Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropicana in Tesco

• 20-04-2010 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Tesco have a special offer (yellow price tags on the shelf) on 1 litre cartons of Tropicana, 2 for 4. Great! But......

Right next to it is the new "Family Pack" of the same stuff, a big
    2 litre carton. And it's 3.95 on a regular, non-yellow price tag.

I'm always weary of Tesco pulling stunts like this and I suppose it's just "buyer beware" and all that but still, fairly mean!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

But how much is it normally to buy a single litre of it ?

Bulkier packs would normally be expected to be cheaper anyway as there is less packaging / handling to get onto the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

JayeL wrote: »
    Tesco have a special offer (yellow price tags on the shelf) on 1 litre cartons of Tropicana, 2 for 4. Great! But......

I'm always weary of Tesco pulling stunts like this and I suppose it's just "buyer beware" and all that but still, fairly mean!

tropicana giant pack is 1.75ltrs so no tricks here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't get the trick? that is it cheaper to buy 2L in one pack? Of course it is buyer beware, mulitpacks & bulk packs are very often more expensive, I noticed this when I was 7 years old in the 80's nothing new. I would sooner buy 2x1L and pay the 5cent more as I can leave one in the press and would not tend to drink it as fast, just like I would gladly pay a few cent more for 6 cans of coke than a 2L.

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't get the trick? that is it cheaper to buy 2L in one pack? Of course it is buyer beware, mulitpacks & bulk packs are very often more expensive, I noticed this when I was 7 years old in the 80's nothing new. I would sooner buy 2x1L and pay the 5cent more as I can leave one in the press and would not tend to drink it as fast, just like I would gladly pay a few cent more for 6 cans of coke than a 2L.

there is no trick in the first place as the pack is not a 2ltr pack

there is no trick in the first place as the pack is not a 2ltr pack
    I fail to see any trick regardless of the size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was in tesco last weekend and noticed that two 1ltr cartons of orange juice were cheaper than one 2ltr family size carton.

Now I always look at the unit price rather than the price of the product.
    Superquinn and tesco show these for most items so you can see if the value pack is more expensive than buying the same quantity in standard packs.

rubadub wrote: »
    I fail to see any trick regardless of the size.

i can see the "trick" as the op sees it however if the op were to recalculate the value of the item based on the reality that the comparision product was only 1.75ltr instead of 2 ltr the op would realise that they were getting a saving by buying the offer that was available ie 2ltrs(as in 2x1ltrs) at €4 instead of 1.75ltr for €3.95

still no trick tho

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

i can see the "trick" as the op sees it however if the op were to recalculate the value of the item based on the reality that the comparision product was only 1.75ltr instead of 2 ltr the op would realise that they were getting a saving by buying the offer that was available ie 2ltrs(as in 2x1ltrs) at 4 instead of 1.75ltr for 3.95

still no trick tho

Look, the carton IS 2 litres, not 1.75. The 1.75 litre cartons are not for sale in this branch. And as a result, buying 2 litres for 3.95 is 5c cheaper than two 1 litre cartons for the "special price" of 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

How much is the 1lt normally though ? It is more than likely higher than €2.00. It is €2.29 in Superquinn. So the normal cost of these 2 x 1 Ltrs would be €4.58 - making the €3.95 price for the 2ltr carton good value.

It just happens that there is a promotion on the 1ltr packs. This would have been organised through the suppliers who would have given a discount on the 1ltr cartons. No discount would have been offered on the 2ltr cartons so they are not effected by the offer.

Put it another way when you go to buy 500g cornflakes that have 25% extra free on it do you immediately think the 1kg box is now a rip off placed there to con customers who would assume buying bigger is better value ? it's a similar concept here. Extra value promotion ( price reduction or extra fill ) on one particular sku doesn't mean it's available on all others in the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

At one stage in Tesco, a 48 pack of their own brand Weetabix was dearer than the cost of two 24 packs! It amazed me that nobody would notice this when putting the price tags on the shelf, but I guess you would need to be competent at mental arithmetic to work it out.

There are very few products where the smaller pack isn't more expensive than the larger ones. 1L Avonmore milk is over €1, 2L is €1.79 in the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chriscross1

their as cute

And as a result, buying 2 litres for 3.95 is 5c cheaper than two 1 litre cartons for the "special price" of 4!
    I would go for the 2x1L, I still fail to see any trick, as I said earlier I would gladly pay a few cent more for 6 cans of coke than a 2L, those 6 cans would be less than 2L too.
    At one stage in Tesco, a 48 pack of their own brand Weetabix was dearer than the cost of two 24 packs! It amazed me that nobody would notice this when putting the price tags on the shelf.
    It amazes me that some people presume this is a mistake. Most family size tins cost more per kilo/ml than smaller ones, same with large jars of sauce.

Advertisement