Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

predicted cao points 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lovelyrita

what about points for Modern Languages at UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

anybody got their opinions for nursing?? I personally don't think there will be a dramatic rise in points maybe the usual 10 or 15 + :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jrk92

hiii:L is anyone applying for Architecture in DIT or in UL? I have passed the suitability test (I got 75/100) and then interview...I have no idea how it went but hopefully good:L the points for architecture last year were 595/800 ( 100points for test +100 points for the interview) I submitted my portfolio in UL and it also have passed so now I have to wait for the results..any predictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

jrk92 wrote: »
    hiii:L is anyone applying for Architecture in DIT or in UL? I have passed the suitability test (I got 75/100) and then interview...I have no idea how it went but hopefully good:L the points for architecture last year were 595/800 ( 100points for test +100 points for the interview) I submitted my portfolio in UL and it also have passed so now I have to wait for the results..any predictions?

If you ring up DIT you could get your results if you have ur cao number handy, i don't know the number though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Does anyone know if the points for Hotel and Catering in GMIT are meant to go up by much? I know last year they went up by about 50 or so but it was the first time in years....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

Does anyone know if the points for Hotel and Catering in GMIT are meant to go up by much? I know last year they went up by about 50 or so but it was the first time in years....

can't see it going up as tourism is down so that will have to have some effect on the points...! any idea for home ec teaching..?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Junior D wrote: »
    Yep, me too although its lower down on the CAO. I think I should have the points for it anyway

515??? :eek: I've think i'll be lucky to get 420 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I seriously doubt any maths courses will increase, and by maths I mean pure maths courses.

Basing this on the facts that so few people do higher maths, not all of them who are doing it are going to get the required grade, and out of the ones who get the required grade, not all of them are going to apply for a pure maths course.

Last year, 48.1% of people who did HL Maths got a B3 or above, which is 4050 people.

I doubt that will increase much, infact, I suspect it will decrease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I seriously doubt any maths courses will increase, and by maths I mean pure maths courses.

Basing this on the facts that so few people do higher maths, not all of them who are doing it are going to get the required grade, and out of the ones who get the required grade, not all of them are going to apply for a pure maths course.

Last year, 48.1% of people who did HL Maths got a B3 or above, which is 4050 people.

I doubt that will increase much, infact, I suspect it will decrease.
    Well, I doubt the number will alter significantly.... the bell curve and all that. And given how easy the paper was, if there was to be any change, which I doubt, surely it'd be an increase in high grades?

Unless you are supposing that they will go tough on Maths to make Project Maths look better... which is a distinct possibility I suppose. Aaah, I shouldn't overthink these things! :)

Well, I doubt the number will alter significantly.... the bell curve and all that. And given how easy the paper was, if there was to be any change, which I doubt, surely it'd be an increase in high grades?

Unless you are supposing that they will go tough on Maths to make Project Maths look better... which is a distinct possibility I suppose. Aaah, I shouldn't overthink these things! :)

From looking around boards, alot of people found it quite difficult.
    Bell Curve or not, in the event that, hypothetically, the entire country gets 100% theres not a thing they can do about it.
    Although obviously they have nothing to worry about..

If only an A in Applied Maths was mandatory to get into maths courses. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This isn't the first year that people have found the maths paper simple, and it won't be the last. And the results are always the same due to the bell curve.

Maths teachers generally hate to see easy papers like the one we got (I'm not saying it was easy, I'm going by the general concensus!) as the marking scheme is very hard, it means that the gifted students can get caught out on tiny mistakes and not get the A1 that they really deserve. A difficult maths paper will have a forgiving marking scheme, meaning that it is much more discriminating between gifted students and average students, and that the most gifted students will come out on top.

I didn't phrase that very well, but you get the jist.

This isn't the first year that people have found the maths paper simple, and it won't be the last. And the results are always the same due to the bell curve.

Maths teachers generally hate to see easy papers like the one we got (I'm not saying it was easy, I'm going by the general concensus!) as the marking scheme is very hard, it means that the gifted students can get caught out on tiny mistakes and not get the A1 that they really deserve. A difficult maths paper will have a forgiving marking scheme, meaning that it is much more discriminating between gifted students and average students, and that the most gifted students will come out on top.

I didn't phrase that very well, but you get the jist.

