Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Cup IV Feature Ideas

Options
  • 20-04-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Blackout Rugby's API is in good shape now, which allows the boards cup offsite to easily pull a lot more information from BR.

I've thought of a few ways to make use of this

-
    Take a snapshot of participating players' energy levels before and after games. The site could easily figure out and record what intensity level was used for the match. Bottom line: we can reliably detect any violation of intensity agreements, with the offending team automatically conceding the game, regardless of the outcome in BR.

-
    We already track team stats, now we can also track player stats. We could add quite a bit to the scouting info already available. Stuff like:
    +average front row weight
    +average second row height
    +average backrow tackle success
    +outhalf's kick/run/pass percentages
    +pretty much anything you can think of

-
    All of the data above could also allow us to make some educated guesses about the manager's preferred tactics, If we can figure out the predictors. For example, it's quite easy to figure out what percentage of possession the team kicks away.

So, what information would you look for when you're scouting an opponent? Use your imagination, almost anything is possible, the tough part will be deciding which stuff is the most important. If we get it right, I see a standalone scouting tool down the tracks - an app or website that can take any team's ID and spit out the strengths and weaknesses of their League, Cup and friendly squads.

Any general suggestions are also welcome. I'm also on the lookout for a nice (must be big) panoramic photo of a stadium for next season. I never tire of seeing Thomond, but others may feel differently!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I presume we can only pull the info we see? Ie weight,height etc and none of the trainable skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

eoferrall wrote: »
    I presume we can only pull the info we see? Ie weight,height etc and none of the trainable skills?
    That's right, publicly available info only. That includes performance stats though - should tell us a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Team of the week
    I've been thinking about doing a 'dream team' of the 15 best performing players in their respective positions each week. It would work much the same as the team of the week you'll see on any of the 6Nations fantasy rugby sites (except better, obviously :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Team of the week
    I've been thinking about doing a 'dream team' of the 15 best performing players in their respective positions each week. It would work much the same as the team of the week you'll see on any of the 6Nations fantasy rugby sites (except better, obviously :D).

Sounds great man, really makes the friendlies so much more interesting.

Cheers

Advertisement