Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re poster abuse

Options
  • 20-04-2010 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

This is a general request. Posters are continually posting stuff like "Mr A post continuus crap" etc. I think these kind of posts are just annoying because they really have no foundation and yet the posts are allowed to remain up. Posters are infracted occassional but would like to see the offending posts removed as they add nothing to the threads. IMO I Really think boards needs to crack down on this type of generalising.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

A reply to this would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm a bit torn on this to be honest. As you might know from forums I moderate, insults, abuse and discussion personalisation (aka playing the man and not the ball) always get action from me or my fellow moderators. That's also generally true of most other forums and should be generally true of all.

Action takes one of a number of forms. Deleting the post, sending a PM to the person who's done it, issuing a yellow or red card to the person who's done it, an on-thread warning, a forum ban. Or a combination of one or more of these things.

That's the intro, less for your benefit than for others. Here's the torn bit - in general I'm a big fan of reasonable justice done reasonably in public. That it can be seen that action A causes result B. In other words, if someone posts something insulting, action is taken against them (or rather, an on-record note is sent to them as a reminder for their benefit and the benefit of the forum) and is seen to be taken against them to dissuade a repeat from other people. That can depend on the thread though and I don't discuss warnings issued to a member with another member (which I see as a good thing). Where threads are thrown off-kilter, they tend to be removed by me. Generally such decisions I make are done with the best interests of the thread in mind, at least in my view. Hence as I issue relatively few forum bans (about four non-permanent bans from Politics in the past nine months for example), when they come people can see why. Gross abuse tends to be deleted with a red card issued as a minimum notification that the forum charter rules exist and need to be followed.

Now, I've answered the above with specific reference to me and you weren't asking specifically about me. But I suspect that other moderators follow the same line of reasoning.

I think this is a bigger question than one that belongs on Help Desk. We could have a good discussion about it and might actually work out a better way of looking at things (which might well be leaving them all there or deleting them all) but as something that will affect the site going forward and is important enough to have a good bit of input on it, I reckon this is definitely something that could and should be discussed over in the FeedForward forum if you're up for starting a discussion there.

yes would agree to that. thanks

As a follow up to this, I took your advice and moved this to feedforum. However midway through the feed forward public forward it was moved to feedback and then closed.
    I am concerned about this because two other posters thanked my original post which I only discovered later.
    While I agreed to thread being moved I now feel thread was bumped and that a fairly good proposal was sidelined.
    Im asking that it be considered once more. Here is proposal I put forward

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65514712&postcount=1

Advertisement