Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120Mbit Cable Broadband Launched Today

• 20-04-2010 8:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

But of course this fast eurodocsis technology you need fro fast cable broadband is only actually available in the usual spots where the advanced cable networks are.

As always the answer is Dungarvan Co Waterford where Casey has been the broadband leader in Ireland since they first launched in 1998.

No other town in Ireland has had broadband since the last millenium, none.

30mbits = €40 a month
    60mbits = €50 a month
    120mbits = €60 a month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DOCSIS 3.

You need to chop the cable into shorter segments and add fibre driven cabinets.

Do it on Metro, or pre-upgrade, Pre-UPC Chorus or pre-UPC NTL and you get no increase at all due to contention.

I believe UPC has upgraded to fibre cabinet to coax in some areas of Cork, Dublin, Limerick, but probabily have a lot to upgrades still to do.

Unlike DSL's / Eircom fantasy 24Mbps, almost all people on upgraded fibre fed coax will get over 50Mbps at peak time.

What will the Cap be though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dungarvan has no cap, never did.

Mind you they put the fibre down in the 1990s and plenty of it and probably always had short segments and a plan to shorten them even more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dungarvan has no cap, never did.

Mind you they put the fibre down in the 1990s and plenty of it and probably always had short segments and a plan to shorten them even more :)
    That sounds distinctly like planning ahead, how the hell can anyone else be expected to compete against those kind of sneaky tactics??? ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bob so how did Casey Cable come about, who put down the Fibre and why....I heard some rumor years ago that it was some telecoms company building a test network.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bob so how did Casey Cable come about, who put down the Fibre and why....I heard some rumor years ago that it was some telecoms company building a test network.

Casey Cable identified correctly in the mid 1990s that they would need fibre and set about installing it.

Therefore, on the 28th of June 1998 old Mr. Casey told the Cork Examiner that:

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/1998/06/29/ihead.htm
    Dungarvan,'' he went on, "is in the unique position of being completely ringed with fibre optic cable, and its ability to carry incredible volumes of information makes it the perfect conduit for the internet.

Dungarvan is still the only town in Ireland that is "completely ringed with fibre optic cable" ....12 years later. A MAN is normally short of what one could call "completely ringed" , it goes up the main street all right.Unsurprisingly Dungarvan is the only town in Ireland that has Universal 120mbit Internet Access. Dublin cannot even manage universal 1mbit, never mind universal 120mbits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just out of curiosity has having such fast speeds actually had any economic benefits for the area?

It is surprising that we don't have more of the locals on boards.ie boasting about their excellent bb. Maybe they are too busy enjoying it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    But of course this fast eurodocsis technology you need fro fast cable broadband is only actually available in the usual spots where the advanced cable networks are.

As always the answer is Dungarvan Co Waterford where Casey has been the broadband leader in Ireland since they first launched in 1998.

No other town in Ireland has had broadband since the last millenium, none.

30mbits = €40 a month
    60mbits = €50 a month
    120mbits = €60 a month

How is this new?
    They've been advertising this for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

dub45 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity has having such fast speeds actually had any economic benefits for the area?

It is surprising that we don't have more of the locals on boards.ie boasting about their excellent bb. Maybe they are too busy enjoying it:)

We are modest :)

I didn't know that a faster speed was now available. I may give them a call tomorrow. Any idea what the upload speeds are for the various packages?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As nice as 120mb bb sounds, i don't think I would pay 60 per month for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Eircom --- €40/m - 7Mb Broadband --- 50 GB Cap (currently paying:()
    Cablesurf - €60/m - 120Mb Broadband - Unlimited Usage

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I think I'll move to Dungarvan:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Cabaal wrote: »

Casey TV have built one of the most advanced Cable TV networks in the WORLD - not just Europe. But, this being Ireland, there are not (and never have been) politicians queuing up to laud this family who ARE developing cutting edge technologies. Take a bow, the Casey family.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Id be happy to pay 60/month for speeds like that. Well done the Casey Family Dungarvan. Do they have special access to a fast line?

