Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm start up. Sheep.

Options
  • 20-04-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi.
    I am 31 and have farmed all my life with my father. It has recently became clear he has no intention of reliqishing aspects of the farm entitlements, I.e. Reps, headage etc. While i feel it is impossible for him to continue without my help, it is not possible for me to continue in the current situation. I Have enquired about 20 acres of land to rent and I would wonder if anyone could help me and advise how to go about getting sheep entitlements, apply to reps etc and herd no. and how feesable and labourious it is. I am currently unemployed.
    All advice would be greatly appreciated as I have next to no experience in this side of farming.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

20 acres of land with sheep on it, would only be a hobby..It all depends on whether the land your renting has entitlements already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 superdextaa

No. The land does not have entitlements. Yes, it would be small scale but we all have to start somwhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

probably have to buy entitlements, or try national reserve!might get some of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Sheep, jesus no. They will take to the country on you if you dont have the proper fencing.
    Look at some alternatives like an open veg farming or a petting farm, where you can attract visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello,

As ocokev above said - 20 acres of sheep wont make you much.

If the land isn't fenced for sheep, I wouldn't bother with it. You wouldn't long be spending a good bit o money on fencing.

You could apply to the national reserve - see http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/paymentssinglepaymentschemesforms/2010/2010NationalReserveApplicationForm.pdf

But on top of the financial & qualifications you'd need to meet, you'd need a herd number + single payment for the ground, and all to be done before 17th May :(

If you were to apply, you'd want to apply straight away, or find out if you have enough time.

Best o luck with whatever you do.

Oh - it says "Herd Number: Applicants must hold or have applied for a herd number prior to the 17th May, 2010." so as long as you have applied for it, you might be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

be aware, since this year saw sheep make a nice profit for the first time in years everybody suddenly wants in. The price of breeding stock has gone through the roof and next year will probably see a glut in the market leading to lower prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

too true...
    next year or 2, the country will be over-run with sheep! and prices will fall greatly, has happened before..

Farmers can be fickle, and always looking to make a quick buck, by being greedy! (seen this at 1st hand)
    as how many dairy farmers will buy in a few sheep now,as they've done before...leading to the sheep/lamb market being flooded..leading to a drop in prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MICHMASH76

Hi, goog luck to you. We have are just getting into sheep farming ourselves. We have 50 acres of land and will be fencing some off for the sheep. We are starting off small, then each year we are going to keep the girls for breeding and sell the boys, thus building up our farm. We have just applied for a herd number, we went down to the dvo office in enniscorty and then a lady came out and had alook at the land, a few weeks later we got our number. We own the land. From what I understand if you are renting you have to show tem the rental agreement form. We have had help from friends which has been invaluable...So the next step for us is to get the lambs we are going to get 9 with lambs at foot and see how we do with them- test the water!! When we got the herd number we received a book from the dvo were we have to record all the sheep ie purchase and sales etc, hopefully this will all work out well and we will continue for many years - good luck with your venture I hope you do well - Michelle

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dublinbogger

i am thinking of getting invloved in sheep farming, i have 4.5 acres of grassland and have no experience of farming, any advice where to start ie courses, education, initial outlays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

wiggy123 wrote: »
    too true...
    next year or 2, the country will be over-run with sheep! and prices will fall greatly, has happened before..

Farmers can be fickle, and always looking to make a quick buck, by being greedy! (seen this at 1st hand)
    as how many dairy farmers will buy in a few sheep now,as they've done before...leading to the sheep/lamb market being flooded..leading to a drop in prices

I'm afraid you could be right - I've even noticed a couple of horsey types getting into sheep in the last year or two, including at least 2 well known trainers near my parents place:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The ironic thing is, they're buying (possibly) at the top of a market. No one learns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

i am thinking of getting invloved in sheep farming, i have 4.5 acres of grassland and have no experience of farming, any advice where to start ie courses, education, initial outlays etc

try to get to know a "seasoned" sheep farmer, and maybe spend some time with him , he will soon educate you

Initial outlay, you are starting when sheep prices are at a record high, not the best scenario, most likely circa €3500 for stock plus any fencing/handling facilities etc., needed , best contact your local dvo as well with view of obtaining a flock number

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

MICHMASH76 wrote: »
    Hi, goog luck to you. We have are just getting into sheep farming ourselves. We have 50 acres of land and will be fencing some off for the sheep. We are starting off small, then each year we are going to keep the girls for breeding and sell the boys, thus building up our farm. We have just applied for a herd number, we went down to the dvo office in enniscorty and then a lady came out and had alook at the land, a few weeks later we got our number. We own the land. From what I understand if you are renting you have to show tem the rental agreement form. We have had help from friends which has been invaluable...So the next step for us is to get the lambs we are going to get 9 with lambs at foot and see how we do with them- test the water!! When we got the herd number we received a book from the dvo were we have to record all the sheep ie purchase and sales etc, hopefully this will all work out well and we will continue for many years - good luck with your venture I hope you do well - Michelle

how did u get on Michelle?

Advertisement