Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

predicted cao points 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

It was confirmed in the news today that every course in the country has risen to 601 points. This ensures an equal opportunity to all students.

haha legend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

stainluss wrote: »
    I never knew business was going up:(

Are all business courses expected to increase? Or just the mid-table ones? (e.g. the commerces) Is it due to mature students?

Commerce in UCD is expected to go up to about 475
    kev9100 wrote: »
    I'm going to UCD Arts which is expected to go to around 380. I'm aiming to get 400 so I should be ok.

Arts is expected to go up to in around 385/390 this year.
    Seloth wrote: »
    Arts,science,law,business are ment to all skyrocket isint it.

Law is not going up this year and points are expected to drop this year for Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Sirpineapple

Well computer science is supposed to go up
    but does anyone know by how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Heard computer science in UCD is going up to 430

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

There is no real way to determine points increases as the system is based on demand for course places and the points of the applicants to the courses.

Go study and stop worrying yourselves. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

unknown13 wrote: »
    Heard computer science in UCD is going up to 430
    There is no possible way of knowing what the points are going to be you can only go off previous trends but due to numbers of applicants this year you can't really rely on an educated guess anymore as there has never been such an change in applicants although personally I can't see the points going up much more than a usual increase that you might expect from other years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ANDYBOND777

I'd say that you have to 20 pts more than base points of your course to be really safe...
    that's just my guess. what do I know? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

im not sure :) last year my course points dropped by a 100 :) even though we had a record number of ppl applying for it...
    Why?

Did the number of places available expand significantly?
    i would say it will rise this year to minimise of people who just go to college for one day and expect to pass exams
    It doesn't happen that way, the CAO is based entirely on the number of places and the number of applicants, with the cut-off point generated where they both meet.

Colleges can't just say "oh, we'll raise the points for X course" ... all they can do is (a) decrease the number of places offered, which will normally drive the points up (but there are other reasons why they normally don't do that, at least for that reason) or (b) raise the "minimum requirements" for a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

is business to increase????

im hoping to go to UL will that increase much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Does anyone know how much law is expect to drop by,Like all the building related courses such as architecture dropped by loads last year and our school had a sheet with a list of stats on it.

Not putting it down as my main,but mightputit under encase mine goes up...was planning to do it post grad anyway*shrugs*Tbh dought it will drop by much though,Like the courses I'm going for were 340-350 last year and I'm aiming for around 360-365.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Reckle

from articles i read in the times and independent about CAO choices and courses arts and buisness and teaching courses are all on the increase point wise and are really in demand
    although it said science isnt really popular this year at all ?
    anyone else think science courses in general that their points will drop or stay the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

I could be completely wrong because I'm not doing medicine but do you think there would be an increase in general science points.. because if you don't get the HPAT you can't do medicine, so people often take the backroute by taking science to get into medicine? Since the whole HPAT business is relatively new so compared to other years would it be much higher points? (I know you need to take the HPAT anyway but still) i hope i made sense there :confused: haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

i hope i made sense there :confused: haha
    Not to me! Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I could be completely wrong because I'm not doing medicine but do you think there would be an increase in general science points.. because if you don't get the HPAT you can't do medicine, so people often take the backroute by taking science to get into medicine? Since the whole HPAT business is relatively new so compared to other years would it be much higher points? (I know you need to take the HPAT anyway but still) i hope i made sense there :confused: haha

I doubt many people do Science if they don't get Medicine, because it's not technically an alternative pathway into Med school (you can actually do Graduate Entry Med with a 2.1 in any course, so you don't necessarily have to do Science to get in) - BUT it's still very likely Science will go up this year. After all, points for Science shot up dramatically last year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went up again, so expect the worst and be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rogers4815

Anybody know about Computer Science in Trinity? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

Not to me! Sorry!

