Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating grass, all the time??

Options
  • 20-04-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

morning all,

hoping ye can help me out here, as the title suggests my king charles is constantly eating grass!! it seems to happen most when we're out playing and when he gets a bit tired he lies down and starts munching!! i'm not sure this is good for him and also not sure why he's doing it.

can anyone suggest why he's doing it or how to stop him!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

One of mine used to eat a lot of grass when we were out on a walk first thing in the morning. Sometimes it was to get sick, she'd puke up excess stomach acid.

I found feeding her before walks, and not letting her drink gallons of water straight after walk/play helped, she rarely does it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Discostuy wrote: »
    I found feeding her before walks, and not letting her drink gallons of water straight after walk/play helped, she rarely does it anymore.

Please be careful feeding a dog before exercises, it can lead to bloat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloat).

OP - The sweet new grass is coming in at the moment so lots of dogs are munching down on it, all of mine are like a herd of cows and eating loads recently. Sometimes they over do it and make themselves vomit. Usually, dogs eat grass because they have a dodgy stomach and will eat it either to vomit or to pass through to the other end and help with fibre (is can give them the scuts though!). One of mine eats grass when his glands are in need of draining. It sounds to me that your dog is just having a bit of a munch! Be careful that the grass does not have any chemicals (pesticides, fertiliser etc.) but other than that he'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

Please be careful feeding a dog before exercises, it can lead to bloat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloat).

OP - The sweet new grass is coming in at the moment so lots of dogs are munching down on it, all of mine are like a herd of cows and eating loads recently. Sometimes they over do it and make themselves vomit. Usually, dogs eat grass because they have a dodgy stomach and will eat it either to vomit or to pass through to the other end and help with fibre (is can give them the scuts though!). One of mine eats grass when his glands are in need of draining. It sounds to me that your dog is just having a bit of a munch! Be careful that the grass does not have any chemicals (pesticides, fertiliser etc.) but other than that he'll be fine!

thanks so much for the replies, having been joking that he thinks he's a cow constantly grazing!! i'll keep an eye on him and hopefully all will be ok, thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I dont think its a problem at all, all my dogs over the years have eaten grass at some stage dont think it did them any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

Mine have only started doin this aswell, at least its nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've had 2 king charles in the past and both of them used to eat lots of grass. They seem to do it more than any other dog I've had, so it's nothing to be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Our back garden is paved completely - which is handy for picking up all the poo ;) but the lack of grass means Molly loves to munch on it when out on walks (the boys arent bothered - too busy marking over each others pees!)

She's seven next month and has always done it and it has never made her sick :) I guess she just likes the taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of mine loves to eat the fresh spring grass. It does her no harm and she likes it so I let her off.

I was surprised by how much my two love veggies, to be honest. They'll eat strawberries, peaches, cherries, apple (I give them the crick) and carrot that I've tried so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Cavaliers are very prone to anal gland problems, so he may be eating the grass to help alleviate any excess build up as a previous poster mentioned.

We also have a cavalier and she eats lots of moss/leaves but not the grass itself.
    She's on a fibre suppliment because of gland issues though, so she wouldn't need the fibre from grass, if that's the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mine are at it all day today
    they are like sheep at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

they eat it because they'v too much acid in their stomachs. every now and then is ok but they can actually get worms from eating it. once i see my fella's eating it i keep an eye on it. if they eat it alot over a few days they then start dragging their asses on the ground so i no its worming time!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

If its good enough for Victoria Stilwell, its good enough for me!! http://positively.com/2010/04/22/weed-addiction/

Advertisement