One question though - why have they not replicated the model in other cities and towns?

kmick wrote: »
    Do they have special access to a fast line?

They installed fibre backhaul from Dungarvan in the 1990's, to Waterford I suspect. There were many cable operators in Ireland 20 years ago but through consolidation we now only have 3.

Casey in Dungarvan. Crossan in Longford ( entry level 9mbits) and UPC everywhere else since they recently took over Clane. This is the list from 1984

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0350/D.0350.198405150048.html

Cable was the Irish .com of the mid 1980s. Only the most competent on that list survived, along with UPC :D Casey is THE most competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

To Waterford? They sure would have to be bypassing Eircom altogether to get those kind of speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Cheers for the Link Sponge Bob interesting to see subscriber levels back then. Some of the old networks are just laying idle now AFAIK . Goes to show the only way to survive is through investment, which the Casey family never fails to do . Strangely no one is calling Cablesurf a monopoly as no one can touch them for speed and value :D.
    Bit of topic but what's the TV line up like VOD, HD etc.

Castlebar was supposed to get cable in 1984 according to that list I linked and supposed again around 2000 when Chorus embezzeled grant money from the government.

Castlebar still does not have Cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Someone post a speedtest on the 120 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Is there any way we can get cable surf to branch out and cover more places.

I'd nearly be willing to donate money for them to do it as they seam very honest.

If I was minister for communications I'd invest in these guys to roll out networks to the rest of the country...God we'd be up with Japan if we did.

DingDong wrote: »
    Bit of topic but what's the TV line up like VOD, HD etc.

TV is rubbish I have to say. No HD or VOD services. Channel line up is pretty poor too. The internet is great though. Only had downtime three times in three years. One of those for a billing fault on my end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    TV is rubbish I have to say. No HD or VOD services. Channel line up is pretty poor too. The internet is great though. Only had downtime three times in three years. One of those for a billing fault on my end.

I'd say TV is hard for them to negotiate, let's be honest, they're small time. It's great their BB is so good, if a small operator can have a bit of foresight and be a success, what's wrong with our big operators?

• Advertisement

According to the ICDG website they had Sky Sports on the basic package back in the analogue days. :eek: No idea about now.

Karsini wrote: »
    According to the ICDG website they had Sky Sports on the basic package back in the analogue days. :eek: No idea about now.

Sky Sports is definately not basic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

again if the government showed some interest or even a big investor im sure that the tv listings could improve along with expanding their network. i know id have no problem paying the 60 for those kinds of speeds.

good to see an irish company leading the way for once!!

tazzzZ wrote: »
    again if the government showed some interest or even a big investor im sure that the tv listings could improve along with expanding their network.

I believe they have turned down big investors before. I am glad they did aswell. Who needs tv when you have an excellent and working broadband service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

tbh the tv thing wouldnt bother me. id just want it expanded to my area! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I would paying 55 a month for 4mbs with IBB!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

And im paying €48 for 8Mb with vf! €60 for 120Mb is astounding value (I thought it was a typo at first!) The government really should be incentivising SME's like Caseys for fibre rollout rather than investing in the terrible mobile "midband" from 3. Hats off to Caseys, at least one bb company knows what Irish customers want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Terrlock wrote: »
    Is there any way we can get cable surf to branch out and cover more places.

I'd nearly be willing to donate money for them to do it as they seam very honest.

If I was minister for communications I'd invest in these guys to roll out networks to the rest of the country...God we'd be up with Japan if we did.

No.

I remember being on IOL no limits dial-up, dreaming of Cablesurf moving into Waterford city. That was 10 years ago. They still haven't expanded outside Dungarvan and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is what they were offering 10 years ago: http://web.archive.org/web/20001202095300/http://www.cablesurf.com/

512kbps broadband, for 17 pounds. It might not sound like alot now - but back then, 512 was the standard broadband speed in Europe pretty much, and 17 quid was insanely cheap. Ireland had no other broadband anywhere. No Eircom istream, nothing. I literally used to look at that website everyday, hoping for news for when they would expand. I was considering getting ISDN even.. :(:(

Advertisement