain amount for mature students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

repeatLC wrote: »
    ( thank god fr th extra points fr hons maths!!:D)

There's extra points for honours maths? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

There's extra points for honours maths? :eek:

Yes, in UL they give extra points for HL Maths.

lc2010 wrote: »
    Yes, in UL they give extra points for HL Maths.

That's great, I didn't know they did that. Now if only I lived a little closer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

That's great, I didn't know they did that. Now if only I lived a little closer..
    I'm applying to Cork just so I can get an apartment/away from my family:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I really don't see there being a drastic across the board increase in points.All this talk of extra applicants is being blown out of proportion.There is like an extra 4000 applicants in the whole country and out of 80000 that's not a lot!!!Plus think of it this way, a vast majority of that 4000 will be people who didn't choose to go to college but now want to because they can't find a job.Do you really think anyone that got 350+ points in the last few years wouldn't have gone to 3rd level.That leaves mainly people that got < 350 applying now so if your aiming for a course in the 400's you shouldn't really be worried about points going up anymore than the usual increase/decrease.Also, people who are doing the leaving cert this year who maybe wouldn't have choosen to apply for collage in the last few years....well you can safely pressume they won't be among the highest achievers points wise.

gant0 wrote: »
    I really don't see there being a drastic across the board increase in points.All this talk of extra applicants is being blown out of proportion.There is like an extra 4000 applicants in the whole country and out of 80000 that's not a lot!!!Plus think of it this way, a vast majority of that 4000 will be people who didn't choose to go to college but now want to because they can't find a job.Do you really think anyone that got 350+ points in the last few years wouldn't have gone to 3rd level.That leaves mainly people that got < 350 applying now so if your aiming for a course in the 400's you shouldn't really be worried about points going up anymore than the usual increase/decrease.Also, people who are doing the leaving cert this year who maybe wouldn't have choosen to apply for collage in the last few years....well you can safely pressume they won't be among the highest achievers points wise.

Probably will be courses with points 200-350/380 most affected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

do you think the points of like all courses will like be now above 400 points?

theowen wrote: »
    I'm applying to Cork just so I can get an apartment/away from my family:rolleyes:

Corks a bit too far for me, too much of a trek back at the weekend! I've about six courses down for Maynooth so if I don't get into Trinity i'll more than likely be going there and getting an apartment :) Although even though I don't live that far away from Trinity I could get an apartment, the whole college experience and all that :cool: I don't think my parents would mind too much.

LovexxLife wrote: »
    do you think the points of like all courses will like be now above 400 points?
    No that would be impossible since there are more college places than there are people who get over 400 points in the lc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Science in UCD predictions anyone? 420/430 maybe?? Or would that be way off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

im not sure :) last year my course points dropped by a 100 :) even though we had a record number of ppl applying for it...i would say it will rise this year to minimise of people who just go to college for one day and expect to pass exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

UL Business anyone???? maybe 400 this year????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't think so.I think that they have a certain amunt of places for cao applicants and a certain amount for mature students.

You're right in saying that there is only a limited number of places for mature students, but the fact is that more of them are applying so before, the places allocated to matures might not have been filled, but the places are being filled now, meaning there are less places for CAO applicants.

It's not just down to mature students though. More students are going to college now instead of going working for a year, or just leaving the education system all together.
    Also, the types of courses being applied for are changing. More and more people are applying for science and health-related courses, while demand for engineering-type courses is falling.

So it's for a variety of reasons that points are invariably going to rise, not just because there are more mature students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Iwas hoping to go too UCC but now wanting to go to UL for Public Administration which was 340 last year....I'm terrified it will go higher than 360 which I'm aiming for...Hopfully it wont go beyhond 350 :(

Having to work my arse off and theres only very specific courses I would like to do so if I dont get the points I'm really screwed...off all feckin years for the points to rise :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I'm going to UCD Arts which is expected to go to around 380. I'm aiming to get 400 so I should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

science in ucd apparently goin up by 45 points????

• Advertisement

Arts,science,law,business are ment to all skyrocket isint it.

Like all the courses I want to do a politically aimed like Public Admin,Politcs and International etc and then hopefully do a postgrad in somthing.
    I dont want to do a course for the sake of doing one heh,Like I have multimedia down in CIT but if I got it I dunno :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

mink_man wrote: »
    science in ucd apparently goin up by 45 points????

feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

im not sure :) last year my course points dropped by a 100 :) even though we had a record number of ppl applying for it...i would say it will rise this year to minimise of people who just go to college for one day and expect to pass exams

:eek: what course was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

Seloth wrote: »
    Arts,science,law,business are ment to all skyrocket isint it.

Like all the courses I want to do a politically aimed like Public Admin,Politcs and International etc and then hopefully do a postgrad in somthing.
    I dont want to do a course for the sake of doing one heh,Like I have multimedia down in CIT but if I got it I dunno :o

I thought cao law applicants were down around 7% (lack of jobs the main cause) :confused: anyone else hoping to do law hear the same thing?

Oh really..might be wrong about the law so :o

I thought cao law applicants were down around 7% (lack of jobs the main cause) :confused: anyone else hoping to do law hear the same thing?
    Law should go down but you really have to prepared if you really want to do law.At this stage your only gonna get a job if your the best in your class and even then you wont.That was the case last year can you imagine what it'l be like when you graduate with a backlog of 3-5 years of applicants just as or more so qualified than you.I'm not trying to scare you but just be warned,if you want a good job in law it's gonna take a lot of very hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

hi, why would arts be on the rise? Cos a lot of people seem to think that arts isnt a great course?

LovexxLife wrote: »
    hi, why would arts be on the rise? Cos a lot of people seem to think that arts isnt a great course?
    Because a lot of people who wouldn't normaly have gone to collage and are unsure of what to do so they would do arts and because generally arts is quite easy to get in too(maybe not anymore tho).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

gant0 wrote: »
    Law should go down but you really have to prepared if you really want to do law.At this stage your only gonna get a job if your the best in your class and even then you wont.That was the case last year can you imagine what it'l be like when you graduate with a backlog of 3-5 years of applicants just as or more so qualified than you.I'm not trying to scare you but just be warned,if you want a good job in law it's gonna take a lot of very hard work.

I know what you mean but I'm not going down the solicitor/barrister route with the degree. These days it's not about what degree you do but the quality of your degree! I'll try get 30-ish points above my course in case points do rise. Thanks for the advice though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭juliancallan

It was confirmed in the news today that every course in the country has risen to 601 points. This ensures an equal opportunity to all students.

Advertisement