Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financing a new PC

Options
  • 20-04-2010 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I am in desperate need of a new PC but am finding myself quite low on cash at the moment.

I am looking for companies that offer financial plans for PC's + laptops (ie 100 euro a month etc) and any info people might have about these plans

thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes, that it is a bloody rip of on interest and charges. You're better of getting something second hand or go slightly lower on spec if you can save 100+ EUR a month as it is (i.e. save for two or three months and then buy it).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MiCrOMaN1

@nody - I was hoping for some sort of deal perhaps interest free for a certain period!

am really looking for a small list of companies that offer decent pc's AND some sort of financial plan to go with them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

MiCrOMaN1 wrote: »
    @nody - I was hoping for some sort of deal perhaps interest free for a certain period!

am really looking for a small list of companies that offer decent pc's AND some sort of financial plan to go with them.:D

What do you want to use y our computer for?
    * Browsing Internet / EMail
    * Office applications [documents / spreadsheets / databases etc]
    * 3D Gaming

If you dont want to do any heavy work [3D gaming / Heavy CPU work] you could get away with spending less than €300 on a netbook. Komplett don't offer financing, as far as I know. But it's an idea. If you like the idea of a Netbook, try Dixons [shudder] or PCWorld [shudder again]

Just be aware, financing can work out exceptionally expensive in the long run. Unless you need it for business, you don't urgently need a PC now. Save for a month of two @ @150 per month. Then get a Netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MiCrOMaN1

It was planning to be for gaming and video editing so I would need a reasonably high spec machine, but I might check out Dixons and see if they offer some sort of a financial plan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All the large retailers do finance plans (Harvey Norman, PC World , Currys, etc), but they do come with some severe gotchas. If you are late on a single payment, then interest is normally added to the entire loan amount, and back dated to the beginning. This normally runs at between 20-30% APR. The interest free period is often not enough to cover the entire loan payment, so you have to pay off a lump sum at the end, or take up a payment plan that includes interest (at 20-30%).

It might be worth investigating, but if you have any other means at your disposal, do that instead. A Credit Union or bank loan would be a safer option.

Advertisement