Well I'm hoping they wont completely penalise me for misreading the vector question and showing that two other vectors were coolinear instead of the two they wanted us to show.. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well I'm hoping they wont completely penalise me for misreading the vector question and showing that two other vectors were coolinear instead of the two they wanted us to show.. :o

It'll be a blunder at most (-3 marks). I wouldn't worry about it! You will always get the attempt mark anyway for making any sort of logical attempt at it.

It'll be a blunder at most (-3 marks). I wouldn't worry about it! You will always get the attempt mark anyway for making any sort of logical attempt at it.

Well I wrote down something like "two vectors are coolinear if one is a multiple of the other", then applied that fact to the vectors I thought were the correct ones. So hopefully I'll get a few marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Maths is always a funny one to judge how things went. Unless you know you got the right answer without shadow of doubt, you really cant be sure of anything or make any guesses as to how you did.
    I remember the exam I did had a few red herrings in it and questions were asked that hadnt been seen before. So that threw a lot of us and the timing of the exam went out the window. After getting an A1 in the pre I ended up with a B1 in the real thing and was surprised I even did that well. If the exam is considered tough, they do tend to be forgiving on the attempt marks and look at your logical approach to the question. Thats why its so important to not make a huge mess of any errors or any of your rough work in a maths exam.
    On the flip side, if the exam is considered 'easy' (which is always such a dangerous analysis to issue - rather more, the questions were straight forward with nothing demanding serious logical step by step reasoning to come to the answer), then attempt marks are not so easily thrown at people.

So just stop over thinking, going back over the should haves and what ifs, and just wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Read the thread title people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10rooney10

hi ... just wondering if anybody can estimate what the likely points for lm051 computer systems in university of limerick will be?!! also i wonder if there is much interest in the course this year?!! answers would be much appreciated :D thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭emmacxxx

Hey, i got 355 points in my LC and my first choice was marketing in DIT which obviously i wont get cos was 375 last year! My second was retail and services managment which last year was 330, do u think il have enough for that course!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cant think of a decent username

hey, right well im looking for DT211 (computing) it was 240 last year and i got 305. do you think thats enough to be safe ? my thinking is that because it was quite low that everyone might jump on the band wagon :S

there was a small maths requirement as well but i doubt that effected many people who would go for computing ......... whats the verdict ? will i be alright ?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

hey, right well im looking for DT211 (computing) it was 240 last year and i got 305. do you think thats enough to be safe ? my thinking is that because it was quite low that everyone might jump on the band wagon :S

there was a small maths requirement as well but i doubt that effected many people who would go for computing ......... whats the verdict ? will i be alright ?

You'll be fine, with all the computer courses it won't jump by 65 points in 1 year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'm hoping Computer Science in UCC won't go up by more than 25, I have 30 extra so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GAAmadd

anyone know if criminal justice will go up by much???????? In waterford or dublin????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'm hoping enterprise computing in DCU won't go up by 125 points - I really got way more points than I was expecting :o:o:o but saying that it's the course I wanted to do the most so I was picking it even if was 100 points...

but at least I shouldn't have to worry come Monday at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jrk92

I got 595 (interview+test+LC). They required 595 last year. Hopefully I get that place in DIT:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cant think of a decent username

Ian Beale wrote: »
    You'll be fine, with all the computer courses it won't jump by 65 points in 1 year.

thanks ;) bit of a weight off my shoulders lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 who.dunnit

I think everything that was in the 200-300 range is going to shoot up.
    Any opinions on where med is going?

one thing to be a bit wary of is all the first dent and pharm etc students who went and sat the hpat again this year and have the points from last year. Not sure did whoever come up with the hpat consider those students and the effect it'll have on their courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I would be hoping to go to maynooth to study finance and accounting.
    When I checked the cao I cud have sworn that I saw the points from 375 - 405.

I exactly got 375 but the odds of the point not going up is pretty slim.

It's contradicts itself.

Some are saying Arts will go up. Finance and accounting is an Art subject.

Some are saying business courses won't go up.
    Finanace and accounting is also part of business.

Does anyone think Arts/Humanities in St. Pat's, Drumcondra will rise by much? My twin brother missed out on the points for the B.Ed in Pats and is hoping to get the BA - he's got 420 points and the BA was 415 last year in the final round offers - so it's tight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

hopefully home economics teaching won't go up too much!
    got 475 absolutley delighted! still in shock..!
    was 450 last year ... hopefully won't jump too much..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

I'm hoping Computer Science in UCC won't go up by more than 25, I have 30 extra so fingers crossed.

I'm on your boat too. Anyone know how much this course is expected to rise by?

Advertisement