:D yeah i wasn't sure if i made sense or not :cool: basically was wondering would science be more popular this year since the HPAT makes getting into medicine more difficult, and people who don't get the points for medicine sometimes do a science degree then do medicine. Someone else answered my questions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

gant0 wrote: »
    I really don't see there being a drastic across the board increase in points.All this talk of extra applicants is being blown out of proportion.There is like an extra 4000 applicants in the whole country and out of 80000 that's not a lot!!!Plus think of it this way, a vast majority of that 4000 will be people who didn't choose to go to college but now want to because they can't find a job.Do you really think anyone that got 350+ points in the last few years wouldn't have gone to 3rd level.That leaves mainly people that got < 350 applying now so if your aiming for a course in the 400's you shouldn't really be worried about points going up anymore than the usual increase/decrease.Also, people who are doing the leaving cert this year who maybe wouldn't have choosen to apply for collage in the last few years....well you can safely pressume they won't be among the highest achievers points wise.

Plus the media thrive on this! Every year theres something new with the CAO.. Points will go up by a 20 at most

It was confirmed in the news today that every course in the country has risen to 601 points. This ensures an equal opportunity to all students.

Epic.

kev9100 wrote: »
    I'm going to UCD Arts which is expected to go to around 380. I'm aiming to get 400 so I should be ok.

I thought the UCD arts was like 450?! I was going to go there this year, but now Im thinking NUI cause its only 375.. Is UCD really 380..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I doubt many people do Science if they don't get Medicine, because it's not technically an alternative pathway into Med school (you can actually do Graduate Entry Med with a 2.1 in any course, so you don't necessarily have to do Science to get in) - BUT it's still very likely Science will go up this year. After all, points for Science shot up dramatically last year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went up again, so expect the worst and be prepared.

People tend to do either a science-y course, or a health-related course if they don't get medicine, because they're courses that are someway similar to medicine.
    And yeah, you're right that you need a 2.1 in any course, but the gamsat (the test to get in) has a lot of 3rd level biology and chemistry, so just to get in, it'd be very beneficial to have done science. Also, those courses move very quickly, so it'd be a great help to somebody if they had a background already in 3rd level science.

Also, I don't understand how people come up with figures as to what points are "expected to rise to". Seriously, nobody is going to know until the day the CAO offers are actually released. It's impossible to say what points for a certain course are going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

RoRoCullen wrote: »
    I thought the UCD arts was like 450?! I was going to go there this year, but now Im thinking NUI cause its only 375.. Is UCD really 380..?

general arts in UCD was 360 ish last year but AFAIK there were specific arts subjects like say arts-international-spanish that were 450 ish

you shouldn't be placing your cao course choices based on the the fact you think you wont get the points anyway. Pick them in the order you want them and then have a few bankers in 8, 9 , 10

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went up again, so expect the worst and be prepared.
    One of the chemisty lecturers in said that she expected points for science in NUIG to be up around 400 this year,because of an increase in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mongolia

anyone got any idea on points for european studies in TCD? its been all over the place in the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

My first choice is Computer Science in UCC which as only been 300 points for the past 6 years on record. Everyone's saying it's going to go up now but I have no idea by how much.
    Can anyone shed light on the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nadbags

dang you guys are lucky i'd love to be allowed go to a college outside dublin but my rents actually WONT let me cus i'd hav to get an apartment there and they wanna "keep an eye on me"

I'v applied for european studies in trinity though which is 510.. seeing as its languages which doesnt seem to very popular does anyone think it'll be going up?? cus i think if i can manage to get 510 i'll be very lucky.. so if it goes up i'v basically got nooo chance.. wish me luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Anyone have any idea by how much media courses (like journalism and comms) in DCU or DIT could go up? Or if they will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Can anyone guess how much journalism and new media in UL could go up by?? Is anyone else going for it??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

What about maths science or financial maths?? in ucc they're the one course for the first year and it has gone from 405 points in 2006 to 515 last year!! that's like 35 points every year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Can anyone guess how much journalism and new media in UL could go up by?? Is anyone else going for it??:D

Was flirting with it but decided that it really was a bit too much media and not enough journalism for me, that and the lack of any sort of real job possibilities it could give you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Fernicia wrote: »
    My first choice is Computer Science in UCC which as only been 300 points for the past 6 years on record. Everyone's saying it's going to go up now but I have no idea by how much.
    Can anyone shed light on the situation?
    hmm well im going for it and i will probably get around the mid 300's, so if we know the standard of everyone applying then we will get a fair idea ha

Advertisement