Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMS size on android is TINY

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

anyone having this issue. I have a thread on o2.ie but thought I'd post here to cover other networks.

On my old phone when I send a photo as an MMS it would attach a resized photo of about 200 - 300kb in size. Maximum MMS is 300kb. No problems. Good quality large photo. Now on my android device when I attach a photo it is resized to 10kb or 15kb. Terrible grainy quality and also in some junk "slide show" format. Is this android issue or is there any way around it. I have checked the settings etc and all are right. I would expect the MMS application on the phone to resize a 1000kb photo to 250kb etc for sending in a 300kb mms. not compressing it down to 10kb and leaving 290kb of the mms wasted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I've just got a hold of a HTC Hero to try the same experiment on.
    I go to photo album, choose to share a photo as a message.
    The HTC hero resizes to 45kb not 10kb, and it does not insert the photo as an image in a slideshow, it just attaches it as an image. Just like my old Nokia N82 did. No slideshow crap.
    I went through all of the settings and cannot see the difference that would cause his to be an attached image and mine to be inserted in this slideshow format. Possibly coming from the network? I'm unsure. Slideshow format is rubbish though. I just want to send the larger image like the Hero does. argh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

100gSoma wrote: »
    I've just got a hold of a HTC Hero to try the same experiment on.
    I go to photo album, choose to share a photo as a message.
    The HTC hero resizes to 45kb not 10kb, and it does not insert the photo as an image in a slideshow, it just attaches it as an image. Just like my old Nokia N82 did. No slideshow crap.
    I went through all of the settings and cannot see the difference that would cause his to be an attached image and mine to be inserted in this slideshow format. Possibly coming from the network? I'm unsure. Slideshow format is rubbish though. I just want to send the larger image like the Hero does. argh....

What phone are you using?

HTC Desire (android 2.1)

I found conclusive answer on XDA forums.

It's the fact the phone is new and the operator doesn't have its settings in the mms center. You can use an android app to spoof your network into thinking your phone is an iPhone or N95 and hey presto you get much higher res mms messages. Great. O2 and Voda will both sell the phone soon so the message resizing should scale up once they support it. original message

Originally Posted by Zappza
    It's the operator.
    Had the exact same problem when I was in the UK and used O2. When I
    returned to Norway and Telenor (which have Android devices) MMS are
    sized properly.
    The workaround is to use Handcent or chompSMS and change the useragent
    to The N95 or the iPhone.

Advertisement